“Best hotel experience I've had in years”

Lancaster Arts Hotel
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Rochester, New York, United States
“Best hotel experience I've had in years”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Let me begin by stating that I am a Customer Experience consultant. I make a living by scrutinizing customer experiences and helping companies improve theirs' for the purpose of achieving customer loyalty and improved profitability. I look for disconnects, especially those registered subconsciously. My stay at the Lancaster Arts Hotel was a disappointment from a purely professional perspective; I could find nothing wrong. Every attention to detail had been paid to the customer experience from check in to turn down, including the restaurant which was superb. My only minor complaint was the music playing in the bar; it seemed more geared to the staff than to customer tastes. I m a habitual traveller and this was a pleasant surprise; I will definitely return. Maybe next time I'll find something to complain about!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lori D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I have stayed in this hotel twice now. We love the Decor of Art thru out the Hotel and your Room! We love the rooms with the jacuzzi.

Erin at the front desk treated us like family, she loves her job! Also Jason " Johnny Depp" Double was very helpful and cool!

Room Tip: Choose a room way from the Elevators for a quieter evening!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hnter64
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel was unique and fun to stay in, but at nearly $450 (or more?!) after taxes/fees for two nights, it wasn't worth the high price tag. It's a nice hotel and i doubt youll be disappointed with your stay, but it would be more justifiable if you get a good deal -- otherwise, it's a Lancaster hotel at a big city price.

Pluses: great drinks and food at Jon j Jeffries (located in hotel... Franco patron and beef tartar were awesome), unique rooms, artwork throughout, cool architectural features, helpful front desk attendant who provided a list of activities to do in Lancaster on a Sunday (they're limited), and a pretty nice breakfast. Oh and nice turndown service and water bottles in room.

Minuses: didn't know about breakfast the first day (and was difficult to find on the second... It's tucked away), other front desk attendants weren't especially attentive or informative, our room was near elevator and easy to hear noises in hallway, somewhat limited (but free) parking, fluctuations in room temp, and biggest con was the price.

• Stayed July 2013
Rosemont, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Not only does the Arts have very comfortable rooms but the boutiquey vibe is something you'd expect in a larger city. The restaurant and bar are excellent, fantastic menu with some great dishes focussed on local produce and a good selection of beers on tap. They also put on a super breakfast spread, I can actually get a decent cup of tea! 2 thumbs up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dacurd
Boston
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Arts Hotel is a gem—do not hesitate. Exposed brick rooms, comp wifi & bike rental, killer drinks (highly recommend The Bee's Knees: gin, local honey, cardamom, lemon), even got in a swim across the street at the Y with guest pass. It's next door to an awesome pizza & craft beer joint (The Fridge) and a yoga studio. Breakfast was meh, but icing on the cake is they covered my cab when they arrived 50 mins late to take me to the airport (beware of Lancaster Yellow Cab!). Primo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank eastern_sequoia
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family and I enjoyed staying at the LAH during July 4th weekend this year, however there were a few small pitfalls. First, when I was checking in, I waited at the front desk for about 15 minutes while two employees stared at the computer screen. One of them finally asked me if I needed help and told me he didn't know I was waiting for help (when I was clearly standing right in front of them trying to hold all of my belongings). Another issue was that the cot I had ordered never made it to my room until the second night I was there. When I checked in, they told me the cot would be there at some point that day, but never came until I asked them about it the next day. The third issue was the parking - LAH has a very tight parking garage with a second story and only a few spots outside of the parking garage with LAH signs on them. The front-desk employee didn't know if we could park in the spaces that didn't have an LAH sign on them after we drove through the parking garage and couldn't find any spaces. The last issue was that I left my phone charger in the room prior to check-out and when I called about an hour after we had checked-out, they told me the cleaning staff would gladly get it and ship it to me; however, 4 days later when no one called me to confirm that they had even found it, I called to ask and they said they never found it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christa P
Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stumbled upon the Lancaster Arts Hotel online, made our reservations, and crossed our fingers. Boy, did we hit the jackpot! If you travel to be transported, taken out of your everyday routine, this is the place for you: smart, stylish, and centrally located near Franklin & Marshall and downtown Lancaster and within easy driving distance of the beautiful Amish countryside. Our room (in the contemporary annex rather than the historic warehouse building) was spacious and comfortable, and we loved hanging out in the art-filled lobby. Staff could not have been more helpful, making us feel welcome and answering our many questions. Did not have a chance to try the restaurant--our loss, it looks sensational.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family