“Dated”

Ranked #99 of 669 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A favorite of locals, Characters Pub is hidden gem in Lancaster City with great food in a cozy atmosphere. Tucked behind the Courthouse where Christian and Grant street meet Characters Pub is only steps away from the Lancaster Marriot and Convention Center and the Hotel Lancaster. We offer a wide selections of sandwiches, burgers, salads and seasonal entrees. Special events, parties and receptions are held in our urban chic Windows on Queen space.
Reviewed August 14, 2018

OK. Dated interior, needs more social media posts, maybe more live music. There are too many other places now that are more current.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed July 18, 2018

this place has great food and service and is also clean. the taco salad and french onion soup are very good and better than i expected. the waitress was friendly and prompt with taking our order and bringing the food. the walls are decorated with large charcoal drawings of famous actors and actresses. the parking lot in front of the restaurant is not open until after 5pm and we were lucky to find meter parking across the alley. the place is very hard to find but worth it if you can find it.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 19, 2018

my wife and I were really taken with this quite (at the time) quaint place. The staff was very nice and helpful as we enjoyed dinner and a few beverages. The beer selection was very good as I enjoy craft beers and the bar staff understood the different types of beers.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed April 26, 2018

Looking online for a good casual spot for dinner within walking distance of the Lancaster Convention Center, I happened upon Characters Pub, just a couple of blocks north. The menu sure made it seem like my kind of place, so I gave it a try. I’ve taken several trips to the Lancaster area in recent years, and I have to say that the food scene is in pretty good shape thanks to places like Characters.

Characters is a bar, so the expectation is good beer and drinks. While it’s not a long draft list, it’s a nice variety of malty to hoppy to balanced. I started off with a bourbon barrel ale (I think it was Harpoon, but I could be mistaken). Beers like that don’t pop up in every bar, so this was a nice surprise, as I love that malty sweetness and rich whiskey punch at the end. Since I had time to kill after my meal, for “dessert,” I went with their Moscow Mule. It was crisp, refreshing, with just a bit of citrus. The only thing that would have made it better is warmer weather than typical “April in Pennsylvania”.

Don’t let the simple décor and unceremonious entryway give you the wrong impression of the food, though. If the average experience is anything like mine, you can bet on something fresh, satisfying, and well prepared. While I may have been born in Pittsburgh, there’s a southern boy somewhere in me, so I couldn’t resist trying the shrimp and grits. We may have been in Pennsylvania Dutch country, but I’d bet that this dish would hold its own in South Carolina. Something like shrimp and grits can be easily overdone, especially when putting a “spin” on it, so I liked that they kept it simple and authentic. It was a basic but hearty salt and pepper grits, creamy but with good texture, with sweet shrimp that were lightly seasoned, fresh, and perfectly cooked. It was highlighted by thinly sliced crispy pork belly as opposed to cured bacon. That was actually a good thing because it didn’t overpower the other ingredients. It was the best shrimp and grits I’ve had north of the Mason Dixon line. It comes served with asparagus as the seasonal vegetable. I’m not the biggest fan of asparagus, but I can say that it was very fresh, and fortunately for me, grilled and not steamed.

I’d highly recommend Characters Pub both for their food and their drinks. The atmosphere is unpretentious, and the staff is friendly and helpful. If you’re in Lancaster and looking for something casual and delicious, take a walk up Christian St. and head over to Characters.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed April 14, 2018 via mobile

We had a last minute team trip and thought we’d try this place, being local and nearby the hotel. We were quite literally the only people there at dinner time. The server was kind and tried hard, but the menu wasn’t enough to keep us. We ordered drinks and left.

Date of visit: April 2018