1,192 results
All reviews road noise small kitchenette room was clean waffles kitchen area hot items queen bed stay there again hot breakfast coffee maker free breakfast front desk staff first floor convenient location cookies great place to stay very nice hotel
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The hotel is very clean and smells good too. My room was very pleasent and smelled good too. I haven't tasted their breakfast, but will let you know tomorrow.

Not bad for the price.

Room Tip: The best thing is that the hotel is by Wal-mart and the highway 30, easy to get to everything.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wandy5456
Reviewed June 25, 2012

While staying at Hawthorn, I had to keep reminding myself that it was a two-star hotel. There were certain "extra" touches that made it feel like a solid three-star chain hotel, so when something was a bit rundown or disappointing, I had to remember that it was actually a "great 2-star hotel" and not a "disappointing 3-star hotel."

THE GOOD: Friendly desk staff, free breakfast, modern furnishings, the standard bright-white Wyndham comforter and super-soft pillows (no yucky fuzzy blanket, woohoo!). Clean. Sofa bed was fine for our two toddlers.

THE BAD: Awkward location wedged between Route 30 and an overpass. The breakfast was pretty ample but it was mostly "non-food." Aside from a banana, I couldn't find anything that wasn't sugar-laden or manufactured. Not that I was expecting a gourmet breakfast or anything, but it was a mutant-looking "egg patty," limp bacon, Fruit Loops, Frosted Flakes, muffins, strawberry yogurt, a waffle maker, and juice. My kids loved the waffles but I have to watch my sugar and was a little scared of the "egg," so I wound up waiting until we got on the road to grab something to eat. Other than that -- the bathrooms were a bit outdated, but still nice and clean for a 2-star.

In a review last year, I described another hotel as doing a "four-star job of being a two-star hotel." In retrospect, I would choose the Hawthorn over that other chain any day of the week. Definitely a great value ($109 on a peak summer weekend).

Room Tip: Not sure there's a bad room -- we were the first room after the ice machine, but the laundry room is in between so we didn't hear any noise. Good planning on their part.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank karameli
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The property is located inside a triangle with roads on all three sides. Two road are very busy highways. The place has almost no character or color on the outside. The interior is nice. The first thing we noticed was the very large breakfast room. They need it because the hotel is very large.
Breakfast was one of the best we have had anywhere. We loved the room because of the layout the air conditioner does not blow across the beds like they do on almost every hotel we stay in. The bed was very comfortable. It was a little dated but we would stay there again one because of the room layout and the reasonable price compared to other similar hotels in the area. Because of the busy highway there are four pane of glass on the windows. They have the original two pane insulated glass and then another double pane outside of that. The front desk people we quite nice. Be careful leaving the property because it is difficult to see traffic coming from the left.

Room Tip: It can be a little difficult to find.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry-retired
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed for one night after a day at Dutch Wonderland a mile or so up the road. We had stayed in other suite hotels on this trip--TownePlace Suites and Homewood Suites--and this property suffers by comparison, despite it being a decent value for the $98 we paid.
First off, I'll echo the comments about road noise. You can hear the 18-wheelers down shifting and braking as Lincoln Highway and Route 30 split, due to the odd location of this place. Not a deal breaker, but annoying. There should be better-insulated windows.
Overall, our room was in need of updating. It was adequate for what it was, two beds, a chair and ottoman and small desk, along with a small fridge. But it was indifferently decorated. Some of the furniture was chipped and worn, and the TV was old, with a fairly skimpy selection of channels.
The lowlight of the stay was a drunken man in the room next door who was going on a rampage through the halls at 3 in the morning, with his companion trying to calm him down. The cops were called, but they left empty-handed after determining he was merely obnoxious and not a criminal. When I inquired about this the next day at the desk and asked why he wasn't booted from the hotel, I was told "We like to give our guests a second chance," as if this was somewhat routine there. I was given a curt "Sorry" and no further effort to make amends for my inconvenience--it took an hour-and-a-half to get back to sleep on a day when I had to drive nearly 200 miles.
The included breakfast was pretty basic--the standard issue egg discs and sausage patties were the hot items (you could also make waffles).
Suffice to say, there are many options in the Lancaster area, and there are undoubtedly better ones than this property. They could have done better. They chose not to.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank murrayhill
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed for memorial day weekend 2012. upon arriving I noticed stained windows and siding and i thought to myself this was going to be a disaster... the price we paid for the room was average $90.00 a night. Rooms were VERY clean and the beds very comfortable. They had free continental breakfast which was ok... I was very impressed with the staff, very friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family