“Enjoyed stay - unusual, large loft-like room”
Review of Cork Factory Hotel

Cork Factory Hotel
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Traveled to Amish country with two other adults and decided to stay here cause of the unusual building. Our week night stay (Weds) was discounted. Had a large room with 3 big windows, loft like feel and 2 queen beds. There were also 2 easy chairs one with large ottoman, very comfy. Okay the lamps there were the wrong height for reading but just nitpicking.

Check in time was 2 PM we got there about 12:30 and our room was ready so that was great. The room had a slightly musty smell (I am super sensitive to these things and this did not bother me at all later). This was easily corrected by opening the window. I read a lot about the staff not being friendly. I would not say they'd be my next bff but they were very polite and extremely helpful.

We reserved a room on the 4th floor as this was said to be the quietest. Also the super high loft ceiling was beautiful. The room was easily big enough for 3 adults to relax, chat and watch wonky old style tv (okay we were tired from travel). But I very much enjoyed being in this space.

I brought earplugs and was woke once by a truck from the factory next store. We did sleep with the windows open, I think the truck noise might not have been a factor with the window closed. This didn't bother me much but I used to live on a commercial street. My traveling companions did think this was disturbing. They also complained of the air filtration system going off and on. This didn't bother me. Would suggest ear plugs or white noise machine.

The light coming thru the blinds in the morning was pretty strong. I got up and put a towel over my eyes. If I go again I'd bring a sleep mask.

Also had to sign a paper on the way in saying we would be quiet may have been after 11 PM I didn't read it, works for me. Oh and no sneaking in animals ...

Tips - there is a small fridge and a safe in the armoire with the tv. Maybe it is just me, but it took me awhile to discover the fridge.
If you want to put anything in the fridge buy it on the way and bring it in, the soda/water machine just took money and no beverages in return.
If you want a tub I'd request it. We had only a shower which was fine. The bathroom was very clean.
There are extra pillows in the closet which was great for me but I had to contact the front desk to get an extra pillow case. Judging from the make up on the pillow I didn't use, not all my fellow travelers were that concerned with requesting the extra pillow case. Would have been nice to just have them all pillow cased up and ready to go :) Some folks complained that the sheets weren't soft enough in reviews that I read. I didn't notice this and the bed was really comfortable seemed firm with some cushy thing on top.

Although I was concerned with sleeping cause of what I read in reviews what with noise and lack of soundproofing, the light thru the blinds and the sheets, I still had a good night's sleep.

Looked at the gym, seemed basic but serviceable. I don't work out anymore so I am not the best to judge. It is open 24 hours with the room key. Only one ice machine and it is on the same floor as the gym ... forgot which floor.

The continental breakfast was a hit with my traveling companions. I don't eat wheat or sugar so if you have special needs byo. The fruit was very good though and for a regular eater plenty of cold cereal, pastries, bagels, yogurt (all with sugar), small containers of cream cheese and peanut butter. The coffee was good. Nice selection of tea. Also I thought the toaster available for toasting your bagel (or byo wheat free bread!) was a really nice touch. It was also nice to sit in the restaurant area with the continental breakfast, very classy.

We didn't eat at the restaurant so don't know how the food is.

This place is in the middle of nowhere without a car. Well I saw an English Pub across the street and the Lancaster Brewing company was a block or two away. With a car it is convenient to things in the area Amish country, downtown Lancaster, malls.

I enjoyed myself, found the room relaxing overall, liked the feel of the place and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Request 4th floor if you want to avoid overhead noise, plus really neat loft like feel
1  Thank bluewagon

Reviewed October 24, 2011

My fiancé and I stayed at the Cork Factory for a wedding this past weekend. Upon walking into the hotel we went to the desk where we talked to the two most unfriendly, unhelpful women. This was the beginning of our experience with the terrible staff. We booked our room for this wedding a year and a half ago. When we checked in, I presented the girl with our room confirmation that showed we reserved a King sized suite in July of 2010. She gave us our room key and when we got upstairs, we walked into a room with two double beds. We could have stayed in that room because there was plenty of space for us, but we were annoyed that it was the wrong room. We went to the front desk and told the girl and she said she didn't know what to do because all of the King sized rooms were booked. I responded by saying "One of them is booked for us!" Since we checked in very early, I felt that they should have given us the room we reserved and paid for and dealt with their lack of King sized room for someone who checked in later. She said there was nothing she could do and we decided to drop it and went to eat around the corner. When we were walking back, I got a call from the hotel saying they were going to switch our room, which I was happy about. They ended up giving us the King sized suite we reserved and paid for.

The wedding was beautiful. I loved the Cork Factory's vibe and it was a great place for a small wedding. It was a buffet style meal of comfort foods and it was very tasty. The mac and cheese was delicious! However, The whole time at the wedding, the two staff who were overseeing the event were doing exactly that...OVERSEEING! They stood in the corner and watched everyone the entire night! It was actually uncomfortable. They were watching everyone like a hawk which really could have dampened the party atmosphere, but thankfully didnt do much more than annoy everyone. The restaurant is downstairs from the Ballroom and event staff actually told the Bride and Groom that people eating downstairs were complaining of the stomping of their dancing guests. When the couple heard this, the only thing we could all do was stomp even louder, which made the event staff even more vigilant. I thought that was so unreal that the staff actually had the nerve to tell the Bride and Groom who spent a lot of money on their reception to keep curb the dancing at their wedding because their resturant guests below were complaining.

