“Excellent food great service”
Review of John J. Jeffries

John J. Jeffries
Reserve with OpenTable
John J. Jeffries is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 575 Restaurants in Lancaster
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mullberry St.
Description: During renovations, workers found in the floor beams a signed inspection stamp--November 5, 1890--with the name of tobacco inspector John J. Jeffries. We named the restaurant after him. We’ve designed our menu based on local, seasonal, sustainable and organic agriculture and delicious recipes. Please join us and taste the difference of local farm-to-table sustainable cuisine in one of Lancaster's best fine dining restaurants. As the Chefs and Owners of John J Jeffries, we believe you will find our passion for supporting local businesses and preserving the land we live on, to be contagiously obvious in how we run our restaurant. All of our meats are raised locally, confinement-free on fresh green grass pastures. No hormones, antibiotics, steroids or forced-fertilization occurs. Our produce is local organic or chemical free. We use local grass fed cream, butter and eggs. We also provide sustainable seafood and support sustainable fisheries.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellent food great service”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The food was excellent and the service exceptionally good. They do know how to prepare great food here.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank AshishV1963

Tinton Falls, New Jersey
“Amazing!! Delish and great staff to boot.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had a great experience at John J Jeffries. We had stayed in Lancaster area for 5 nights and on our last night wanted to do a more upscale dinner (we had our fill of local buffets and whoopi pies). We did bring our 2 daughters (ages 4 & 5), this is not a family place but they very nicely accomodated us and split an entree on to two plates for our girls to share. My husband and I both had the braised beef and the girls had salmon. Everything was AMAZING, so fresh and delish. Farm to table has never been presented so well. We can not wait to come back to the area just to eat here. The hostess was an absolute Doll and our waiter was very attentive as well.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Kmabutterfly
Wilmington, Delaware
“Wonderful eating experience from an amateur foodie”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

While staying at the Lancaster Arts Hotel in July, I booked a reservation for two at John J. Jeffries restaurant. I had read many positive reviews and the appeal of farm to table made the experience more exciting.
I started with artisan cheese plate with crostini and fresh fruit. It was a delight. The four different cheeses were superb. The fruit in season was a wonderful compliment.
My other half greatly enjoyed the berry salad. He could've eaten another.
I also ordered the heirloom tomato and fresh mozzarella salad which was outstanding. The tomatoes were drool worthy.
My companion enjoyed a chicken breast with yukon gold potatoes in a reduction sauce. He loved it.
I ordered a small portion of the steak tartare not the truth. It had been years since I had enjoyed steak tartare. It was good. It was a little heavy after enjoying all of the cheese and mozzarella; however if you are a steak tartare fan, go to town.
We enjoyed two separate delicious desserts (kudos to the pastry chef!) and the french press coffee was like a fine wine in my mouth and went down like butter.
I chose a chilean Sauvignon Blanc which was a lovely compliment to my dinner.

We are actually planning a return to the restaurant in late September.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jennifer C
Livingston, New Jersey
“All around winner”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

John J. Jeffries located in the Lancaster Arts Hotel is a top notch restaurant. We dined there one evening over Labor Day weekend. Our food was excellent. The service was spot on. The hostess personnel need some training in customer attentiveness but I'll overlook that. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and has an excellent bar. It's an all around winner. Even if you don't eat there a stop at the bar to soak in the ambiance is well worth it.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Ed M
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“very fine local restaurant”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This restaurant located in The Arts Hotel, Lancaster, Pa offers an inventive menu in a somewhat intimate and upscale setting,pleasant seating arrangements (not overcrowded) with attentive serving. My small plate, as a starter of Heirloom tomato & cucumber gazpacho was superb beautifully served with delicate shrimp swimming in the soup pool; one of the best I've ever tasted. My main, large plate, of sweet stem farm pork gordiida was a beautiful combination of tastes and textures. My wife's dish, Livengood's fried blue ribbon potatoes and fried pork kracklins was a wonderfully inventive and very tasty.

• Visited August 2013