“Enjoyed our stay! Would recommend this hotel!”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lancaster
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Patchogue, New York
“Enjoyed our stay! Would recommend this hotel!”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I was traveling with my daughter, son-in-law and college age grandaughter. We did not have any problem with noise from the highways as mentioned in prev;ious review. In fact- we barely heard the traffice. The rooms are large and kept very clean. Breakfast Buffet was enjoyable. Staff friendly and helpful. We would stay again and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Lanal60803

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Salisbury, Maryland
Reviewed March 7, 2011

This hotel is nice, but a little too pricey for my taste. I had family with me so I did not go as cheap as I usually would have. We were in room 102 and I know that other reviewers made comments about traffic noise...where we were it was not too bad, but you do here it from time to time. Room was clean and good size. We brought a dog and had plenty of room. The hotel staff will not clean your room with a dog in the room, but we were only there two days so that was no big deal to us. Continental breakfast was quite nice with more variety than what I am usually accustomed to (hot eggs and bacon, waffles, bagles, cerial, yogurt, etc.). There is a large dining area which appears never to get crowded. Small kitchenette in room was nice and convenient. Location is good and near the outlets and dutch wonderland. There is really nothing negative I can say about this hotel...

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Cathy R
East Norwich, New York
Reviewed November 22, 2010

My daughter and I just returned from Lancaster...We stayed at the Hawthorne...It was very clean, good breakfast, comfortable beds, nice little kitchenette, but most of all Sara at the front desk was very pleasent and most helpful...It was a pleasure staying there...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jabn59
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I think when I looked at Trip Advisor about this hotel, I just looked at the overall rating (4 of 5) and didn't actually read the reviews--bad idea. The hotel seems newly redone. The rooms are really very comfortable. The bed was very comfy, the room was a great size for my husband and I--we had a bed, a chair with an ottoman, and a couch, not to mention the sitting area with mirror and the in-room fridge and microwave. The curtains are thick enough to not let any light in, which is nice. The problem with the hotel is the noise. It was really unbearable. If I hadn't gotten such a good rate to stay for three nights, we would have switched hotels. As other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is located on a small spit of land between the on ramp for Hwy 30 and Hwy 30--a very busy road that is used ALL NIGHT LONG. We were on the side of the hotel of the on ramp, and constantly heard brakes. We were on the second floor, which put us level with the road. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as bad had we been on a lower floor, but the 2nd floor was really bad. We were there on a Wed and Thurs night with no issues with in-hotel noise. However on Friday night, when the hotel was much busier, we could hear the conversations taking place in rooms all around us--both next door and above us, and the people were using normal voices, not yelling at all. We tried to drown out the sounds with the fan/AC unit, but the fan only option was pretty quiet and didn't help at all, and the AC would turn off and not actually cool down the room. Thank goodness we were there in November and not in the summer when we really needed the the AC. Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone who is not a very heavy sleeper. If night-time noises don't bother you, stay here. Except for the noise, the hotel is great and a great price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CaMaLiPi
Virginia
Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed 2 nights while taking the kids to Dutch Wonderland. Very hard to get in and out of hotel due to the location if traffic is heavy. Our room was clean and so were the bathrooms. We had a lower floor location due to having our 2 dogs with us which worked out great as they have a nice area to walk pets outside. They do offer a free breakfast which we didn't get either morning since it was so crowded. My only problem was the extreme noise above us that went on until 1AM. Stomping and screaming and doors slamming for literally hours. There appears to be almost no soundproofing between the floors at all. When I was checking out I could even hear people clomping around above the front desk! The highway noise didn't bother us at all.... it was the crazy loud people above us that ruined our stay.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank plm2010
philadelphia
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We spent three days at the Hawthorn Suites and we had a nice time. The place was very clean and the staff very helpful and accomadating. If you are traveling with a dog they have a dog run area out back which made it very easy to take our dog out. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and good. I also found the hotel quiet and not rally noticed any outside noise. We will be returning to Lancaster in December and will stay again at the Hawthorn Suites.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank babar44
VirginiaUSA
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Arrived at night and was a tad confused that I had an issue locating the hotel with GPS; finally found it right next to the highway. Have stayed all over the world so I did not let the location intimidate me. Facility was relatively clean and up-to-date and staff that checked me in was fine. Was assigned room 201 and had issues as soon as we arrived. Room was supposed to have 2 Dbls and a pull out; no pull out but I was traveling with 2 kids so I let it go. Tried to sleep but HIGHWAY TRAFFIC IS U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E !!! Come to find out, they are wedged between TWO highways on a long, thin strip of land just big enough for the building and some cars! (Think of a piece of pie with highways running along the long end; room 201 is in the tip of the piece of pie!!!). Was not looking for anything fancy but none of us could sleep a wink. We drew the drapes, put on the TV and blew the AC to try to drown out the noise; no luck! At 3am we were still awake and parched from running fan non-stop. Complained but was told there was nothing they could do and that the other side of the hotel was just as bad because the truckers put on their air brakes and all you hear on the other side of the building is loud squeeling. Just about gave up trying to sleep after a heavy truck rolled over a joint in the highway AND OUR BEDS SHOOK!! My 6 & 9 year olds sat straight up in bed. We finally dozed off around 5:15am and when the other guests started leaving their rooms, every time a different room door would shut, the door to our room would push inward! Both of my kids got in my bed because they thought someone was trying to enter our room. (If they had built the facility with tightly latching doors, this would not be a problem!).
Now, we weren't looking for anything fancy...just a quick get-away to visit the Amish Country and enjoy the beautiful fall weather. But this was completely outrageous!
The guy at the front desk at 3am basically said he was sorry I was such a light sleeper. And the lady at Customer Care (or something like that) at Wyndham Corporate basically said too-bad-so-sad but we don't control sites like these...they are franchised. When I explained that it has their name on the sign, she said "well, they seek out US.....we don't seek out THEM !!!" I flatly told her that it reflected on their reputation.
Needless to say, with so many options out there, we left first thing in the morning for a different place to lay our heads. And I would be hard pressed to EVER book at any Wyndham facility ever again.
I felt like I was robbed! We had spent the time & gas to drive...and with basically no sleep, it made it very difficult to relax and enjoy the calm atmosphere we made the trip for!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family