“Good stay with Groupon coupon”
Review of Heritage Hotel

Heritage Hotel
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had a groupon coupon to stay one night at this place west of Lancaster, near the Dutch Apple Theater, just north of Route 30.

It is a large older, sprawling hotel with 3 floors that is somewhat scruffy in spots with paint peeling and scuffed older furniture, but the room we had was fine. It had a large comfortable king sized bed with four pillows, fridge, coffee maker and flat screen TV and free wifi. The bathroom was small and somewhat tight. It was after Labor Day with few customers and it was very quiet. There is an outdoor pool and hot tub and an a small exercise room with 4 pieces of equipment. The buffet breakfast was very good with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, precooked French toast and pancakes, cold cereal, cut up fruit, small muffins and danish. There was only wihite bread and English muffins to toast. The staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pnemiller

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I reserved a room for August 18, 2012. It was our 23rd wedding anniversary. We arrived at 4:30 p.m. and our room was not ready until 5:00 p.m.There was only one young lady working behind the counter. There was one woman in front of me and two couples behind me, all of us waiting to check in. The clerk was busy ansewring the phone, dealing with us and trying to raise housekeeping on the radio.The clerk was getting visibly frustrated because she was by herself and because no one was ansewring her on the radio. After many attempts someone finally answered the radio and told the clerk housekeeping was busy and it would be another 30 minutes before my room was ready. My wife called Loxley's restaurant from our room and made reservations. She specifically asked for outside dining and the hostess acknowledged. When we arrived, our name was on the list for indoor dining. The hostess inside directed us to the hostess outside. The outdoor hostess told us, with a bit of an attitude, to go back inside. After we placed our order the waitress came by to tell us, as well as another nearby table, that the kitchen was backed up and it would be a while before we got our dinner. We waited literally over one hour for our dinner to be served. It was brought to us by a different server, and it was not what we ordered. He took it back, but the original waitress brought the same plates back to our table and said it was what we ordered, but it was not. The waitress checked her ticket and saw that the meals she was trying to give us were not what we ordered. We then had to wait for the correct meals. The food was not worth the wait. Two good points - nice room and waitress was nice and accomodating. I left the same message on the hotels web site, but never receievd a response. Maybe they don't read the emails or just don't care.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Terry R
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I was with family dropping a family member at Franklin and Marshall college. We booked late and this seemed the best of our choices. We crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.

We had no problems with the check in and was pleasantly surprised by what was a clean and recently renovated room.

We went out to the bars which were very unexpected. It almost looks like a tree house but within it a 2 lovely bars with fireplaces and couches etc. It's really quite cool. We had a few drinks and retired for the night. The bartenders were VERY friendly and made suggestions for local dinners etc.

It was close enough to F&M about 10 minute drive. We definitely plan on staying here again during family weekend in October.

3  Thank CGriff06
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Let me start by saying I am a road warrior and stay at hotels 3-5 days each week so my opinion isn't biased by 1 or 2 bad things that happened during this trip but the overall lack of customer service this hotel has. I will detail out the good and the very bads with this hotel.

Goods: I had 2 kids (3 and 1) and the hotel pool is nice and opens very early and closes late so they can hang there all day in the pool. The other good piece is the bar and restaurant are very nice and everyone there was very friendly and decent prices.

Bad: Very Very poor front desk staff that were very snotty (Specifically Kim) to name names. The keycard system is horrible. I had to have my keys reauthorized 12 times during my stay, yes that is not an exaggeration it was 12 times. Not to mention the last time my room lock froze up and not even the maid could get in and this was 1am after a wedding my wife and kids had to sleep in the hall for over an hour while they had a working come in and fix the door. The whole hotel booking process and room allocation is absurd, and they have no idea how to block out rooms. We had 50 rooms at that hotel and I had a request many times to just get my wife/kids and inlaws all to stay next to eachother. Also since I booked my stays all separately they made me check out and back in on saturday afternoon because they had no idea how to combine my stays together (how can you run a hotel and not know how to do this?). Also I had a room booked for my inlaws and spoke with 2 staff members that I am paying for it with my credit card and I wanted to have their keys waiting for them at the front desk and each of them said no problem. I had a wedding (as I was in it) and the were coming later. Suffice to say they refused to let my inlaws have their keys or even check in. they are 65+ year old adults and this was all in the room notes had the girl spent 2 minutes looking it up. I got a call during the middle of the wedding that front desk wouldn't let them check in and they had to put up their CC and redo the reservation. The exact situation I told the front desk I wanted to avoid.

