“Nice tour/something to do on a Sunday”

The Amish Farm and House
Ranked #6 of 76 things to do in Lancaster
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: In 1954, the play, “Plain and Fancy” was a smash hit on Broadway. The Broadway hit drew a spotlight as the play was featured around the Amish lifestyle and their home: Lancaster County. This was the tipping point of a tourist boom the progressively grew from 25,000 annual visitors to 2,000,000 by 1960. Due to the increase of tourists and invasion of privacy of the Amish, Lancaster-local Adolph Neuber believe that there should be a place to accurately learn about the Amish, while respecting their privacy. An Amish family opened their home and property to visitors for tours. Since 1955, The Amish Farm and House has been connecting the Amish community and the public. Tour Lancaster County’s Amish Farm and House. Opened nearly 60 years ago, The Amish Farm and House has hosted travelers from around the world visiting Lancaster County. Experience Lancaster County’s Premier Amish Attraction with our farm and house tours.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My visit to the Amish Farm and House on a Sunday was actually better than anticipated. The tour guide was knowledgeable and patient in answering questions about the amish lifestyle.

The farm and outdoor exhibits was also nice. Worth the $8.25 for tour option #1.

2  Thank Pmaryl

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Echoing the other entries – don’t let the location in the Target parking lot fool you!

We took the advice of others on TripAdvisor and made this our “Amish experience” in between visits to the Strassburg Railraod and Dutch Wonderland. We were not disappointed.

The Amish Farm and House combines an informative guided tour of an actual old Amish home with the freedom to explore the rest of the farm at your own pace. We spent a couple of hours there over Labor Day weekend, and, if it were not for our packed schedule, our kids (3 & 5) could have spent much more time. Live animals, a playground, places to sit, Amsih crafts with Wes, and more. There were also bus tours, a fine gift shop, and other options for touring the area. The staff were helpful and friendly. Not to be missed.

1  Thank WTNYC
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The tour through the Amish house and farm was very interesting. The tour guide was very knowledgable and a local. This tour discusses the teaching practices, the lifestyle, and why the Amish live the way they do. Way more than I knew.

1  Thank PhotobugBNA
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We did self guided and guided tour at this location. I have visited other Amish locatons and I found this very average. The guided tour was informed to a degree but I only saw one real Amish person and I felt that the information was limited. The farm was small and not really believable . I was disappointed that this tour which cost $8.50 was too commercial. The gift shop was the biggest attraction. Note: We were told the Amish receive no monies from this attraction.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We only did the countryside bus tour for $20. I thoroughly enjoyed this tour and would highly recommend to anyone planning a visit to experience the Amish countryside. The tour drive is insightful and I can say that I was not bored.