“great local show”

Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre
More attraction details
Owner description: Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre is a year-round entertainment facility that performs eight mainstage musicals and four childrens productions each year as well as hosts several tribute concerts. Our theatre seats 370 and we offer a full all you can eat buffet before each show. The buffet menu changes with each show and can be found on our website. There is also a Gift Shop and Art Gallery within the building. We offer special rates for groups of 16 or more and offer special discounts and perks for season subscribers. Let us cater your next special occasion in our Encore Room!
Christiansburg, Virginia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“great local show”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

You get a Dinner and Show, seen Cats for a local show was just as good as the Broadway Play. The shows alway are changing. Food was buffet and was Wonderful..

Douglassville, Pennsylvania, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Always a good experience”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've been coming to Dutch Apple for a few shows now. My experience has been consistently good. The buffet is standard buffet food, I can't rave about it, but it's not the worst I've ever had. The wait staff is excellent. They are at attentive as they can be with the number of tables they have and they will accomodate most any request (I drink a lot of water - they brought me a carafe).

The shows are good. I enjoy the performances, the music and atmosphere. Its not Broadway, but the value for the money, for an evening (or a weekend) out is worth it! Its easy to get to, there is a hotel right next door, what more could you ask for?

1 Thank Trish K
Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Cats”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I saw Cats. We were there for the dinner buffet as well. We arrived early. (we live about 60 miles away) The theater was very nice and clean. Since we were early, (I think we were the first to show up) we had time to walk around etc. A nice man that works there also gave us a quick tour of the place. Since it was a beautiful day, we took pictures outside by the beautiful gazebo.

The buffet was nice. Only complent it was too tight. At first it wasn't too bad, but as more and more people came to the buffet, it was getting way too crowded. The food was good. The desserts were delicious, and there were many to chose from. We were too stuffed for the ice cream bar. The servicers took the empty plates away fast--and I mean fast--the one server took my husband's dish as he was still eating!!--we did have to wait a little for more water, but the servers were really hustling around, as they were really busy with everyone. The servers were really nice and did their best for you.

The show Cats was good. I never saw the original one on Broadway, so I can't compare. I must admit, I had a hard time following it (the story)--but I enjoyed the dancing, singing, the makeup and costumes. After the show, we got some nice pictures of some of the Cats out in the lobby greeting the guests.

Visited June 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A Very Enjoyable Evening”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went to see Brigadoon. The performance was great. We were at the second row of tables off to the side, next to the buffet. No problems with that at all. We weren't in anyones way and they weren't in ours. The food was great. They have a small buffet, but they get a lot into it. Deserts were on tables in front of the stage off to the side. There were tables on both sides of the stage. Delicious apple pie. Any time you go to a dinner theater, you'll be sitting in restaurant chairs. This is the one drawback to this type of show. It's the same at any that I have ever been to, except those benches at Medieval Times. If you don't go for dinner, there are a few theater type seats available. After the show, some of the performers came out to the lobby area and did about a half hour show, which really added to the pleasure of the evening. I highly recommend this place.

1 Thank Bill L
Enola, PA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Love this theatre...Cats was not good though!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am so surprised by all of the rave reviews. I love the Dutch Apple. I have been going there for years and plan to continue to do so, but they just really missed the mark with this production. I have seen Cats over a dozen times everywhere from London and NYC to Cumberland Valley High School and the thing that I had the hardest time accepting was that the high school did a better job in every way. I think the problems were mostly with the directing/production. First, the costumes were low budget looking. They didn't fit, the tails were weird, some were super faded (Munkustrap), etc. I was excited to see that they were going to include a rarely seen number, the Pekes and the Pollicles, but they didn't use any props or costuming and the Rumpus Cat was just Rum Tum Tugger... it was weird. If you don't have the budget for it, then just don't include that number. It is almost never done professionally anyway. I was surprised at Deuteronomy's kidnapping that they didn't even throw a net over him to help first-timers follow the story. It was little things like this that didn't make sense. And from a direction stand point, what was with all of the hissing?? It was just way too much! Hissing is appropriate at certain parts, but they did it consistently through the entire show. It made them sound like the unhappiest bunch of cats ever. It is a shame because most of the actors were super talented and great singers. Bombalurina and Demeter were great! Rum Tum Tugger could loosen up a bit, but he had a great voice and I respected that he didn't "overdo" the part which happens a lot with the pros, so he was good. I think this is still great for kids and, in my opinion, Cats is like pizza, even bad Cats is great! Their interaction with the crowd was amazing and made for a unique and unforgettable experience, but for me, it was just disappointing. I think the directors/producers missed a great opportunity with some great talent. I have read a bunch of reviews raving about it and I totally support local theatre and I know this is a large undertaking, but I just had to be honest. This is a great theatre, but sometimes constructive criticism can make a great place even better so I hope this review is received the way it is intended.

Visited June 2013