“Don't Believe The Hype! Bed Bugs or Carpet beetles?”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
New York City, New York
“Don't Believe The Hype! Bed Bugs or Carpet beetles?”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I went to lancaster to see Jewel's concert which I enjoyed very much. We checked in the hotel on Wednesday March 13, 2013 and checked out Saturday March 16, 2013. Even though the room looked clean,I wiped all surfaces and draws with Clorox wipes. We checked the edges of the mattress for signs of a bed bugs infestation. We didn't see any sign of an infestation. On Thursday morning we had room service which wasn't to good. I'm the type of person that is afraid to send food back because of the fear of someone spitting on it. So we just ate what was mediocre and threw the rest away. On Sunday morning my husband went to take a shower and saw a bug on the towels that we used the night before. He caught the bug with a glass. He called me over. He was very upset because it was a bed bug. Naturally I was very upset and disgusted. I googled bed bugs just to be sure and at the same time hoping we were wrong. Sadly we were right. We took showers and got dressed before we called for the manager. She came upstairs and put the bug on her hand and tried to convince us it was a carpet beetle. We continuely told her it was a bed bug. She said since it was a bug that she would call Expedia to refund us for one night or she would give us a voucher for a one night stay.
My husband said ok to the voucher. She left to meet us in the lobby. I then I asked my husband if he was insane because i wasn't ever going to stay there again. So we met her in the lobby and I informed her again, telling her to look at the picture on my iPhone, because the bug in our room was a bed bug! She then said it was a bed bug. She apologogized and said that we could throw our clothes in the hotel dryer for half an hour (in case I was taking any souvenirs home ) or that she would gives us a roll of quarters to wash them outside. She also stated that she would call Expedia so we could get refunded one night. I told her that one night would not cover the trauma I was going through. We requested garbage bags to put our belongings. I drove all the way home feeling sick to my stomache visualizing these bed bugs reproducing inside those garbage bags. Thinking that they were on my body or shoes. Thinking they were in my car. Etc. the manager called Monday morning (March 18,) she told me that they had the room searched and exterminated. She stated that the only bed bug found was the one my husband caught. I believe this statement the same way I believed her when she tried to convince me it was a carpet beatle. today is April the 17, and we have not received a refund.
As for my belongings I left them in the garbage bag with the sun hitting it untill April 14. I then took it to my yard and checked every piece of article. I threw things away, ( books, toiletries etc), i didn't find any bed bugs. I then separated the laundry into seven different garbage bags and put it on my deck. Yes, I'm still afraid.
For your information:I was told by an employee of the hotel, that they had an infestation September of 2012. I will not disclose who told me because i dont want the person to get fired for sharing too much information. My incident happen 6 months later. Had I known of the September incident I would not have stayed there. I think that this information should be provided to the public. So all I can say is stay at your own risk! Good bye, going to seek mental health because "I'M STILL TRAUMATIZED!!! :-0

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Iluvmyjackrussell
Kristin O, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We apologize for the very unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. Our guests’ health and safety is very important to us and is always a focal point of our property operations.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention during your stay, and I would be happy to speak with you, or any potential guest, about this serious topic. We have investigated and have taken all necessary action to eliminate all potential concerns or problems. Our team members have been trained, and are continually educated on the topic of bed bugs. They know how to look for them, and what to do should a concern arise.
We have contacted Expedia regarding the refund of your room charge, and will continue to contact them to assist in securing your refund. You spoke with Dory Hoffman-Kumar regarding this, please contact her directly if you do not receive word regarding this at 717-464-2711.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Overall it was a good stay. Upon arriving staff was very friendly and courteous. When we got to our room and started unpacking I noticed a toe nail clipping on the floor, eeeek, housekeeping could have done a better job vacuuming. We headed straight to the pool and water playground with the kids after unpacking, the water in the kids pool could have been warmer, the main pool was a little better for them in temperature, but they warmed up with the jacuzzi anyway. Nice pool, small cute water playground for kids. Back at the room I did notice that when we started taking showers the water had a very strong chlorine smell to it which was odd. We also looked into room service since the kids were tired after a long day at the pool but the prices were outrageous, and the reviews of the restaurant online turned us away from ordering anyway, I'd rather save the $25 for pasta that might not be that good. There were plenty of restaurant options which were all about a 15 min drive, and also lots of outlets for shopping! Oh one last thing, their wedding venue is the open courtyard in the middle of the hotel so if there is a wedding be prepared for loud music, though they did have the dj done shortly after 10pm. I would say it was a good stay, only downfall is I wish I would have asked about their policy using debit cards because my hotel stay turned from $150 to $270 due to a transaction hold, hopefully that goes thru soon. Customer service wasn't very helpful in explaining either after some research online I found out on my own. That 800 number is hard to deal with, very thick accents and not very knowledgable. Anyway, sorry for rambling but good hotel, great staff, would stay again!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I’m glad that you plan to visit us again, and that your family enjoyed our hotel! I will pass along your comments regarding the carpet to our housekeeping team. They are a great team that works hard to keep guest rooms spotless, and I’m sure this will be reviewed and acted upon immediately.
We look forward to hosting you and your family again in the near future!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed here for just one night although my kids would have liked to have stayed longer. We were able to check in early which was a pleasant surprise. Warm cookies at check in was a nice touch. The hotel was clean and all the staff we spoke to were friendly and helpful.
Our room was an accessible one which worked out well. Beds were comfy.
We used the pool and the kids had fun. I have to say that the pictures are a bit deceiving but don't let that keep you away. I expected more of a water park atmosphere but it wasn't really too fancy. Pool was clean, plenty of tables and chairs and towels. Kids had fun in both pools. If you need accessible access, this pool had a chair lift into the pool. It was very helpful for us. There was also one for the hot tub but we didn't use that
We wanted to do the local thing so we ate at nearby restaurants. I cannot describe the hotel restaurant but the bar looked nice. We would certainly stay here again if we find ourselves back in the Lancaster area.

