“A Refreshing Twist on Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of John J. Jeffries

John J. Jeffries
Reserve with OpenTable
John J. Jeffries is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 567 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mullberry St.
Description: During renovations, workers found in the floor beams a signed inspection stamp--November 5, 1890--with the name of tobacco inspector John J. Jeffries. We named the restaurant after him. We’ve designed our menu based on local, seasonal, sustainable and organic agriculture and delicious recipes. Please join us and taste the difference of local farm-to-table sustainable cuisine in one of Lancaster's best fine dining restaurants. As the Chefs and Owners of John J Jeffries, we believe you will find our passion for supporting local businesses and preserving the land we live on, to be contagiously obvious in how we run our restaurant. All of our meats are raised locally, confinement-free on fresh green grass pastures. No hormones, antibiotics, steroids or forced-fertilization occurs. Our produce is local organic or chemical free. We use local grass fed cream, butter and eggs. We also provide sustainable seafood and support sustainable fisheries.
Newark, Delaware
“A Refreshing Twist on Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

John J. Jeffries had great food in very unique yet elemental form which supported local agriculture (always a plus). The Tartar was amazing along with my girlfriend's Vegetarian dish. The appetizers and dishes were fresh, well prepared, and most importantly, flavorful. This was a very tasty and refreshing experience. Plus the coffee was brought out and freshly pressed in a French press! Wonderful!

Pennsylvania
“I know they can do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

We have eaten at this restaurant every couple months over the past two and a half years. I find their local sourcing philosophy very appealing and it seems to have worked for the most part.

The atmosphere is inviting, the service is great and the drink selection is great. Prices are fair and I would go as far as to say reasonable. Over the years the menu set up has changed. Currently, they have a very large selection of small plates and a wide selection of protein for their entrees.

We had two small plates for starters. The scallop dish was cooked well and the Korean style rice dish with pork and egg was phenomenal. I could easily have enjoyed a double portion of this for my entree.

For entrees, I had the local dry aged rib eye and my girlfriend had the Jamison Farm Lamb. My Rib eye was severely undercooked from the requested medium rare (the steak knife wouldn't cut through the raw center) I requested a refire and this resulted in a ok steak with soggy sides. My girlfriend's lamb was extremely thin and over cooked. It looked like and had the consistency of a burnt flip flop. This was unfortunate as I know how good Jamison Farm Lamb is (i buy it often when I cook at home)

We had the bacon ice cream for dessert which was great and a chocolate cake which was rather lack luster (tastykake like)

Service overall was excellent and cocktails/wine were great and reasonable.

Having had many great meals here in the past, we will be back . There is very good potential here and these errors can be easily rectified.

Normally I would stick to my philosophy that a restaurant is only as good as it's last meal experienced. But with John J. Jeffries I am willing to give it another shot.

2 Thank Remy4378
Rockville, MD
“Greatest Find in Lancaster”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2009

John J. Jeffries is a must-visit if you're in Lancaster. My husband and I went in late July 2009 for an early anniversary dinner and were ecstatic. The restaurant's philosophy of local sourcing is sound and well executed. We're from the DC metro area and found the price-value ratio dead on. (We had a similarly priced but lesser quality dinner the night before in nearby Strasburg.) The quality and ingenuity in the kitchen were evident through all the courses (their steak tartare was the best I've ever had anywhere in the world) and the service was spot on. My only complaint is the wine list. Such great food deserves the high quality wines, intelligently paired. We were frustrated by the predominance of Pennsylvania selections. The wines just simply didn't do the food justice.

Savannah, GA
“The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

John J. Jeffries is the best! Everytime we are in Lancaster we visit the restaurant and found everything the best....service, food, atmosphere. Can't wait for the next time we are in Lancaster.

Minneapolis, MN
“The best restaurant in the country. Period.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

My boyfriend and I are both gourmands and excellent cooks, and we just had the pleasure of eating here. What AMAZING food! We travel for work all over the country, and we've sampled some of the best restaurants in the US, but John J Jeffries is tops. The food was incredibly fresh, inventive, and prepared with terrific skill. The flavor combinations the cooks come up with is unbelievable. They are truly culinary masters.

The service was impeccable. From the waitor to the bartender (who let me sample several different beers), the service was top notch. They knew their product, and they obviously had a passion for it.

The ambience was terrific. Understated, classy, elegant, and comfortable.

And the food was quite cheap considering the quality, preparation, ingredients, and portion size.

We loved the restaurant so much that we are altering our next travel arrangements to take us to Lancaster.

If you love food, go here!