“A very nice resort”

Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“A very nice resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed there for a night during our weekend trip to Lancaster. We were welcomed with nice hot cookies and check in was smooth. Very clean room, all the amenities that one can expect at world class resort. We didn’t get a chance to enjoy pool and the onsite restaurant, but they looked very nice, too. Our was king bed with whirlpool bath. It was big room with sofa and other furniture and a flat screen LCD.
Close to the shopping mall and outlets, sight-n-sound Theater, dutch wonderland and other local attractions. McDonald, Taco Bell and CVS were like in “walking” distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rutansh
WillowValley, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us last month. I hope during your next visit to Lancaster you'll be able to spend more time at our resort and enjoy the pools and restaurant. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
NJ, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was a bit wary about this place because I was staying alone, and the majority of good reviews were from families with children, but I was actually very pleasantly surprised. The hotel's in the middle of nowhere, so if you're looking to be able to walk to the Lancaster city center, you're at a bit of a loss (that said, I went to college in Lancaster and came here this weekend to visit friends in New Holland, so I'm not terribly fussed about being far away from things), but this is actually an asset, as the hotel is about as nice as the Best Western Eden Resorts and almost as nice as the Marriott across from Central Market for about half the price.

I came here around Christmas time, and the hotel was decorated from the outside with Christmas lights, but very tastefully and elegantly--not at all cheesy (I am very picky when it comes to Christmas decorations, so this is saying something). The concierge was very bright and friendly when I checked in at 7:30pm on a Saturday night. She gave me my warm chocolate and walnut cookie (which was delicious) and told me how to get to my room, which was on the fifth floor (Pro-tip: if you're looking for quiet, the fifth floor is the way to go. I barely heard a peep from outside the whole time I was here, whereas the hustle and bustle on the second floor would have woken anyone in any of those rooms up). I had gotten one of the jacuzzi rooms for all of $107 plus tax, and while the jacuzzi was on the small side, the room was huge and clean, with a couch, a clean and comfortable king sized bed, a decent sized mini fridge, a coffee maker and clock radio where I could plug in my iPod. Plus, the thermostat was adjustable, which was a nice touch, and the bath towels were the largest I've ever seen in a hotel room. The room overlooked the terrace, which may have been a liability on an event weekend but was beautiful to look at on this party-free night.

The water playground was closed for maintenance (which didn't bother me, as I'm too old to use it and was warned both by the website and by phone long in advance), but the pool was open and huge for an indoor hotel pool, with lap lanes about the same length as the ones at my local New York Sports Club. The pool was maybe a little over-chlorinated, but it was heated, and I needed less than 30 seconds to get used to the water temperature. Also, there are plenty of lounge chairs around the exterior for people who don't feel like swimming. The fitness center and video arcade overlook the pool, and while the arcade was nothing to write home about, the fitness center looked very good for a hotel gym, with plenty of modern-looking machines, free weights, and exercise balls. Compared to the single treadmill and rack of free weights you'd get at most hotel gyms, this one was gigantic.

For the most part, the staff was very good. I was having some trouble with my jacuzzi, and the front desk staff immediately offered me late checkout while they sent maintenance up to look at it. The maintenance man arrived within two minutes of me getting back upstairs, and helped me immediately (it was a stupid mistake on my part--I had turned on the on button but neglected to set the wall timer) and was very sweet and friendly about it.

The only--I swear, only--reason I've given this place 4 stars instead of 5 is the breakfast. Breakfast itself, while not included, is not terribly expensive, and the food is fine if not terribly elaborate--highlights are the made-to-order omelets, decent bacon, delicious croissants, and tiny cups of yogurt parfait that were absolutely delightful--but the service was terrible. I came in feeling really thirsty, and it took a really long time for my waitress to acknowledge me, and there were waiters and waitresses looking right at me without bothering to ask if I needed anything. Once I finally got my water, it was a chore to get refills (though one other waiter did take pity on me and get me one while my waitress blatantly ignored me), though they put the check on my table almost immediately, leaving other people in the restaurant to believe I'd left anytime I went back into the buffet area.

However, this was an anomaly, and it's possible it was just this one waitress. Again, other than breakfast, this hotel was great, and if your priority isn't being close to the city center, definitely worth paying the lower cost to stay here instead of one of the higher profile, more expensive yet not necessarily nicer hotels in the Lancaster city area.

Room Tip: Stay on the fifth floor if possible--much quieter. Also, shell out the extra $10 for a jacuzzi room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank RunnerOnIce
Thank you for staying with us RunnerOnlce, and sharing your wonderful review. I'm sorry to read the service in our Cafe 24 Hundred was so slow. I will certainly pass your review along to our restaurant manager. I hope you will stay with us again when you visit friends in New Holland, or anywhere in our beautiful city. If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed here at the beginning of December and they did an amazing job of making the place feel like Christmas. The property is massive and it felt a little abandoned during my stay but the staff was gracious and made me feel warm and welcome. The suite I was booked in had a comfortable bed and a nicely appointed living room, pretty standard as hotel rooms go. The restaurant on site has decent food and the staff is great. They have a good mix of locals and guests which keeps the conversation lively.