Overall a hotel stay is predicated on the fact this is supposed to be as seamless, easy and pleasant experience as possible. Making the customer overexert themselves contiously to deal with the inadequent systems and staff is unacceptable. 1 or 2 small issues here or there at a hotel is acceptable as things happen and that is understandable but a whole weekend littered with issues and rude members and not even 1 manager callback (I left my number with 3 different members of the staff ensuring a manager would call me back but not 1 callback). Also I was told there was never a manager on staff all day friday night, saturday or sunday? I find that unfathomable that there isn't someone managing over a hotel on the busiest days of the week friday and saturday night.

If you are in need of a hotel stay please invest the extra $50 and stay at the Courtyard or Marriott in downtown lancaster and save yourself the headache. Believe me the savings of a few bucks doesn't make up for all the frustration you have to deal with here, and know full well the staff or managers are going to try and resolve your issues (or not pleasantly I should say).

Travelers beware!

6  Thank philliestravelers
Melissa H, Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. A member of our management team is trying to contact you to discuss further your experience and ensure this situation does not occur in the future. We truly appreciate your feedback and will use this as a future training example for our staff.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed on a Thurs and Fri night in August. The room was fine, the location was good, and the restaurant was great.

Pros:
Great restaurant attached to hotel
Comfortable bed, very quiet Thursday night/Friday morning
Tons of parking
Convenient location next to the highway
Great indoor bar with friendly bartender, if you're not into the party scene at the outdoor bar
Free breakfast in restaurant was quiet and relaxing on Friday morning

Cons:
Slightly dated room, tiny bathroom with no counter space
Odd and confusing layout
Very slow check-in process
Our keys were programmed to expire a day before we left
Friday night the place filled up with kids running up and down the hall and making lots of noise Saturday morning (thankfully we were checking out)
Sat morning breakfast was hectic and crowded, and a portion of the restaurant was closed which exacerbated the problem

My recommendation - stay here for great food, great prices, and a quiet relaxing time during the week, skip the weekend.

Room Tip: Stay away from doors and vending machines where kids congregate
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SGreenb
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and twin boys (16 yrs.) stayed here on a Groupon for 3 days from Aug 20, 21, & 22. First of all the Groupon was an excellent deal and we got a $50 gift card for the Loxley Restaurant and 2 breakfast vouchers each day we were there. I read the reviews before booking this hotel so I knew there were good and bad. I am very picky about the hotels we stay in because my biggest concern is bed bugs. I am happy to say we did not ecounter any of these! Our room was spacious and clean. We had 2 double beds and I have to say the beds are not very comfortable (very bouncy so when you turn over you can feel the springs somewhat) but the linens were clean, as well as the towels. It is a stone throw away from a Giant food store (get your Hershey Park tickets there, much cheaper), a Dunkin Donut, Friendly's and Five Guys.) We used our gift card at the Loxley and honestly the food was ok (we weren't real impressed.) Our family went to Hershey Park and it was very convenient to get on Rt. 30 to get there. We enjoyed the breakfast, lots of variety, loved the make your own omelett station! The staff are friendly and helpful with directions (they may need extra staff at the check-in desk.) I have to agree with some who wrote about the smell, kinda musty old, but you got use to it (I bought an air freshner from the Giant and put it in our room.) We did not use the pool because we were busy doing other things but it looked nice and inviting. Yes this is an older hotel so if you're looking for a modern hotel this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a good deal, convenient to restaurants, grocery store and getting on Rt. 30, then this is very convenient!

4  Thank Disneybums
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed with my family and space was okay. With 7 kids wish beds were bigger. Asked for double queen beds was told that hey weren't available. Also although rooms were readily accessible near elevators 216 and 218, room 216 was getting exhaust smell from whatever food was cooking from restuarant below - almost smells moldy too from central air vent. I hate smells especially since I have sensitive nose. Buffet breakfast was enjoyable especially made to order omelets. My stay came with 4 breakfast vouchers a room so that was great savings for my family. Staff needs to be more knowledgeable about surrounding attractions - asked about buffet to go to that showcased the local food and got no recommendation. We were told to check display of brochures and pick ourselves. All in all it was a good hotel to stay in to visit Lancaster and the Amish.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family