“When in Lancaster stay at the Arts”

Lancaster Arts Hotel
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Orlando
“When in Lancaster stay at the Arts”
Reviewed August 17, 2008

Wow what a beautiful Hotel!! I have never stayed at such a unique hotel. There is an Art Gallery in the main lobby and Art hanging in all the halls and rooms which really make this hotel stand out. Our room was very nicely decorated and clean. The bed had very fine linens and the towels are egyptian cotton which made the stay very comfortable. There is also an excellent free breakfast with a nice selection of food...you gotta try the waffles!!

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank snarf420

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Nice boutique style hotel in Lancaster, PA. The only one of this type in an upcoming area. The rooms are fashionable with the old brick and support beams exposed (this hotel is a converted tobacco warehouse). Style in the rooms is a little mismatched, a shame that they choose real ugly "Sheraton type" headboards... Otherwise the rooms are functional, even have a little winecooler (which we used to store milk for our small kids). The beds are a little too soft for my taste however comfortable with lots of pillows.
The bathrooms have a shower, however no handheld shower. I feel that you can expect a handheld shower in an upscale, 4 Star hotel. .In our room (# 406), the AC was not working too well. These are the only negative comments I have about the room. Nice bathroom amenities with an orange fragrance.
Nice bar with not so friendly bartenders. Nice lobby.
Front Desk very nice however did not correct billing error which I detected after the first night (you receive an information folio every night under your door). I booked through AMEX paying with miles i.e. prepaid, and somehow the booking was processed through Travelocity. Hotel gave me the "confidential" folio with the Travelocity net rate twice. This is a little embarrarssing. I am in the hotel business myself and that is probably why i can not understand that the same mistake was done twice.
We did not try the hotel restaurant but wish we should have. Decided instead to go to an italian place in walking distance. Worst italian food I ever had.

• Liked — Boutique Style character
  • Disliked — no handheld showers
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank nico107
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 17, 2008

My boyfriend and I were shocked to find this modern hotel in bucolic, bland Lancaster County. Once an industrial building, the hotel has been gutted and renovated, but the few warehouse-ish structures that remain (wooden beams, large metal doors, partial brick walls) create a unique look.

Check in was a breeze, but it wouldn't hurt if the front desk staff knew a little more about the hotel. The decor in the lobby is very interesting, and I (along with many of guests as well, I'm sure) fell in love with a cute chair. When I asked two gentlemen at the front desk where it could be purchased they were clueless. Fortunately a manager overheard and passed along a brochure. When you've got such an unusual lobby, it's just commonsense that people will be inquisitive.

I highly recommend the independently-owned restaurant inside the hotel. Similar to the hotel, the restaurant had an organic/eco-friendly theme going as well. The menu was a little on the pricey side, but that's understandable considering the fact that it's fresh and locally grown. Just one piece of advice...get some Diet Coke please! Sugar-free Organic Raspberry soda just does not cut it.

The room was charming! Double doors leading to the bathroom and original paintings on the walls were great touches. Additionally, upon returning to the room from dinner and drinks at the bar (I recommend the "Huck Fizz") we found a red rose and two pieces of chocolate awaiting us...well done Lancaster Arts :)

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — No diet soda in the restaurant
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank KChaplinsky
NYC
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We wanted a getaway from NYC and didn't want to travel too long by car. Lancaster was a good choice and the hotel even better. Based on reviews we thought it would be a good choice. The web does not do it justice. It was comfortable, charming and beautiful. Exposed brick, hardwood floors and very modern chic. Make sure you reserve a room in the historic section. You will be glad that you did.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed July 14, 2008

I just stayed at the Lancaster Arts Hotel this past weekend (July 12). My new wife and I stayed there on our wedding night, and the room was fantastic. I had stopped in a month or so prior to our stay just to look at some of the rooms. My wife and I are both artists and are a little picky about the decor. So I wanted to pick a room that wouldn't offend our snobby tastes. After seeing a couple of rooms I picked one that was in our price range and had some simple non-obtrusive art hanging in it. We would have liked one of the suites, but we are saving our money for our honeymoon. So we were very pleasantly surprised to see that we had been upgraded to one of the larger rooms with hot tubs in them when we checked in. Of course the art in this room wasn't to our tastes, but we had no problem looking past that with the big beautiful room we were given. The furnishings in the rooms are all beautiful. The bathrooms are nice and big and the large flatscreens are a nice addition. We were treated to a complementary bottle of wine since they knew we had just been married. We even found a single rose outside of our door later that night. In the morning as we left we found a copy of usa today waiting for us as well. The coffees, teas, bath salts, and toiletries were a nice little treat in an already posh room. There was a mini wine fridge in the room as well as an ipod dock and a keyboard to use the internet on the tv. Our keyboard's batteries were dead, but we popped some in from a digital camera and it worked fine. The staff was very pleasant and were good about giving us our privacy. Thanks for a great stay!

• Liked — The rooms are spacious and clean, good service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PhilaGuy
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Recently spent two nights at this property.

It has all the trappings of a sophisticated property, more at home in a big city than Lancaster. It is very smartly furnished and equipped and in good condition.

Our room was very comfortable indeed with good beds and linens, flat screen TV, radio alarm clock with ipod docking station and all other manner of nice touches. The bathroom was large with only a shower, no bath and had good toilteries and towels.

Included in our room rate was an adequate cold buffet breakfast but it took several requests to get items restocked and running out of orange juice before 9am was disappointing. There was complimentary internet access, nice to have and which seems to be a very important feature to many people in America.

The location is a little remote to the downtown area but there are several very good restaurants within walking distance which we tried, The Ironhill Brewery and the more up market seafood restaurant, Gibralter, both worth a visit. We found downtown Lancaster quiet and a little rundown apart from a few very pretty historic residential streets that are worth a stroll. There seemed no restaurants of note around but with current construction of a new Marriot and convention centre right in the middle of town, things may well improve dramatically.

What let the hotel down a little were the staff. They were friendly and polite but rather amaturish. The doorman watched us struggle with several suit cases on arrival without offering a hand or even opening the entrance doors for us. The reception was totally misinfomed about the independently run restaurant and bar in the hotel, saying they would be both open the evening we arrived when they turned out not to be and we were billed, ready for check out after only one night when we were booked in for two, with house keeping hovering in the back ground ready to strip the room. We had to reign them back! We encountered four different rececptionists over two days and it seemed none knew what the other had been doing.

Tighten up the staff and there is a gem of a hotel there. But despite the inconveniences we enjoyed our stay. I left my reading glasses there and after a quick phone call the hotel kindly posted them to our Philadelphia hotel which I am grateful for.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whinbrook
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Lancaster Arts Hotel the night of our wedding and couldn't have had a more enjoyable evening. The rooms were extremely clean and everything was brand new. The bed was comfortable and the amenities were wonderful. I would definitely stay there again for a night or two, but for something more extended, I would choose something a little more budget friendly.

• Liked — Room Decor, Amenities and Location
  • Disliked — Price - if I had to choose
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple