“Great new restaurant in Lancaster, PA”
Review of Hunger N Thirst

Hunger N Thirst
Ranked #84 of 611 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hunger-N-Thirst is a combination of a Gastropub, Specialty Retail Store, and Bottle Shop. The Gastro Pub features a seasonally changing menu with 24 craft drafts and a wide selection of cocktails and spirits. The specialty retail store focuses on artisan products ranging from cheeses to cured meats. The bottle shop has 400 different kinds of beer available for purchase to go.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Hunger and Thirst is a wonderful new addition to the dining scene in Lancaster, PA. While the menu is small, there are plenty of choices and everything we've had thus far has been delicious. The burger, the mussels, the proscuitto with duck egg - I can recommend them all. The restaurant has a great drink menu too. The interior decor has an industrial feel that is simple and inviting, and the outdoor patio is spacious and lovely on a warm evening. Staff are knowledgeable about the food and drink, and are friendly and helpful. Great place for lunch or dinner!

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Bartender called three or four pet names I finally said call me by my name. Then they called me another pet name! the Person next to be served wrong beer and still charged. They need to retrain their staff.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Wow! Love the decor, love the food. My only disappointment? That my first visit was for lunch and I wasn't able to enjoy a beer. There were three of us for lunch and we started with the asparagus fries. Perfection, and the smoked mayonnaise accompaniment is addictive. I've been dreaming about another meeting and can't wait to indulge. I opted for a hamburger next, and it, too, met the test. A friend who was not returning to work enjoyed a beer, and the server was on the mark with her comments and recommendations. By the way, for lunch one enjoyed a bowl of the daily soup special and the other the Jamon Serrano Tartine. Both were thoroughly pleased.

Another huge plus? After lunch the three of us strolled through the marketplace. One selected a delightful array of gifts for her daughter's upcoming wedding shower. Almost of her choices were made of eco-friendly materials. I selected a finishing salt and spice blend that I have since enjoyed very much, and, thanks to Sam's expertise, I brought home antipasto for dinner that night, including a variety of cheeses, olives, pate, salami, and French bread. Can't get any easier than this! Sam is willing to shave a slice of cheese for you to taste so you know you're bringing home a winner.

Next time: dinner. I can't wait. It's clear the owners love food and love sharing their knowledge. Try it. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We arrived at 7:15 on a weeknight so the store was closed and we chose to bypass the bottle shop. This is a review of our dining experience only.

My husband and I were immediately turned off by the hostess. Upon seeing us as she approached, she let us know that it might be a 30 minute wait. Interesting, we could see an empty table for 2 over her shoulder. Before we even got a chance to respond, she said she would double check on that and walked away. She returned to say that while she did, indeed, have a table, she wasn't going to seat us right away because she felt like she should check with the server of that section first. What? I have honestly never had this experience at any restaurant before.

This hostess needs training. Yes, it was full when we got there, but if the servers are getting tied up, the hostess should be seating people where available and offering to get them started with their drink order. In fact, at the end of our evening when the place had completely emptied out, we overheard her sit another couple and make excuses that their server was tied up for the moment and walked away. We got our dessert and paid our check, and that couple still hadn't been served. And by that time, the place was empty. So, clearly there are some service related issues here.

Another pet peeve we had was the cow bell. Really? A cow bell to announce the kicking of a keg? I understand they pride themselves on constantly rotating taps and keeping the beers fresh. The beers we had were very good and the list was quite nice. However, this celebratory element to announcing that a beer was now unavailable struck me as immature and out of place. The last time I remember the kicking of a keg being celebrated was at a fraternity house in college. This activity might prove popular with the F&M kids, but I doubt the prices will be. Besides, the crowd that was there was decidedly mature.

The food experience was mixed. My bibb salad would have bee perfect had the lettuce been torn. It's probably my own issue, but I don't like having to cut up fully intact leaves when I get a salad. Not that I expect it to be chopped up small, but somewhere within the range of bite sized would be good. Despite that inconvenience, the sherry vinaigrette was great and the flavors melded beautifully. In general, I was hopeful about the rest of the meal. I had ordered the duck tacos and my dining partner ordered the asparagus fried and the mussels with a side of french fries. The duck taco was terrible. Sorry, it just is. I LOVE duck confit. It is one of my favorite things to order out. But you could barely taste it, or anything else, because it was so overwhelmed with saltiness. This dish should have potential. It looked great when in arrived. The rich duck should have been nicely contrasted with the fresh sliced radish and the pickled onion. But it was so over seasoned and the sauce on it was so overwhelming that you didn't get any of that.

My partner is a bit of a mussels connoisseur, so I was anxious to hear what he thought. His response was basically, "meh." Not bad, but not great and something seemed off about the broth. I tasted some broth and personally felt it had a chicken-y taste and mouth feel to it. I don't know if they used chicken broth to steam the mussels, but it didn't work great if they did. The asparagus fries, however, were out of this world. They were really a home run, including the aioli dipping sauce. Really spectacular, such a simple thing but they pretty much saved the meal.

I gave Hunger n Thirst 3 stars because I think they are still working out some kinks and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. The space they created is gorgeous, but I fear that location may work against them, especially when combined with mis-steps in the food and service. I'm always try to support new culinary endeavors in Lancaster city (and county). I want them to succeed. I also want them to be good. This place isn't good yet, but I'm willing to give it another try and hope that it gets better.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Good: An interesting specialty market, great for unique gifts for foodie friends. The cheeses, olives, and other fresh food in the deli cases are high quality.

The carry-out beer is a must-see for fans of microbrews.

The restaurant offers delicious food, from charcuterie to salads to sandwiches and steak. The burger easily ranks in the top three I've ever had - great depth of flavor. The chopped salad had a magnificent blend of ingredients, and the mussels came in a terrific broth. The beer on tap was excellent - a lot of them wouldn't be familiar to the average person, but you'd remember them once you had them.

The Bad: The menu, while delicious, was limited. A great place to go for appetizers and drinks, but may not appeal to everyone if you just go for dinner.

Not a place to bring little ones - no kid's menu, no booster seats. It doesn't aim to be a family restaurant, to be fair, but if you were thinking of bringing the whole crew, keep this in mind.

The prices are slightly higher than I would expect for the food offered.

Overall: A welcome addition to the Lancaster food scene, with ambitious drink and food offerings. I hope the menu expands soon. Come here to drink and nosh with friends.

1  Thank Dave D