New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Sweet Valley, California
“Eh....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was very disappointed by the rudeness of the hotel staff. When I checked in the woman acted as though it was a chore to check me in. Yes it was a bit on the later side, but she was rude and was sighing as though I was being an annoyance to her. The elevator was extremely slow. It was ridiculous. I would have walked up the stairs but my luggage was heavy and I was exhausted to I opted to wait and oh boy did I wait.
My room was nice. It exceeded my expectations. The hair dryer was amazing. I loved it. The toiletries were neat- hollow soap.
The location was a bit iffy. I don't know Lancaster area at all. But it was in the "Urban" district. Urban = ghetto.
Then, back to dealing with the folks that work there... I was in town for a business trip and gone all day. When I returned to the hotel there was a wedding and a rehearsal dinner going on so the place was busy. There was absolutely no where to park. None. The front desk attendant told me to park where it clearly said "tow away zone." I asked if the hotel would then me responsible if my car was towed and I was told to park at my own risk. What? Then the other attendant told me to wait 10 minutes and I could take her spot. I told her I already drove around looking for a spot for 20 minutes, I wasn't going to wait 10 more minutes. They really didn't have any solutions for me other than keep looking and hope someone leaves. For paying $150 per night I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a place to park. Hotel guests should have guarenteed parking. Wedding and event guests should have to park elsewhere (in the tow away zones perhaps since it's not overnight) and the hotel should have thought this out because they were pretty much at capacity as far as reservations go.
So overall, nice place. Beautiful room. However, staff was rude and unprofessional.
I don't think I would stay there again. Check out the Marriott on Queen Street instead (where my business trip was held). It's much nicer, the staff is friendlier, and the price is comparable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank LilaFowler
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

First, let me apologize in earnest for the lack of friendly customer service you received from our front desk. I will be discussing this issue with our Front Desk and Guest Service supervisors, and insisting that all of our front desk agents offer the level of customer service for which the Cork Factory Hotel is known. It is inexcusable that they were neither polite, nor helpful, during your check-in and stay, and I can ensure you that this is not level of service to which most of our guests are accustomed.

I am however, glad to hear that your overnight room not only met, but exceeded your expectations. We enjoy offering not only standard hotel amenities, but also adding some unique flare to otherwise boring and often overlooked staples. We do understand that our elevator can take some time, especially during check-in/check-out or events as the majority of our guests prefer to use it. This is why there are three stair cases (one original, salvaged and refurbished from the original 1860s building) with easy access to all four stories of the hotel. Also, I can assure you that the location of Cork Factory Hotel is far from "ghetto" as you mentioned in your review. In the almost three years of operation, we have never had a problem with our location or the surrounding area. Urban, by our definition, simply means city.

It is very unfortunate that you were unable to find parking. Between the three lots at Urban Place, there is plenty of parking to accommodate everyone, both overnight and event guests. That is why I am disappointed that our staff did not direct you to one of our overflow lots, either the center lot, or the lot available on the East side of building 6 in Urban Place. However, we do offer complimentary on-site parking for all guests, a luxury that the Marriott cannot offer their guests, due to their central-urban location.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, or to discuss how the Cork Factory Hotel can persuade you to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations, please contact me directly using the information provided below. Thank you for your review.

717.735.2075

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Etterbeek, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Very nice hotel, quite trendy. From the hotel it is easy to get to all the villages and farms where amish people live and work.
I did not like: I could clearly hear people of other rooms speaking and moving.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jose P
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review of the Cork Factory Hotel. We do understand that in certain parts of the hotel noise can carry, especially when the hotel is at its highest capacities. The designers made a conscious decision to leave the high vaulted ceilings, original wooden beams, and wooden floor boards in tact, rather than destroy its aesthetic and historic appeal. We believe this adds to the charm of our unique hotel. I do apologize, however, if you did not get the rest you were expecting.Otherwise, I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you will keep the Cork Factory Hotel in mind on your next retreat to Lancaster, Pa.

Patchogue
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed for three nights recently and loved the hotel. It is a really beautiful building. The continental breakfast included all the usual items from cereal to bagels, fruit and danishes. We did not eat in the restaurant but visited the bar a couple nights and had a really nice time. It is a bit of a walk to downtown Lancaster. In town, take the historical walking tour if you can.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor which had really high, beautiful ceilings.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ValD118
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive review of the Cork Factory Hotel! It is always exciting to hear that a guest was satisfied, not only with their stay, but with the unique architecture and aesthetic design of our building. Please keep us in mind for your next retreat to Lancaster, Pa.

