“Urban cool”

Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Falls Church, Virginia
“Urban cool”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My family (husband and teenage daughter) stayed in the Cork Factory hotel this past week. We were in town to see Sight and Sound's Noah performance, and to spend a day at Hershey Park. We happened to hit the hottest time of the summer so far (95+ every day.) The room managed to stay cool for us, but the heating/cooling unit was one of the loudest we've encountered in our travels! Still, we give this hotel good ratings for the overall ambiance, the decor, the location, and the food.

Our room was on the 2nd floor, and had the exposed wooden beams in the ceiling. We were right next to the smokestack, which obscured our view (which didn't matter because it was over the parking lot.) The drawback of the rooms here are that they do not afford any kind of noise deadening, so we could hear TVs, the people walking/floors creaking above us, the people in the hallway, etc. Still, not enough to detract from the overall likeability of the hotel. We did have a leaky pipe in the ceiling over the toilet which dripped through the paneling to the floor, but one call to maintenance fixed that problem.

Beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was clean, and nicely furnished. We really liked the soap with the "hole" in the middle - a testament to not wasting full bars for a few nights' stay. I would rather have had some kind of drawer or storage area under the sink, as having to get the furnished hairdryer out of a bag hanging in the closet outside the bathroom was a bit of a nuisance.

The Cork and Cap restaurant was very nice. I loved the masonry. We arrived a bit late for dinner (8 pm) and we were seated in the bar area. The service was a bit slow to begin with, but when the manager (Keith) came to our table, things picked up. He was gracious to describe the dishes, and as it was late and we didn't want a lot of food, he gave us the "lite bites" menu. The macaroni and cheese is definitely not your "frozen" or "out of the box" kind. It was gourmet in its taste and presentation. My husband raved over the beet salad. Keith was knowledgeable about the hotel and its history, and brought us a book to peruse with "before and after" pictures. The desserts were superb - we had the cheesecake and the chocolate torte. I highly recommend eating there, not only for the food but for the ambiance.

The complimentary breakfast in the morning was adequate. The fruit was fresh, but I would prefer some gluten-free alternatives in their cereal selection (Corn Chex, etc.)

This is definitely a hotel for adults who enjoy a little history and a restful night. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chapopote

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Sunderland, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I'd recommend asking for the fourth floor. My room was quiet (no one above me) -- and it was huge, with a fabulously high ceiling and exposed beams. Slept like a baby. I do think the hotel should provide a page describing the history of the factory. The story is a little sad and very American -- the building housed a factory that made corks and then bottle caps until a decade ago, shutting down when the jobs were moved to Mexico. It's great that at least someone saved the big brick building and converted it to a hotel with such simple and striking design. Industrial chic!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Enpick
Nutley, New Jersey
Reviewed July 16, 2013

You will notice there is something special about this hotel when you pull in to the lot. Obviously it looks nothing like a hotel from the outside. Then, there's this feeling you get when seeing an old factory like this - I believe the building is from 1860. That is astounding to me...the amount of activity that must have taken place within those walls, the number of people who walked its halls. I was struck by the uniqueness long before we arrived so my expectations were very high. The single, large wooden door that is the entrance might throw you off. After all, it seems most hotels have double glass doors as their entryway.

The lobby is beautifully decorated combining modern comfort with historic decor. We were greeted and very promptly checked in to our room on the 2nd floor. Loved the long, narrow hallways! The ceilings in the rooms were very high, so the room does not have a very 'cozy' feeling. But, you're in a FACTORY, what can you expect? The windows, however, are not your standard hotel room windows and they give the space some character.

The bathroom is very modern. I didn't like the very poor lighting. Stand up showers are great, but if you're traveling with someone who needs a bath (eg: children), this is not a good hotel for you. I also wasn't too fond of the shape of the soap - it was very difficult to hold. However, I loved the shampoo & conditioner. The towels were very soft as far as hotel towels go.

The beds were moderately comfortable, a bit on the softer side. The linens were good. They have a small coffee maker, safe (love that!), full size hair dryer and extra pillows & blankets in the room. The have a ton of cable channels to watch.

The old salvaged staircase near the restaurant is not to be missed.

Parking is kind of weird - beware that you don't park in the mattress company's spaces. We ended up parking behind the hotel and using that entrance. It was really no big deal.