All and all....beautiful hotel but it's a shame that the staff is AWFUL! We would only stay there again if the staff got some customer service training and learned how to say "hello" and slap a smile on their faces. We have never seen a bigger bunch of miserable people in one place before! We are from NJ so we are used to the occassional rude person, but this was off the charts even for us.

1  Thank kristin320
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I'll start this review with a positive but have struggled to rate it with such mixed feelings!
We booked on line only days before staying last month and were amazed to find a hotel of this calibre at such a reasonable price. On arrival we were impressed with the modern feel of the place & once upstairs were blown away with our room on the 3rd floor! A huge open plan loft style with two large floor to ceiling windows, large & very comfy upholstered furniture, a modern & sparkling clean bathroom with walk-in shower, huge wardrobe & comfortable king size bed. Along with free car-parking & an inclusive buffet breakfast, it certainly represented great value.
Sadly the flip-side to this was a total lack of cutomer service & assistance for the duration of our stay - from ALL staff - to the point of rudeness. The greeting on arrival didn't warrant the male attendant raising his head to look at us nor did he offer any verbal dialogue past the essentails (certainly no hello) - instead we were handed a key, grunted a floor & the lift was pointed at! When we came downstairs to ask where best to park & about arrangements for breakfast we waited 15 minutes for assistance & were met with rude, short & sarcastic responses. Even upon check-out we had difficulty raising a response from staff more interseted in chatting to each other than helping us with payment!
One can only assume the lack of interest in any customer service delivery filters down from a Management team with absolutely no interest in providing any - nor it would seem in addressing complaints or reviews (not one response to trip-advisor comments).
My suggestion if you're planning to stay at the Cork Factory Hotel would be to enjoy the experience to the full ....just lower any expectations you might previously of had for any customer care & attention & you might even be pleasantly suprised!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delta260
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Oct ,2011, My husband and I went to Lancaster, to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary. I wanted to surprise him by not staying at one of the run of the mill chain hotels. The Cork Factory seemed to be the place, since he loves old buildings. When we approached the hotel, which was not easy to find. He commented to me, "We're staying in a factory?" I told him to just wait and see. From the time we entered the lobby, he just loved the place. Our room was large, clean and one very comfortable bed, the large walk in shower was the icing on the cake. -- Very nice.
Our downside to our trip, was the person at the desk, wasn't very informative about were things where, and never told us about the free complementary breakfast in the morning. Later that day, we overheard a different staff person at the desk, telling other guests about the breakfast . Not that it mattered after going down in the morning. We were expecting hot food, not bagels and cereal. For a hotel with that type of character, you would assume better information and a more appealing breakfast. The downside would not keep us from going back again.

2  Thank Patsky2
Reviewed October 21, 2011

A friend and I met at Cork Factory Hotel for a conference. The staff was very nice and friendly, they went out of their way to may our visit enjoyable. The hotel was very ornate. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms very clean. They serve a very nice complementary breakfast in the morning. Though we did not eat in the restaurant for dinner we did hear the food was good. Without a doubt I would stay there again, if I am ever in the area. Corinne

1  Thank Corinne R
Reviewed October 12, 2011

When my friend and I checked in to this Hotel, we were not even greeted, the clerk looked up and said "Can I help you", no smile, no welcome, very cold. He gave us the room key and told us what level the room was on, I had to ask about everything from where to park, to where was the breakfast that was included with our room, to which he replied pointing down the hallway, "down there". We struggled with our bags up to our room and wandered thru the halls and a couple of sets of doors and finally reached our room. It was not the room pictured when I had reserved and did not have 2 Queens as I had reserved. I called down to the front desk and an answering machine came on, I left a message and stood around waiting for a call back. About 10 min later the same clerk knocked on our door and said" you wanted Queen beds" and handed me the keys to a new room and also said "bring the keys back down from this room when your done". He started to walk away, and I said "Do you atleast have a cart we could use" he replied "yeah, there's one downstairs". I then asked well do you think you could bring it up for us, he kind of grunted, ok. We switched rooms went down to bar had some drinks, then went back later for dinner. The bartenders were our waiters in between making drinks. We had to send our Salmon back twice, the first time it was completely raw and after 20 mins it came back, I took a bite it was ice cold in the middle. Sent it back again, this time it took about a half an hour to come back. I said half jokingly to the bartender/waiter, hey how about you buy us a couple of drinks for all the trouble, he replied "why, I didn't make the food". We then went down for our breakfast the next morning. There are no employees to seat you, and people getting up and going to buffet, we finally figured out you set yourself. We had no silverware, glasses, napkins etc so I did finally see a busboy and asked "is everything in the other room, do we just go get what we want?" he said "uh, I don't know, I'm really busy, I gotta lot of tables to clean". We went into the buffet room, they were out of plates, glasses napkins, yogurt and who knows what else. It was horrendous Guest Service from every employee of the Hotel we encountered. The Hotel itself is beautiful and the second room we got was very comfortable, its just not worth the money for the lack of common courtesy and their unwelcoming attitudes.

1  Thank PittMonkeygirly
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We enjoyed our time at the Cork. The beds are very comfortable and the breakfast continental breakfast located inside the Cap is very tasty. The building itself is very pretty and the perfect location for weddings. Other benefits of the hotel are the free wifi and free parking.

1  Thank Yezel