“Labor Day visit”

Circle M RV & Camping Resort
Fairfax VA
“Labor Day visit”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I had read about Circle M campground via the internet. As we were taking our 11yr old grandson with us camping, Circle M sounded like just the place for him with it's indoor waterpark and other amusments.
As it was Labor Day weekend we were told to arrive early as getting a RV site would be on a first come first served basis. I had made reservations for us four months earlier through Circle M's website. I had no trouble checking in, front desk very nice, but busy.
Upon arrival it was plain to see that the campground was very crowded. We scouted out a site along side the river that could take our 36ft 5th wheel trailer. There weren't many sites available for our rig with full hook-up, so we settled for water and electric only.
The campground itself shows that it is used constantly and therefore shows age. The sites are generally not very level and can be muddy after rain, but that's camping. Sites away from the river were crowed and hap hazard in appearence. Many trailers are to close to one another for any kind of privacy and gave the look of being more of a trailer park then campground.
We took our grandson to the indoor waterpark where he had a great time using the water slide and other persuits offered there.
The indoor pool was full of kids doing what kids do, make noise and splash each other.
We were concerned that no lifeguards were watching over the pool area. We saw a few teenagers out of control using the pool who kept running and jumping into the pool without looking out for others. A few times small kids were hit by these kids.
The hot tub was overly hot and was full of foam. It looked terrible, and was always full of teenagers.
The mini golf course was old and beaten up, but one could still play a game.
We didn't use the outdoor pool or the arcade so can't comment on those.
All in all the campground was what we expected.
It was chosen because of the waterpark, not it's overall look.

Room Tip: Arrive early at campground. All sites all on a first come first served basis. Larger rigs may have h...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank deedeeFairfaxVA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I booked a reservation for Labor Day Weekend, as you can see by my post tomorrow starts the weekend. I made my reservation on 7/7/11. We were to arrive originally on 9/2/11 and checkout on 9/5/11. Upon checking my work schedule I realized we could arrive 9/1/11 instead. I called and added the extra day and was told no problem. I was also told sites are picked on a first come basis but Thursday should not be a problem. When we arrived at the campground earlier today they only found my original reservation and insinuated that I lied about adding an extra day. They told us to go pick out a site and return to tell them which site we picked. After riding around the campground 2 times we did not find any open sites. We went back to the office and told them we couldn't find a site and were asked if we looked at the river sites.
The only other roads we found were small roads that we could not even drive our 38ft MH on safely without hitting low lying branches. We returned to the office and one worker asked if another worker would be able to help us find a site. He then ignored us and didn't offer to help. I asked them what sites were still available and they said they have no way of keeping track of that. Although they do keep your driver's license until you come back and tell them what site you picked. I said to the manager why don't you just keep a campground map and when people return cross out the site so you know it is taken. She said even if we did that we wouldn't know if your camper would fit on them, DID THEY EVER THINK OF MEASURING THEM? I don't know, other campgrounds don't seem to have a problem with this. We then demanded our money back, which was returned promptly (of course I haven't seen my credit card statement yet).
One of the workers said well we did just show up early, I again explained to her I called and added a day and she again insinuated I lied. My 9 year old son was devastated after seeing the pictures of the pool complex on the web site. Here it is 10:00 PM the Thursday before Labor Day and there is not a site to be found at any campground. We spent 2 hrs to get there and 2 hrs to return home. What a great way to spend the final holiday before my son has to go back to school. Oh by the way, the sites were not level, small, hilly and as another person stated, trailer parkish, especially with the storage area in the middle of the campground. TRUST ME IT IS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. I even called Encore resorts and told them this campground is going to give them a bad reputation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Disappointed52598

Travelers are raving about these Lancaster hotels

fayetteville
Reviewed August 11, 2011

we we're vacationing with 12 people total....had arrangements in advance tickets bought at area attractions everything planned for a wonderful vacation....before we got to circle m the GPS was tryin to turn us into a corn field...should have taken the hint....after arriving was to have 2 cabins as close as possible because of the kids with us....1 cabin was at the front of the campground the other at the far back of the camp ground.when asked to speak with the manager was told 1 would not be in until monday(the next day)..after finally finding the cabins the first had an odor also was very small....the second one though K 13 smelled as though something was decaying in it....how you would expect anyone to stay in it is beyond my wildest dreams....we had asthmatic people with us was the really bad thing...the 1 that did go into the second cabin had an asthma attack actually... after returning to the main office a manager did appear...the staff was very unconcerned about everything....actually was told that the cabin was just cleaned n also that the odor was because of being in the woods n it had just rained....i live in more woods than what is at the campground actually n i have never had an odor anything like that before.....so there we are using GPS's to try n find some where anywhere to go in the middle of an unknown area to us....not fun.....We did find a wonderful hotel though the Holiday Inn Express..would greatly not recommend this campground to even my worse enemy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank kbergerFayetteville
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Had never been here before. Sites were very uneven, hard to get rv level. Pools extremely overcrowded. No supervision in pool area. Tons of kids running & jumping over our heads into pool. Kids area closed at 8;00, way too early. Outside pool was not even a possibility due to so many people. Very very run down facility. Putt-putt course needs replacing and some care. On the upside, staff was very friendly. If you just want a place to stay, this is fine for that. Campground in the area where we were, was very quiet. We picked this campground for our grandchildren to enjoy the facilities, but this was not possible. Convenient to Dutch country. Very scary exit onto busy and blind road.
Will not visit again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank shergar32495
upland,pa.
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I have been a master member since 1991. i have enjoyed going to outdoor world in the past. As the years have gone by my enjoyment has gotten less and less. They close the pools, store everything earlier than they used to. It seems that all the money they make off of campers they would fix the things that need fixing. miniature gulf has been falling apart for years. the only thing besides the pool that the kids can do, they cant play there(the playground). It is always infested with bees. I have complained for the last 3yrs. about the playground, game room, mini gulf, the cleanliness of the outside pools and trailers. I will be going there soon and i hope someone has attempted to fix these problems.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank eileenUpland_pa_
Charlotte
Reviewed June 26, 2011

It is a shame to see the neglect. Been here several years back and it showed signs of wear. Now totally deteriorated.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank NCPAR
central nj
Reviewed June 14, 2011

It's so sad to see a place that used to bring so much joy and fun in to a family's life disintegrate.

Where they used to have a Kid's club is now closed. Membership camping only, keeping it safe and not over used, now open to the public and abused. Enjoyable pool time, now shoulder to shoulder with the general public (covered by the excuse of members using it for day use.... please, u'r in the middle of nowhere, people aren't going to come for just a portion the day for an over crowded pool).

It doesn't matter that the mini golf is in a covered area, the playing area floods when it rains, broken~unusable games in the arcade, Shorter pool hours, shorter trading post hours, minimal activities where, in the past, you have to bring your kids home just to remember what they looked like. Shorter camping season when they used to be open Year Round. Bathhouses neglected. No longer using a signoff sheet to know when it was last cleaned. That must be nice for the maintenance crew.

It's all just so sad....

Room Tip: look in2 the multitude of other camps in the area.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family