“One of the best meals that we've had in Lancaster!”
Review of Maison

Maison
Reserve with OpenTable
Maison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 587 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Walnut and Chestnut
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband took me to Maison last evening for dinner to celebrate my birthday. The food and service were just great! We brought along a few beers since the restaurant is BYOB. The atmosphere is quaint and laid back. The food is fresh and local. The menu changes on a day-to-day basis. We started out with a handmade buratta that was served with a green tomato jam, tomatoes and crostini. We were also served homemade bread. My husband had a braised lamb pasta which had spring beans, mint and parmigiana. I had the flank steak served with polenta, squash, zucchini and tomatoes. The steak just melted in our mouths. The service was a little slow to start but they were definitely personable and took the time to explain the restaurant and menu selections. We were too full for dessert but the selections sounded delicious. We enjoyed our dinner out without our kids immensely and hope to return again soon. (This would not be a good place to go with young children!)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

The truth is the restaurant does not deserve a star. We were treated very poorly by a female staff member did not introduce herself, check on us, or even offer the dessert menu. She did not thank us for our stay or even give us a check we had to flag somebody else down. This is a horribly overcrowded very poorly decorated restaurant. You are sitting elbow to elbow with your dining neighbors. The noise level is so deafening that you can't hear your dinner date. Now onto the worst part of this place. I can forgive the noisy pretentious place if it had good cuisine. I'm normally a fan of the farm to table movement in restaurants. But that goes out the window when a chef is very much unskilled in executing food. A restaurant like this will stay in business in Lancaster Pa because there is a shortage of overpriced fine dining in town. And people unaware of what to expect from a gourmet restaurant will simply try this place at least once. Our first course was a horribly overdressed French country salad. Normally I am a fan of this sort of frisée salad with bacon and blue cheese but it was so soaked in an overly acidic salad dressing that it was barely edible. Which is a shame. We also had the artichoke salad. Artichokes are one of my favorite veggies this time of yr. but this salad was dripping in lemon juice which made it impossible to taste the ingredients in the salad( a common theme throughout our meal). Our entrees consisted of Pesto pasta. I thought that would be a difficult dish to mess up since it contains limited ingredients. Wrong again it was so dripping in pesto. The other entree was a slow cooked piece of veal with a " salad". The salad consisted of bitter mustard greens( uncooked), sugar snap peas, and asparagus. Normally I'm a fan of all three items. But when you leave greens uncooked they have a horribly bitter aftertaste. Which over powers the delicate sugar snap peas and asparagus. Since we were neglected during our meal and never offered the dessert menu we skipped dessert. And went to a diner for dessert.

3  Thank mblock9876
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I were told by a fellow traveler in Lititz Pa. that we had to try Maison in Lancaster. We were able to reserve a 6:30 table on a Saturday night...lucky us. From the moment we were greeted by the lovely owner we were impressed and pleased. The servers took time to explain the restaurant's concept of fresh locally grown products and then slowly went over the menu. The place was packed with a nice buzz and the servers were never rushed but very efficient. The highlights of the meal for us were the delicate pork pate, the simply sauteed Japanese peppers brushed with coriander, nuts and cumin and the braised veal breast. Not fussy, just fresh with a delicate touch. My squid and beans were not subtle at all and I loved it.
BYOB is appreciated. Just an all around impressive dining experience. Thank you!!
We also loved the open kitchen.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

After reading mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, I decided to come try it for myself. I was happy that I did. I thought the waitstaff was friendly--and yes, they do go through a detailed discussion about being farm to table and local sourcing...but our table found it interesting not annoying. The food was really nice and while it was a bit loud, it's only because it is an intimate setting and even a normal conversation carries. Overall it was a really good evening, great food and fun with friends!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I loved that so much of their menu is made with local ingredients. The service we had was wonderful. The staff are friendly and knowledgable. Great portion size ( not too big but filling). The food was relish. My husband had rabbit, I had bass. We both enjoyed our dinner. The dining room gets a bit loud but it didn't affect our experience.