“Caring hosts and special experience”

EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 22 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was the perfect place for my mother, two daughters and I to stay during our 'girls trip' through Amish country. The top floor Bowman Suite was spacious and beautiful and just perfect for the four of us. The owners are new and really motivated to make it special for guests. They were extremely friendly and accommodating. They cooked interesting and delicious breakfasts and provided us with information on local sites. They also arranged for us to visit an Amish home and have dinner, which was quite a treat and something we will never forget. The interior - packed with antiques - had wonderful touches, such as an organ and guitar for guests to pick up and play; cookies and popcorn in the evenings; and a comfy den with hundreds of DVDs.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jill B
There are newer reviews for EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was my 4th B&B and my neice's 1st. Our stay makes me wonder why I don't stay in B&Bs more often :). It's far enough from "touristy" stuff to be relaxing but not too far to experience all that Lancaster & Lititz. has to offer. We were able to get to everything (shopping, tours, etc.) in less than 20m. Checkin/out was easy and I'm glad we stayed an extra day. The home is large enough to offer a level of privacy that you wouldn't normally expect in shared environments. Although, we spent alot of time out exploring the area, the time we spent at the B&B was quiet and comfortable and smelled great all the time :). Of course, when coming in late at night and trying to be considerate of other guests...the nice hardwood floors will give you away every time :). for our The 1920-30s background music on the first floor in the mornings and and during breakfast was a nice nostalgic touch. The common areas are nicely furnished with comfortable sectionals for TV viewing. Not only do they have a lot of DVD's but popcorn and cookies were available for your viewing pleasure. As a guest with a very restrictive diet, I just wanted to say thanks to Diane for making every attempt to make breakfast a pleasurable experience. Breakfast was plated very nicely and I truly appreciated the extra effort! The gardens weren't quite ready for casual enjoyment but once the new owners finish with a little TLC it will be gorgeous and you'll love sitting out there it's like a private little oasis. Parking is easy but if you arrive later at night pay close attention to the private entrance its easy to pass. I think our only complaint would be the dainty coffee/tea cups :). I'm a huge tea drinker and while tea options were delightfully plentiful here...the tea cup sizes weren't so maybe add some hefty mugs for tea drinkers who want to watch movies :) Be sure to take advantage of the "Gift Shop" before you adventure out or begin to explore. The owners have travel brochures and information on local attractions there which is a HUGE help. Even better they have menus for local restaurants and eating establishments. There are a few small eateries nearby but I would advise venturing further for some good food. We didn't get to try the Italian restaurant across from the B&B so I can't say how good it is or isn't but definitely try the Stockyard Inn it's worth the 15m ride from the the B&B. Our stay at the Bowman house made the "Lancaster" experience more memorable. It isn't hard to visualize a large group stay, a girls getaway or couples retreat here. I couldn't see our staying any where else in Lancaster - Great stay, Great Atmosphere, Great Owners and worth every penny

Room Tip: My niece and I stayed in the Murphy room which also offered access by a back stairway. Since we wer...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tayoka
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Although the B&B just recently changed owners within the past few weeks, the new proprietors seem highly committed to preserving the overall excellence described by the other reviewers. Everything about my stay there was perfect. The grounds (interior and exterior) were very well maintained, the rooms had a wonderful Lancaster County country feel to them, but had the desirable modern conveniences (TV, AC, etc.), and the breakfast was tasty. I also respected (especially since I fit two of the categories) that they gave a discount to teachers, nurses, firefighters, musicians, etc. The price was right to begin with, but this was a very nice little touch that just added to the value. Overall, it was a wonderful place for a little weekend get away.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jason G
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I found E J Bowman House on Trip Advisor, and this is my first time in a B&B ever anywhere. I must say that the stay was wonderful. Great rooms, with TV with a million channels, Air conditioning and comfortable bathrooms. They have an impressive DVD collection, lot of my favorite movies. As I had to work most of the week in the hospital, they were very helpful in giving me bus routes and so forth. Alice is great, her breakfasts are excellent and she makes you feel at home.Murphy has a lot of interesting things to say and I was glad to have those conversations as I was staying alone and besides work not much to do.Why should anyone stay in a hotel, when you can stay in Bowman's House. I hope to stay there on a real vacation next time.P.S thanks for the grammar tips

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lakshman A
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The title pretty much says it all, but I suppose I can elaborate a little bit here, too. My wife and I don't live too far away, but we were looking for a nice place to spend an evening away from our home. Well, we found it! Murphey has a vast depth of knowledge of the area and it a wealth of recommendations if you're looking for something to do in Lancaster. The breakfast was delightful and accommodations were lovely, as was the experience overall. I'd recommend this B&B to anyone looking at staying in the Lancaster area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Thank you Murphey and Alice! I would definitely stay here again. Very warm and welcoming inkeepers, fabulously decorated, beautiful and spotlessly clean room and a breakfast to die for. Alice is so charming and Murphey is wonderfully eccentric and interesting in the best possible way. I would not stay anywhere else in the area. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. If I could give you more stars, I would!
THANK YOU AGAIN.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
murpheys, Owner at EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Thank you so much for being relaxed in our home
during what is a difficult time.
We appreciate and value your comments and feeling.
We think that you too deserve a some stars in your life as well.
We hope that we can share more time together when these life passages become resolved.
Until then... relax, accept what you can, always live love, enjoy all those emotions as signals
that you are really alive.
We value your articulate way of sharing your thoughts about our home, service, Alice's culinary offerings and Murphey's 'whatever'.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Alice & MurphEy provide a wonderful bed & breakfast experience. for us it was about comfort & TLC. early am walk in their serene & beautiful garden & a delicious breakfast to fortify us for the day ahead. They are entertaining, informative, talkative, caring,amusing & engaging...not to mention MurphEy will be happy to teach you a thing or two about just about ANY subject!!! the house is inviting, cozy, warm & friendly. Even if the Lancaster area didn't provide infinite possibilities, you could find plenty to entertain & amuse & inspire you just within the walls of Bowman House!! Susan & Dadjohn

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Your articulate way of describing our home, our service, Murphey's unique presentation, our gardens and Alice culinary offerings are appreciated and valued.
We hope that we will share some more time together.
Until then stay well, tell great jokes, laugh,
and enjoy each breath.