Location ---- I saw at least one review referring to the location as 'ghetto'. I think that's a horrible way to describe the area. It's in a part of town that I assume was once more industrial because, afterall, it was a factory! It didn't feel unsafe or "ghetto" to me at all. I've seen hotels in the ghetto...this is not one of them. Also, be aware that there isn't much close by to walk to when staying here so do be prepared to drive or walk a lot. I didn't have an issue with this, as there are many things to see outside of the city of Lancaster anyway.

I have 2 small complaints, aside from the bathroom lighting. One is that the lights on either side of the bed were hooked up to one of the switches by the entrance. One light had a power switch on the cord, the other light we couldn't find anyway to turn it on or off manually. That meant in order to turn that light off, I had to flip the switch off.

Second, the checkout time is 11. It was 11:05 and we were just about to walk out the door when the phone rang asking if we needed a late check-out. While I appreciate the thought (assuming it was sincere), I would have expected them to give us a until at least 11:15 before calling to chase us out of the room. Or maybe I'm being overly sensitive. I get that the checkout time is 11 and I always make every effort to be out the door before checkout time, but there were slightly extenuating circumstances that delayed us a few minutes. Besides, you don't want 100 rooms all checking out at exactly the same time anyway, do you?

Overall, I give it a 4 out of 5 and would consider staying here again if we wanted to be in Lancaster city.

1 Thank Joanna S
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Loved the design! It a unique space with lots of historic artifacts/tools hanging around on the walls. Brick walls, exposed ceilings are beautiful. The mattresses were very comfortable, the pillows - horrible. Kids couldn't sleep on the hard oversuffed pillows, we had to fold some towels to use as pillows. The room was facing the front of the hotel, 2nd floor. The lighting on the building next door was illuminating the room all night. The walls are not insulated - we woke up at 6 from a loud conversation in the room next door. The wiring in the room is bizarre - the desk lamp and the night lamp don't have light switches - they are connected to the wall switch in the front of the room, and there is no way to have one on, and the other one off without having to unplug them. The outlets on one wall turned out to be connected to the same switch. We discovered it in the morning, when we realized that nothing plugged in all night was charged. We obviously turned off the lights at night which in turn turned off the outlets. But not on all walls.
I love good design, but if you want to have a restful night, I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank L K
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

During my road trip I stayed in 4 Hampton Inns in a row and was ready for something different. Different is what you should expect at a boutique hotel and this one is just that.

First you have to pay attention to find the place. It is located within a complex of other brick buildings and the signage is not flashy so you have to look for it. Even then you might have some doubts as you open this single wooden (heavy) door. Not your typical entry into a hotel. But wait until you are inside. You are immediately transported to another world. Cool, dark, quiet. I had a double queen room on the 2nd floor. Very comfortable beds and a fantastic bathroom. The room was 90% quiet. There was some noise from above for about an hour - footsteps, running footsteps, furniture moving. But the noise was not overly intrusive and disappeared by 10pm.

I was not impressed with the complimentary breakfast. There was fresh fruit but it was rather bland. The Hamptons definitely do breakfast better.

I agree with an earlier review about the neighborhood. Not much in walking distance.

The staff was mixed. Night time guy was not overly friendly but the daytime ladies were saying hi to everyone (including other staff).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank grrprr
Avalon, New Jersey
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is an old factory turned into a unique hotel. Rooms had original brick walls and huge ceiling beams. Everything about the room was terrific starting with the luxurious bed to the well maintained bathroom. We only had two real problems-unless you want to eat at the hotel there is nothing in within walking distance except the Lancaster Brewery (which we highly recommend) and a small pub across the street that was closed for the holidays. Second we went to a Lancaster Barnstormers baseball game to watch a game & fireworks-we were looking forward to having a drink at the bar when we got back but it was already closed. We were told that it closes whenever depending on how busy it is. On another good side the breakfast was very good.

1 Thank avalonlion
Virginia, USA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night on July 6 and loved our experience at the Cork Factory Hotel. The room, a king suite, was lovely, comfortable and quiet. The hotel was sold out the evening we stayed and our overall experience was flawless. We had dinner in the on-site Cork and Cap Restaurant. I'd emailed about dinner reservations and Keith Hoffman, the manager stopped by our table to check on us. Barbara was our waiter. The service and her recommendations were outstanding. We would stay again, without question.

1 Thank ivyhill40