“Really Good, but not great...”

Hong Kong Garden Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #66 of 570 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: Voted BEST Chinese restaurant in Lancaster County by Lancaster County Magazine from 2004 to 2012.Established since 1980. Our Goals are to provide our customers with fresh quality delicious Chinese Cuisine at reasonable prices, generous portions, a relaxed atmosphere, and excellent services.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Really Good, but not great...”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Got the family a variety of dishes the other day from this long time Lancaster restaurant. The orders included: Mongolian Beef, General Tso's , Shrimp w/ Bean Sprouts and Sweet and Sour Chicken.
We have eaten at the restaurant before, and as others have noted, it is in a strip mall just west of town. This time, we ordered takeout, so any observations about atmosphere, service, etc are not relevant in this post.
The food is, unfortunately, not as outstanding as it used to be. The General Tso's was very good, but was not very spicy. There was plenty of meat in al the dishes anfd the Mongolian Beef was also very good, but , once again , no real spice. I think this was my problem with the whole meal, just nothing very special; especially when you compare the price with some of the lower cost Chinese restaurants around. The Sweet and Sour Chicken was especially bland and the Shrimp was not much better. It just seems like they need to kick it up a notch to get it back to where it was. I wish them the best.

• Visited January 2013

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Heard Great Things, Experienced Bad Things”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My family and I ate at Hong Kong Garden today (7-28-2012). There were five adults and three kids in our party.

I've heard great things about this place for many years. The atmosphere is that of a cheap, hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant. That isn't such a big deal, because those places can often have great food. Not this one.

Everyone in our party had egg rolls. They were almost completely flavorless, and were dry as a bone. I've eaten microwaved frozen egg rolls that were much better. I expected much more.

The Won Ton soup was excellent! Among the best I've had. Hong Kong Garden gets two thumbs up for their Won Ton!

The server wrote down our food orders, but not our beverage orders. As a result, she started to forget things about our drink orders, and actually started expressing annoyance at us because of it. If she had just used a pen, that could have solved her problem. She never brought out any hot tea, despite our request for it.

Our food came out fast. That was nice. The server brought out, with our ample dishes, a plate of rice for all of us to share that had about two cups of rice on it. You've got to be kidding me. Has the price of rice increased so much that it is now too expensive to provide a generous portion with an entre?

I ordered the Kung Pao Chicken. It was among the worst I've eaten. It lacked almost entirely any flavor. My wife ordered the chicken with vegetables. It also had no flavor. My Dad ordered the chicken and brocolli. It also lacked in flavor. All three of those dishes were a complete failure.

My brother ordered the chicken with cellophane noodles. It was good. The noodles were a bit soggy, but the flavor was good. I don't remember what my other brother ordered, but he seemed to think that it was good.

This was a very disappointing experience. The food was not good (with the exception of the Won Ton) and the atmosphere of this place is rather poor.

I have no plans to return. There is a chinese place on Centerville Road near the Giant that is terrific. When in Lancaster, I'll go there.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank PABryce
“Good Chinese Food!”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I've gotten take-out at Hong Kpng Garden several times, and have yet to be anything but happy. The owners and staff are efficient and friendly, hte service prompt and efficient, and the food is consideraly better than the run-of-the-mill Chinese restaurant. Will return here for take-out, and will be ahppy to introduce friends and family to Hong Kong Garden.

Their website, however, is pretty much a waste of time - but that's not why I go to this place.

• Visited June 2012
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Very good food and good service!”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This place has never let me down for good chinese food! The staff there is very welcoming and most have great english!

• Visited March 2012
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Best chinese food in Lancaster!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The shrimp toast is to die for!!! Can't find it anywhere that can make it better. Ditto on the steak on a stick!!

Visited May 2012