“Front desk help set the tone for our stay!”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
“Front desk help set the tone for our stay!”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We arrived at the hotel around 11:00 pm on 9/16/11 and had the most horrible experience with the man at the check in counter. He had a very bad attitude and was very rude to my wife. Upon check in she asked him for information regarding Stausburg Railroad and he replied come back in the morning without any explanation. He was very dismissive and treated her like she was a 8 year child. When she posed another question for him his reply was, "I'm only one person" like he was unable to check her in and answer a question at the same time. He never said hello or welcome. Overall he set the tone for the rest of the weekend. I don't know what his problem was but in this current economy and for the cost of the room, no one deserves that type of treatment. He is in the customer service business and needs to understand how to treat people with a little respect. The rooms were very nice and the other employees we encountered were very nice and helpful. I would recommend this hotel as long as the person who checked us in is no longer working the front desk. His actions and the way he treated my wife as well as two other hotel guests that evening would be grounds for termination.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Knightsbridge12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
New York, NY
Reviewed September 14, 2011

The hotel property is beautiful. The restaurant onsite was great. Rooms were clean. Everyone we encountered was extremely helpful and kind. My girls (22 months and 5 y/o) loved the kids indoor pool. The Amish countryside was great. I would definitely return to this hotel!!

Room Tip: We did not mind the indoor view. It was actually pretty cool for a short stay.
1 Thank klf28
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 12, 2011

When I walked in, it was beautiful!

It was gorgeous throughout the entire building, my room, bathroom, bed, dining room, the big kids pool with a water slide, and the main hallway! I'd love to come back for another vacation!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful! I would like one in the middle, because of the views of the main hallway an...
1 Thank Allie G
Paoli, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Pros -- clean room, great pool, duck pond, and playground for the kids. Yummy bakery at the Willow Valley Inn. Kids activities included charm bracelet making and pottery painting one night, and hay rides for a couple of hours one day. We didn't get a chance to do either, because of scheduling
Cons -- we stayed in the king suite, and it was TINY. Barely enough room to move around in the two rooms. The bed mattress was old -- there were two distinct indentations on the bed (which I think was a queen, not a king) where people had obviously slept there over and over. Also, we didn't enjoy eating at either restaurant. We went to Cafe 2400. The food was ok, if overpriced. The chips were awful (homemade, but burnt). However, they were BLASTING late 80s metal and Beastie Boys. I have no idea why. I do know that I don't like having to explain to my 5 year old what the various lyrics mean. It was around 7:30 or 8:00 at night, and there mostly families with young kids in the restaurant. We also went to the Willow Valley Smorgasborg for breakfast. The food really wasn't very good -- overcooked and rubbery -- skip it and just go to the bakery--the bakery goods were the best part of the Smorgasborg.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Gwen P
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Great rooms and nice staff. Pool is awesome for kids. They also have craft time for kids for a few dollars.A/C was so loud every time it starts that it wakes you up. Cafe 24 is terrible though. Food over priced and was small quanities and very tasteless. They need a new menu, new chef and servers that actually help you instead of stand around and talk. It was very very slow and it almost empty. Now I know why. Overall very nice place to stay with kids. They loved it - plenty for them to do.

2 Thank houseofpandas
Montgomery Village, MD
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We (husband, self and 3 year old daughter) stayed at the DoubleTree on a recent visit to Dutch Wonderland. The hotel was very nice and the room was very comfortable. We received warm cookies upon check-in that were out of this world (but they did have nuts for anyone with allergies). The staff was friendly and courteous. We had a room facing the exterior so the atrium noise that other reviewed about was not a factor for us. We had a 2 bedroom suite and guest services brought us bed rails so that my daughter could sleep in the queen size by herself, which she LOVED.
The children's pool was amazing and I thought that my daughter would never want to leave. It got crowded later in the evening, but it was a huge hit. The water had a funny smell and the floor was slippery, but neither factor outweighed all the fun we had there.
They even offer crafts for kids in the evening. I naively expected this to be free. We ended up paying $6 for my daughter to make her own travel pillow.
The restaurant in the hotel was nice (cafe 24 hundred). We had the buffet breakfast there both mornings, it was free for the kids and offered kid friendly food. We did have dinner at the neighboring hotel restaurant (Willow Tree Inn) on our first night and found it blah. The cost was considerably cheaper than the dinner at Cafe 24 Hundred, but you get the quality you pay for. Needless to say we had an amazing dinner the next night at the DoubleTree Cafe 24 Hundred. They had a hot dogtapus on the menu which is now my daughters favorite thing (hot dog sliced and cooked so that the slices curl up and make something similar to octopus tentacles).
The Willow Tree Inn has a fabulous bakery with great daily deals. There is also a nice duck pond and playground and when we were there a corn maze too! We had a great time and highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in exterior side room for less atrium noise, especially if you have kids that go to bed early
2 Thank kbvmcrae
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Many people here have talked about the fact that they were kept awake and bothered by the noisy weddings held in the hotel and that the staff did nothing to fix the problem.

I noticed that the assistant manager of the hotel responded several times with some lame kind of excuse.

Having booked this hotel for an upcoming trip, I tried to contact this assistant manager before our stay, asking her for name and leaving 2 voicemails on her personal voicemail box, and sending her one email.

So far I have never heard back from her.

Here is a hint for customer service: Try to solve the problem before the customer complains about it, instead of offering some lame excuse after it happens. And try to respond to customers who take the time to contact you about their stay,

Room Tip: Not happy with my booking experience.
1 Thank NiftyOneHundred
Dory H, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, August 28, 2011
Dear Nifty,
I just thought your comment should have a little clarification as your post didn't include all the information. As the general manager, it is very important for me to hear from customers. I certainly appreciate the feedback and it is really used to make changes in the operation so that our guests have the most comfortable stay possible.
We do respond to guests as quickly as possible, however you left a voicemail on the two days that my assistant was out of the office. When I received your call I answered the phone and spoke with you in person. I explained the reason your call was not returned, offered all the information you needed even explained about Expedia offering the waiver on cancellations. You have been in direct contact with Lisa several times the past two day, she responded to several of your emails during all your changes due to the hurricane. Lisa was personally watching your reservation with the changes to make sure you receive the requested room. This done before she saw your post today. She certainly wants you, as well as all our guests to have the best possible experience.
I hope that you are able to make the trip and enjoy your visit with us at the DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Lancaster PA.