“Great place, stay on top floors” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cork Factory Hotel

Cork Factory Hotel
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Alapaha, Georgia
“Great place, stay on top floors”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Found this place on trip advisor. The outside and grounds are great. The lobby and rooms are awesome with high ceilings and exposed beams. I will agree with others that soundproofing is an issue. We were on the second floor and some kids above made for some problems getting to sleep but were a good wake up call.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Alexandria, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

The atmosphere is incredible! Though completely renovated, you can still feel the history. The continental breakfast was very nice, and beyond expectations. There was some noise from the floor above, due to the fact that they kept original ceilings, but the little bit of noise was worth the ambiance!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alwaysawigirl
Hopewell junction,ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I travel extensively for my business and have stayed at nearly every high end hotel in Lancaster,Pa There are three that merit everyone's consideration and the Cork Hotel is one. Centrally located near every attraction and activity in the area plus unquestionable quality of the staff and all the hotel amenities : lodging ( I always stay in the honeymoon suite and I'm there every two weeks);the restaurant : The Cap & Cork always hits the mark and especially the lovely Sandy who is there to make my breakfasts an absolute joy;the nicest bar you will find anywhere in the area attended by the Goddess's Michele & Jasmine and the very attentive and well mannered staff. Plenty of parking everywhere and clean spacious rooms. Great value and refreshingly hip/modern/classic all in one. For those of you that commented about the lack of curtains to block the morning sun : go to bed earlier so you have more time to enjoy the next day or put some of the extra big pillows provided in every room over your head. None of you who complained could ever do a better job than the family who put their hearts into this amazing place so just shut up and give credit where it's due. Greg @ The Car Store

Room Tip: Tell them you saw my review : that should do it
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank itsthateasy5813
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

No qualms about the esthetic appeal of the hotel- chic, hip look of exposed brick and wood from the structure's past life as a factory. But they did not give much thought to soundproofing when they remodeled the building. This is by far the noisiest hotel in which I've ever had the displeasure of trying to sleep.

My conclusion is that as a historic preservation/repurposing project the hotel is worth seeing, but if you want to sleep you'd be better off in a Motel 6 (or in the backseat of your car.)

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank FamblyGuy
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

This hotel is an old factory which has been converted into a very nice hotel. These kinds of properties usually have a unique charm and atmosphere, and this one was no exception. There were a few quirks, but they were charming, and should be expected in a property like this. We had a handicapped room with a kind-size bed, which was apparently the last room they had available (we were walk-ins). The room was a large comfortable size. The bed and bedding were very comfortable, and we slept well. The room was very clean, and we liked the modern decor. The bathroom was huge (I suppose to accommodate wheelchairs), and was fully equipped for handicapped use. We didn't hear much noise during our stay, however in the morning we could easily hear someone walking around in the room above our room -- floor boards creaking, foot steps, etc. This didn't bother us at all, but I can imagine that it might bother someone who's sensitive to this kind of noise. Bathroom: Very nicely tiled and very clean, however there is no where practical to put your toiletries -- they should consider installing at least a shelf in addition to the towel rack near the sink. The restaurant: We had drinks and dinner in their restaurant, which we really enjoyed. The night we were there, the bar was fun and active, and the bartenders were helpful and charming! The restaurant was very good - we like the food and the service was professional and attentive. Overall, it was a good experience at the Cork Factory Hotel -- we recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Princess1043
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

Such a cool place in Lancaster City. The breakfast was above and beyond what we expected. The hotel was beautifully done and very chic. Great place for the price!! Will definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Megan M
East Greenwich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

I am going to keep this brief.
Staff is extremely curt and unfriendly.
There are NO CURTAINS on the windows- only blinds, so if you're sensitive to light, tough luck, you will be woken up when the sun comes up. I guess curtains are a luxury.
There was a MURDER right across the streeet while we were there- I mean directly across the street! The news crew, police, yellow tape etc, and coroner were outside for 2 full days. Very shadey neighborhood.
They have no shower caps, toothpaste, or anything like that in case you forgot something, nor are there any stores within walking distance to buy them.
The gym has 4 old rusty machines with no airconditioning.
Do I even have to mention the lack of insulation for sound-proofing, since everyone else already did? Well, you can hear everything- I mean everything.
I went down to ask for a manager to speak with- but surprise surprise, there is no manager! No assistant manager, no GM- absolutely no one to speak with.
The restaurant downstairs closes at 9pm, so if you're hungry at 9:15- they won't let you in- and room-service- forget it! That is not an option.
The bathroom had hair all over the tub when we arrived. I went down to complain, and the front desk person was doubting what I said, saying that their housekeeping staff is very good. Yeah, well if they were so good, there wouldn't be hair all over the bathroom upon check in! We stayed for 3 nights- they never once vacuumed our room- despite the fact that we spilled some crumbs on the carpet, big obvious bread-crumbs, and they made the beds, but couldn't be bothered to vacuum.
Breakfast consisted of stale, day old pastries and bagels, and unripened fruit- and cold coffee. Disgusting- and there was no Dunkin' Donuts/Starbucks or anything where one could go to get a decent bagel and coffee, nevermind a real breakfast.
Water pressure in the shower was pretty minimal.
I left there exhausted, miserable, and sleep deprived.
Upon check-out the front desk person asked how our stay was, and I replied it was the worst hotel I've ever been to in my life, and I'm a very frequent traveler. She said ok, printed out my receipt and sent me on my way.
I'm not sure why she asked if she didn't really care.
I am writing this review to save the next weary traveler some money and aggravation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple