“The Bee's Knees”

Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Boston
“The Bee's Knees”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Arts Hotel is a gem—do not hesitate. Exposed brick rooms, comp wifi & bike rental, killer drinks (highly recommend The Bee's Knees: gin, local honey, cardamom, lemon), even got in a swim across the street at the Y with guest pass. It's next door to an awesome pizza & craft beer joint (The Fridge) and a yoga studio. Breakfast was meh, but icing on the cake is they covered my cab when they arrived 50 mins late to take me to the airport (beware of Lancaster Yellow Cab!). Primo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank eastern_sequoia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family and I enjoyed staying at the LAH during July 4th weekend this year, however there were a few small pitfalls. First, when I was checking in, I waited at the front desk for about 15 minutes while two employees stared at the computer screen. One of them finally asked me if I needed help and told me he didn't know I was waiting for help (when I was clearly standing right in front of them trying to hold all of my belongings). Another issue was that the cot I had ordered never made it to my room until the second night I was there. When I checked in, they told me the cot would be there at some point that day, but never came until I asked them about it the next day. The third issue was the parking - LAH has a very tight parking garage with a second story and only a few spots outside of the parking garage with LAH signs on them. The front-desk employee didn't know if we could park in the spaces that didn't have an LAH sign on them after we drove through the parking garage and couldn't find any spaces. The last issue was that I left my phone charger in the room prior to check-out and when I called about an hour after we had checked-out, they told me the cleaning staff would gladly get it and ship it to me; however, 4 days later when no one called me to confirm that they had even found it, I called to ask and they said they never found it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christa P
Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stumbled upon the Lancaster Arts Hotel online, made our reservations, and crossed our fingers. Boy, did we hit the jackpot! If you travel to be transported, taken out of your everyday routine, this is the place for you: smart, stylish, and centrally located near Franklin & Marshall and downtown Lancaster and within easy driving distance of the beautiful Amish countryside. Our room (in the contemporary annex rather than the historic warehouse building) was spacious and comfortable, and we loved hanging out in the art-filled lobby. Staff could not have been more helpful, making us feel welcome and answering our many questions. Did not have a chance to try the restaurant--our loss, it looks sensational.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BethNH
Connecticut, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I'm sad every time I have to check out.

It's cool, it's original, it's oh so comfortable. The staff are warm and welcoming. The location is perfect - the only hotel so easily in walking distance to Franklin & Marshall. And yet, still in walking distance to downtown.

So far ahead of all the chain hotels in the area!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary C
East Meadow, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed the Lancaster Arts Hotel. We had two king deluxe rooms, each different, both charming, both extremely comfortable and well thought out, and the gym and parking helped to make it a perfect stay. The breakfast was refilled constantly and had an excellent variety of good things to eat... far better than the "extended continental" they claim. It is always better to be surprised with greater goodness than advertised! The gym had first rate equipment in a clean environment and was another surprise since it is located in the garage. The staff was always helpful and the lobby inviting to sit awhile. We traveled with our adult married children and all of us thought the hotel was outstanding. My son enjoyed swimming at the Y across the street with a courtesy pass.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, stylish, different.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank larktrav
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The LAH is a real gem as is Lancaster for a weekend getaway. The room was in top shape with complimentary roses and chocolates. I'm guessing the LAH installed new elevators because unlike a couple other comments on TA about rooms near the elevator, our room was right next to it and the elevator was one of the most quiet I had ever ridden on. We could not hear it in our room at all. The continental breakfast is more like a full breakfast with lots of food including good waffles and ham'n egg wraps. The restaurant in the hotel, John J. Jeffries is one of the best we have experienced. The hotel is close to downtown Lancaster and close to F&M College as well as the baseball park. Thumbs up on this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian236
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 8, 2013

love to be different, stay unique places. appreciate art? THEN the Lancaster Art Hotel should be your next destination! THE UPSIDE: Upcycled, creative, very attentive staff, spacious rooms and bathrooms, short walk to downtown, so no driving/parking issues. First Fridays are WONDERFUL...super crowded and lots to do and see. Restaurant was INCREDIBLE!!! Amenities were super good, since NO one really supplies them any more. Small touches of sketch pads and clever Do Not Disturb signs, add to the well thought-out experience. THE DOWNSIDE: because it was a warehouse, it is loud in the rooms, you can hear above and below noise. Doors are heavy and SLAM shut...so if you are there to REST...ask for quiet area (which we will do next time).

Room Tip: Ask for a "quiet room" unless u wont be in the room very much...cause others milling aroun...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple