“Excellent B & B”

The Australian Walkabout Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 22 Lancaster B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed for a night and had wonderful serve and a excellent breakfast. The owners are very friendly and easy to speak too. Would recommend this B & B as it is centrally located and the breakfast was super.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the two person tub. The bathroom was huge and had a couch, so it was lik...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned from yet another business/always pleasure too trip to beautiful Lancaster County. Making this trip even more enjoyable was staying yet again at Bob and Lynne's lovely Australian Walkabout B&B...this was our fourth time staying with Bob and Lynne and it remains our favorite place to stay while in the area. Bob and Lynne are always most gracious..helpful..friendly..accommodating,,,,,truly hospitality is their gift. Our room (we've never changed rooms) outfitted in every way...and always with luxurious linens! Lynne's breakfasts are made with love and creativity...delish always! This visit was just as special as our first and with familiarity comes comfortableness..like staying with friends. It's not that hard to be good but to be consistently great?... that's a much harder feat. Come stay with Bob and Lynne and see for yourselves. They will not disappoint.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My wife and I have researched and stayed at a couple of other B&B's in "The Dutch Country" but have ended up finding the Australian Walkabout Inn to be our absolute favorite. It is the warm, welcoming retreat that we so much look forward to visiting year after year. But as lovely as this mid-1920's "mansion" is, with all of its amenities, it is the gracious hosting of Bob and Lynne that makes it such a completely pleasurable experience.

We have stayed in all of the rooms and find them equally comfortable, clean and full of little detail "touches", (candy, cute Australian stuffed animal on the bed, wine glasses, bath robes, refrig., cleaned and made-up room, bed and towels every day, etc.) that make you feel special as a "Guest" in the sincerest sense of the word. Coffee, cookies and a sip of wine were available any time we wanted them on a self-serve basis - at least during the times we stayed there.

Lynne's breakfasts are always personally-prepared and a delicious treat to look forward to each morning. And Bob and Lynne always enjoy chatting with their guests at breakfast or any other time. Yet you have the complete freedom to be as "social" or as private as you choose. The Inn is conveniently located for a "country feel", away from the hustle and bustle of the busier Lancaster areas, yet it is only minutes from an endless list of shops, shopping centers, yummy restaurants, and a variety of popular local attractions.

We can't wait until our "stress-meters" tell us it's time to escape again to the Australian Walkabout inn. Speaking of stress relief, strongly consider having Lynne schedule you for a very-relaxing massage (single or couple in a dedicated room with candles and soft music!) by a local, professional therapist who will come by on a day or evening of your choosing. It's an added, very- reasonable charge but well worth it.

Room Tip: Each room has its unique Victorian/Australian flavor. We have most often stayed in the Adelaide (sp...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Had a last minute weekend away from the kids. It was a wonderful home away from home. Room was comfortable. Had a small sitting room with double jetted tub. Lynne and Bob were gracious hosts. Breakfast was wonderful. Felt like sitting down with old friends. Aside from the nice room, comfortable surroundings and good location it was the small things that help make the stay nice. Soda/Beer/Water/Hot drinks and cookies available all day. Tons of movies/books/magazines and the daily paper. Smoke detectors in each room (yes, we check this...I had a fire in my home and tend to travel with my own detector when going to rental homes/B&B's/friends home). Small fridge in room with bottled water. Plenty of menus from local restaurants. We will come stay again.
It turns out Lynne and Bob lived in my neighborhood in VA before they bought the B&B, and my youngest and her daughter are the same age/grade. Had no idea when we booked it! Small world.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Wonderful place to spend time away. Very relaxing 'home away from home'. McLaren Suite highly recommended, hot tub on porch, wonderful shower.
The mattress was too firm for my taste but suited my husband well. Linens very soft and clean. Host was very nice and helpful, would love to come back.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

What a great place! Bob and Lynne were the most gracious hosts. Room was warm and cozy. Location seems to be just perfect. Will definitly make another trip maybe in warmer weather. Lynne prepared a wonderful breakfast. Our 38th wedding anniversary will be a lasting memory.

Room Tip: stayed in Barossa Suite and my wife[and i] loved the 2 person whrilpool tub.
1  Thank 25susan25
Reviewed January 13, 2013

From the start, Lynne was super helpful in answering my questions and helping me tailor a 3 day mini-vacation that worked for us. We booked the McLaren Vale suite which has a 2 person hot tub on a sun porch--the perfect place to relax at night and read in the morning. She took care to ask if I would be using the hot tub so she could lower the temp to something safe for pregnant women. I really appreciated her asking. Also booked a prenatal massage with Christine which was a wonderful way to start the trip. Breakfast both days were beautifully set and delicious. (It was also nice having hot (Keurig)/cold drinks available at all hours, as well as homemade cookies. It really felt like home!
The location seemed to be a central point to many of the places we visited (markets, restaurants, outlets, etc). Our 3 day, 2 night stay ended too soon but felt restful enough that when I got home I felt like I had been away for a week! I was glad I got a souvenir mug to remind me of our stay and a jar of Lynne's award-winning apple butter to take home with me.
Close enough from NYC (about 3 hours); we look forward to going again.
Thank you for helping us celebrate our 5th Anniversary and for helping us make some great memories before baby in March.

Room Tip: I chose the McLaren Vale suite for the sun porch and it was so nice to have that extra sun-lit space...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
JuneBJones, Owner at The Australian Walkabout Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Thank you, Ellen, for taking the time to review your stay with us. We really enjoy being able to provide a special place for couples to celebrate this special time in their lives. We hope you'll return when it's time for another getaway and all best wishes to you and your growing family.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster Arts Hotel
Cork Factory Hotel
#16 of 40 in Lancaster
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, York, PA
Lovelace Manor Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Australian Walkabout Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!