“I guess Lancaster likes a different kind of Italian”

Lombardo's Italian American
Ranked #150 of 584 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2009

I always steer away from chain restaurants when traveling, if possible. The hotel recommended this as the best local Italian restaurant in the area. Added to the rating it has on TripAdvisor, I was good to go. Wow! What a let down. They have been in business for 60+ years and the facility looks like the last remodel was in the early 1970’s. Atmosphere was pretty much like an Old Country Buffet or Denny’s? The owner suggested we try the house specialty, handmade ravioli. Wow! What a let down. It was bland and completely unappealing. Overall, I have to think their version of Italian is a local favorite for a reason. Coming from a city with a rich Italian heritage and restaurant district, I look for more than run of the mill 1950’s bland Italian.

1  Thank tmnkwd
There are newer reviews for Lombardo's Italian American

Reviewed September 20, 2009

Don't believe the negative reviews. Some people will complain about anything.. This is my favorite restaurant and I've been coming here for years. I just spent my 50th birthday celebration there last night.The sauce is incredible and the meatballs...heaven. If you're looking for authentic Italian food..plenty of it and friendly wait staff,,,here it is.
Definately give it a try. I've been back a thousand times!

Reviewed July 7, 2009

Advised by the staff of a local hotel we visited Lombardo's. The service was prompt and friendly. The Salad and garlic bread were tasty but that was the end of anything with a flavor. My wife had a pasta dish with hot sausage and I had a New York Strip neither of which had much flavor (we expect an Italian tomato sauce to have a rich garlic flavor). My experience with Italian food (which Italian cuisine is by far my taste of choice) of all sorts is richness and this food was just bland. After having the opportunity to explain this to the waitress and sending three quarters of each meal away i was really disappointed when the bill arrived reflecting the full charge.

2  Thank olesouthernboy
Reviewed July 3, 2009

My wife and I went to Lombardo's not too long ago after I've been hearing about this place for YEARS, but never went. It was "ok." My wife and I place ATMOSPHERE heavily. When I say "atmosphere" I mean the actual interior designing...the walls were blah...no mood lighting, etc. I felt a little "packed in." It sort of took away from the food. I say "eh" at best.

1  Thank lancguy1
Reviewed August 10, 2008

...but if you're looking for haute cuisine, this is not the place. Menu is simple and most entrees are very good. Very reasonably priced. Friendly service, as they're into the 7th decade of family ownership.