The pool/water park make this a great spot to stay with children. They had a list of activities posted in the lobby and were offering a couple of craft classes for little ones. There is not a lot to do in the immediate area but the center of Lancaster is just a short ride down the road. I always enjoy coming to Lancaster because it gives you a cozy, country feeling while still providing the conveniences of an urban area. This hotel is a great embodiment of that spirit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SalsaPicante78
We are so happy you could spend time with us during the Christmas season. Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm happy to read you enjoyed your visit. If there is anything I may assist you with, please let me know: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

This was our first time staying at the property since the Hotel became a Hilton Franchise. We have many fond memories as kids at this property.

We had booked two rooms, one family room and one standard room with two queen beds. The hotel was very accommodating and put the rooms next to each other without having to ask. The warm cookie upon checking in was a nice touch.

The hotel has a very crisp modern feel. Everything is newly renovated, and EXTREMELY CLEAN. The staff is still just as friendly as they always have been at Willow Valley. I am very fond of the corporate look and feel, but I must say that I saw mostly families with children staying there. Some of them were still regulars like us, who had been going to Willow Valley for many years. Don't let the franchise name fool you. The place is still great, if not better, and the grounds are still pleasing to the eyes. The pool was also cleaner than ever, as well as the jacuzzi. Cafe 24 Hundred, the hotel's restaurant, has food of high quality. They had many vegetarian options at the buffet, which I liked. My friends and family found the roast beef a little dry one night, but that was only one dish out of many that were excellent. We also ordered from the menu. They do serve alcohol, but the crowd on both nights was great and well-behaved, and it is more than safe to have children around the lobby at night when the bar is open.

It was sad not to have the Willow Valley restaurant or bakery nearby. Cafe 24 hundred is great, and has a great breakfast buffet and dinner buffet (not many people attended for dinner, and they SHOULD. GREAT VALUE and GOOD QUALITY), but on a much smaller scale than the older restaurant (who doesn't love Willow Valley's pies and cakes for dessert?). The heat pump in our room went on and off with a loud sound. We also really missed being able to crack a window after taking showers as the steam makes the room humid, and bathroom exhaust fans only somewhat help the problem. We asked why the window cranks were removed, and we were told it is a safety issue. I can see why that is, yet it still used to be nice to get a surge of fresh air into the room.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay. It would be great if the hotel included a dinner option as part of the stay with an added fee. It would be nice to see more people in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the outside are quieter before 10 if you go to bed early as sometimes there are events...
1 Thank Paul G
WillowValley, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you Paul! It's great to read reviews from long time Willow Valley guests that are continuing to stay with us at our Willow Valley Associates owned DoubleTree. We appreciate your suggestions and are actually working on some options to potentially include dinner in our restaurant or at a local smorgasbord for 2013. We truly appreciate your review and very much look forward to serving you again. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, (717) 464-7503
Fredericksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed at this property primarily because of the waterpark for our kids to use. The pool and waterpark were closed at times we would normally have expected them to be open, which was somewhat disappointing. In hindsight, we should have called ahead to confirm the hours of their availability. The hotel itself is very upscale for this area. Room quality was very nice, although not configured as we expected. The room description on line was listed as a 2-bedroom suite, and the description led us to think it would be a suite with two separate bedrooms accessed individually from a common living area. Instead, it was a living area with a queen bed instead of a sofa, and separate bedroom accessed from that room. I would advise confirming the configuration at booking.
The interior hallways have a more dated appearance than the rest of the hotel, but it is all very well maintained and clean. The warm cookies at check-in were delicious, and the clerk gave us one for each member of the family, which was a nice touch.
The property is nice and quiet, if that is important to you. In retrospect, I'd have stayed at one of the less expensive hotels nearer to Route 30 and the area attractions, as this hotel is a little further from the main tourist area.
If upscale and quiet are your main motivators, this is a good place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back parking are probably quieter than the ones facing the interior atrium.
2 Thank John L
Thank you for staying with us, John. I'm happy to read you found our facilities clean and updated and hopefully comfortable. One of the great things about our hotel is its location - away from the very busy route 30 area. One of the bad things about our hotel is its location! We are a short drive the main attractions and pride ourselves on beautiful grounds and pristine facilities set in the heart of the PA Dutch country where it's quiet! We will certainly look at our description of the two bedroom suites and work to make sure our guests are not confused with the actual layout. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and I'd be happy to help if you have anything further to discuss. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, (717) 464-7503
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

A very nice hotel at a great price. Be sure to get one of the cookies at check in. Staff was friendly. It was a good value for the money. Breakfast is not included but there are many cheap breakfast options in the area. There is a water slide area for kids and the pool was a good size.

2 Thank Mike Z
WillowValley, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We hope to serve you again soon, Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; 717-464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel is very good-nice, big and comfy rooms. great pool+little water park. we spend a family gateway on the thanksgiving weekend. the hotel was full with families, but there weren't kids TV stations. the price was high(160+tax), but we took advantage of the hotel's facilities, so it's worth it. The staff was very professional and friendly. they let us free late check out with no problem.bottom line-good value, if you use the amenities.

Room Tip: go to the pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank shaked p
Thank you for your review of our property. I'm happy to read you enjoyed your stay and all of our amenities. Hope you are able to join us again soon. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; 717-464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com