1 Thank Jackris8595
Kristin O, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. We look forward to serving you again, and if there is anything I can help you with in the meantime, please let me know: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
latrobe
Reviewed April 11, 2013

For a "Resort" a lot is left out. Too many issues with elevators being out of service, being fixed and then going out again. The 2400 restaurant was very expensive for the very limited selecton. The staff, all the way around were superior. Their service made up for the shortcomings of the "resort". Whether servers or housekeeping, maintenance or front des,k a customer could not ask for better. It is very near many of the Amish Country attractions and just south of Lancaster which mkes it very convenient. There is a very nice golf course and a chapel. There used to be te original Willow Valley Motel next door with its' big smorgasbord, bakery, small restaurant, coffee bar and gift shop were folks could walk over to have a good tasting, economically priced meal. Thats all gone under the bulldozer now. There is no economically priced anything in easy walking distance. I've been to Willow Valley befoe. Now that Hilton has taken it over it's not as "good a value" as it used to be. I guess it's the corporate mentality. The staff really makes this place because the value isn't there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank armedinfidel
Kristin O, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for being a return customer. We truly value your years of loyalty and look forward to the future. Our elevators were out of service over the Easter holiday because a guest accidentally dropped their keys in the elevator shaft! It took quite some to be retrieve them, but obviously, for everyone's safety, we did have to put them out of order. Willow Valley Associates and the Thomas family still own and operate the DoubleTree Lancaster and there are often many packages and discounts available when booking online. I would be happy to speak with you about these opportunities and anything else regarding your stay. I can be reached at: (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com Looking forward to speaking with you, Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations;
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Enjoyed our stay. They have a little water park area for the kids that is very small but much more fun that a pool. Our kids had a blast and check out time isn't until noon. That was really nice. There is a ton of stuff to do in the area and we were able to keep plenty busy until our check in time. The hotel even let us check in about 45 minutes early.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us and hope you are able to stay again soon. Thank you! Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I had stayed at this hotel last year for a women's retreat and because of busy schedule never got to fully explore all of the great offers it had so my husband and I decided to take are 3 children ages 16, 10, & 8 for a overnight stay so they could experience the wonderful water playground and so my husband could see how beautiful the resort was. Let me just say all of my family was impressed starting with the warm delicious cookie and then the great staff all over. I had mentioned in passing to one of the maids we were finishing upbthe birthday celebration of my 8yr old son and min. after goin into are room we got a suprising knock on the door from the staff member bringing ballons and a pack of m&m's which I thought was so thoughtful. Then the lifeguard was extremely nice and helpful, she made me and my husband feel extremely safe. All in all the customer service went above and beyond and everyone had a splendid time and my husband is already planning are next trip back without the kids so we can play golf.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We also cannot wait for your next trip and to hear how your husband does on the golf course. Happy belated birthday to your son! Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I decided to book our Lancaster trip with this hotel because the kids pool looked great in pictures and the room images were pretty and the views posed o the website were pretty.i forgot to review the restaurant reviews before booking. First of all I spoke with someone explaining that we were traveling with 3 adults and a small child and our need for a suite we arrived and got a hotel room divided in half by a door yes we had separate bedrooms but only one bath,one chair nd one desk no place for us to sit and watch tv or get a snack or a bite to eat for $ 213 a night,our view was the parking lot,I never even saw the lobby after reading the poor reviews for the restaurant connected we went elsewhere and had great food. The only nice thing about our room was when my son peed in our bed bc we had no alternatives at 6 am the manager did rush us 2 flat sheets and a blanket, the pool hosted birthday parties from local families and it became crowded and too noisy they had young lifeguards who were doing a good job but the kids were eating cupcakes in the pool area and spitting their food in the pool.a sign read as you entered no shoes allowed in pool area some of the adults were wearing dirty shoes through the pool area disrespecting rules but no security guards to back up the lifeguards I would of looked the other way too,before starting up with a group of adults.but oh we'll didn't go on a mini vacation to complain had fun anyway just won't go back to this hotel .if you are traveling with family beware the suites here are micro suites.

Room Tip: Didn't include any food in our $ 426 stay we even traveled for our coffee.travel tip got Lancast...