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had the pure pleasure of staying 2 nights at the Cork Factory Hotel in Lancaster, PA over the Columbus Day weekend. What an AMAZING HOTEL! This hotel is actually a converted cork factory that is 4 stories high and ALL of the character of the old factory is still part of the current, modern hotel! It is the most unique hotel t hat we have every stayed in! We were on the 4th floor and the ceiling was vaulted and the original wooden beams and ceiling was there! The piping was visible, as was the exposed brick wall. The restaurant in the hotel was simply amazing (food wise, as well as decore wise). Stone walls and the bar was made out of the original wood found in the factory! There is also a ballroom and outside terrace (3 weddings the weekend we were there) on the 2nd floor! I would highly recommendthis hotel for all the comfort and character that you may want to experience on your getaway weekend! We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: I would ask for the 4th floor!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank newyork145_9
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review of the Cork Factory Hotel! We hope to see you on your next retreat to Lancaster, Pa. Thanks, again!

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I want to like this hotel - I really do, and there is plenty to draw you in. The architecture is interesting and most of the hotel is well-designed (except for the exceptionally slow elevator). Three nice wide stairways to every floor though. One odd thing is the repetition of the same artwork! I counted the same painting over 30 times - perhaps these were to go in each room and not in a row up and down every corridor and stairway?!? Room was clean, but the lighting is inadequate in both the bathroom & living area. Nice bar with good staff, and the restaurant was very accommodating. Heavy on the carbs at breakfast with no protein selection - maybe something without sugar like whole grain toast? The front desk ranges from totally unfriendly to fairly helpful. No help with bags for the older folks or ladies traveling alone. Keep working at it Cork and you could earn that great historic hotels plaque on the front which usually indicates stellar customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - you still may hear talking from adjoining rooms and corridor, but it's be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank OutNextWeek
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review of the Cork Factory Hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our customers, especially our local guests (as I see you are from Lancaster). We are glad you enjoyed your time at the Cork & Cap Restaurant and Bar, and that our staff there were accommodating. We do understand that our elevator can take some time, especially during check-in/check-out as the majority of our guests prefer to use it. This is why there are three stair cases (one original, salvaged and refurbished from the original 1860s building) with easy access to all four stories of the hotel. I assure you that our the management of the Cork Factory Hotel is constantly working to train all of our employees to reflect the customer service that our guests have come to expect. Please feel free to contact me directly using the information listed below if you would like to discuss your stay further, and to what the Cork Factory Hotel can do to encourage you to give us another chance to not only meet, but exceed, your expectations. Again, I thank you for your review.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at the Cork Factory Hotel for a wedding. Although it seems to be part of a shopping center from the street (and easy to drive by when the trees cover part of the sign!), once you get back to the actual property it was great. Two good friends were married in the ballroom there with a reception immediately following. The hotel and banquet staff were excellent and everything went off perfectly. I also ate at the Cap and Cork restaurant and the food was very good. Joe was bartending the lunch shift and went out of his way to make me an espresso coffee when I desperately needed it to get through my day of bridesmaiding!

As other reviewers have mentioned, some of the rooms can be a bit loud. There are a lot of gorgeous brick walls and tile floors throughout the facility as well as inside the sleeping rooms. A bit more soundproofing between rooms could be helpful. We stayed on the first floor and I heard my next door neighbor turn on the TV at 7 AM. Some of our good friends staying with their 18 month old were assigned a room over the ballroom and the loud music from the wedding reception was literally right under their floor. The front desk staff were extremely accommodating and moved them to a quieter (and larger) room at 9:00 PM.

Room Tip: If you need a quiet room, be sure to request this upon check-in. Any rooms in the vicinity of the b...
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChampCamp
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your positive review of the Cork Factory Hotel. I am pleased to hear that the wedding you attended was enjoyable, and that the staff exceeded your expectations both in service and attitude. We do understand that in certain parts of the hotel noise can carry, especially when the hotel is at its highest capacities. The designers made a conscious decision to leave the high vaulted ceilings, original wooden beams, and wooden floor boards in tact, rather than destroy its aesthetic and historic appeal. We believe this adds to the charm of our unique hotel. I do apologize, however, that you did not get the rest you were expecting. I am glad to hear, however, that our front desk did exactly what they are trained to do when they moved your acquaintance with a young child. I hope you will keep the Cork Factory Hotel in mind on your next retreat to Lancaster, Pa.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel is spotless and the rooms were huge! Great bar and restaurant, and exceptional continental breakfast included. Noise? On both nights we stayed there were weddings, and we did not experience such problems. Staff was fun, helpful and friendly. I'll stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda_friends
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive review of the Cork Factory Hotel!I It is always exciting to hear that your stay was enjoyable, and that our staff exceeded the level of customer service for which we strive. We hope to see you on your next visit to Lancaster, Pa. Thanks, again!