“My second stay at the HI Express”

Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed January 1, 2008

I have been going to Lancaster for years. Last year, after our other hotel changed hands and names, we decided to make a change. This being our second year staying at the Holiday Inn Express, we knew what to expect. The rooms are a good size, with great amenities including coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, TV, and such. Everything is brand new- since the hotel had a major facelift when they changed hands last year (2006). The rooms and bathroom are immaculate. The staff is wonderful and courteous. The breakfast is very expansive. On our days, they even had eggs, bacon, sausage, and biscuits. Best of all, it's free! The hotel is very large, and sits right on the Rockvale Square Outlets. No need for a car to shop! There is also a Rockvale trolley stop right at the hotel, in case you don't wish to drive or walk, because these outlets are really spread out (acres and acres worth). It is set in from the main highway (30 East), so there is no road or truck noise, which all of the other hotels have. It is also a great central location; close to everything.

Overall, this hotel is amazing. I wouldn't stay anywhere else while in Lancaster. The staff is impeccable, as well as the rooms and amenities. I recommend it 100%!

Stayed: December 2007
7  Thank BlueRS

Reviewed September 2, 2007

This is our 3rd trip to this hotel. It's pleasant and clean. Only complainant was that it was a little over priced.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mdtraveller_7
Reviewed July 27, 2007

Pros: Shopaholics walk directly to Rockvale Outlets; handy walkable restaurants including Bob Evans (good), Cracker Barrel (southern fried), and some other nondescript American franchise. We got a poolside room, which was absolutely great for our swimaholic daughter. It was a nice pool with decent seating around the sides; nothing luxurious, but comfortable enough chaise lounges and tables. It was open until midnight.
The room, double queen, was very comfortable. The beds were quite nice. We only noticed smoking smells in the front entryway, where employees were sitting on the outside bench smoking!
Decent "deluxe" continental breakfast (yogurt, bagels, fruit in addition to doughnuts and cereal).
Cons: Long (at least 30-minute) wait in line to check in. We had a hard time working the keys, but managed. What else? Nothing really, we were quite happy there.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Ann13820
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We trust the Holiday Inn Express name, so had no hesitations in booking this hotel. We stayed here for $93/night! The room was average sized, and we enjoyed a very comfortable stay. Some posters mentioned smells and garbage in the hallways. We did not notice anything. The hotel was clean and well-kept. The breakfast (as expected) was terrific! We enjoyed the outdoor pool, although it did seem that the filter was not functioning properly - many dead bugs were floating in the water. Overall, we had a great stay...especially for the price!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawnmp
Reviewed May 31, 2007

We made a last minute decision to stay in Lancaster. I called Holiday to use 15,000 points for a free room; so at least no dollars were wasted directly on my brief stay.

Check in with the freebie points was problem free. We were instructed to enter through a side door entrance. That was a downer with garbage bags and other junk in that entrance area.

We entered the room which had this strange smoke/dank/hamper like smell. It was also dark and depressing. The room just had a dirty feel to it. So there I am with my wife and three kids. What to do? We left. I went back to the desk and returned my room keys and said we're checking out. The guy behind the desk and I both chuckled (I guess this has happened before at this place). LOL. I then left and went to the excellent Courtyard Marriott. It was a funny experience in a strange sort of way... the place was just that bad... that I found it to be laughable and unreal.

I have a Motorola Q phone and I checked the reviews on this site beforehand in my car and only the poor guy from Austrialia got it right... This HI Express in Lancaster is the Hotel From Hell. This makes the terrible Willow Valley Resort seem classy.

Some HI Expresses are great, but this one in Lancaster STINKS, both literally and figuratively. This is not a place to bring your family and is on par with an operation that should be posting hourly rates, if you know what I mean. Just awful and low brow. Even the lobby had an odd background fecal like smell. YUCK.

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank NYtrav
Reviewed March 3, 2007

This hotel is in an excellent location within the Rockvale Outlets complex on Rt.30. I was in town for a concert at the American Music Theatre which was right across the street. We had a first floor room facing the pool, and the room was very nice. It had a microwave and fridge which we didn't need, but was a nice touch. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The cinnamon rolls at the continental breakfast were delicious! They had made to order waffles along with the usual breakfast items. I'm not a big breakfast eater so this was fine for me. They had a very nice lobby and the breakfast area was right off of it. I thought the bed was very comfortable too!

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank Amcdon
Reviewed February 15, 2007

My wife and booked this hotel with our gold proity club membership and paid in full before we left in australia. we arrived at the hotel in the late evening and was given no help at all at reception. finding our room took effort and vwhen we entered the smell of smoke and stale beer vomit was unbeliavible. my wife rang reception and asked could we have another room as the smoke was unbearable we were told no that was it and the room was fine she asked him to come down to the room and see for him self he refused my wife went in to the bathroom it was so unclean that we picked our bags up and left i have written to holiday inn but they have not bothered to reply. it was diffcult to find another room at 12 md the staff at an alnight dinner helped us. it really was an unbearable experience. we lost the full amount that we paid for the room

Stayed: September 2006