“A little on the noisy side”

Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
“A little on the noisy side”
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located on a busy strip so there is probably no room in the hotel that can offer the quiet night's sleep one would expect. Unfortunately, I was given a room near the highway next to a 24 hour gas station. Between the roaring semis and souped-up cars peeling out of the gas station, a good night's sleep was a wish. Other than that, the room was clean and well-kept.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Nomadhunter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Lexington Park, Maryland, United States
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I travel often and have a pretty good base of experience with hotel chains. The Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster is tarnishing the reputation of the Wyndham brand. For instance, upon arriving at the door of our room we were greeted with a large, chalky carpet stain at the entrance. Our shower curtain had disgusting, dark, splatter stains (feces?). And the shower head was covered with mineral deposits.

It would be better if this hotel did not offer the hot breakfast. It was a terrible experience. The oatmeal was half cooked and lukewarm. I would have needed a hammer and chisel to break up the brown sugar. The coffee cups were small, cheap, white styrofoam. The smell of burnt toast was heavy in the air because the toaster repeatedly caught bread on fire as it got stuck on the conveyor. The gentleman serving the breakfast bar was visibly stressed, hurried and annoyed. The trash receptacle was overflowing onto the floor. Needles to say, I had an apple, an unripe banana and a styrofoam cup of coffee for breakfast.

A bad experience. Thankfully, I was only staying for one night. I might as well have stayed in a budget hotel. I would have saved money and probably had a better experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Larry C
Eric C, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback regarding your recent, even though it was "disappointing" to read. The "chalky stain" is actually a faded spot. A housekeeper had an accident recently with the bathroom tile cleaner, which does contain bleach. I apologize that we have not yet had the time top replace that faded bit of carpet. The spot on the shower curtain is not feces as you state but is inexcusable nonetheless. I will follow up with the appropriate personnel. We have replaced the shower curtain. The oatmeal and brown sugar should be much better than that. I can use your comments to re-train the staff. I again offer an apology. As for the toaster, it is never bread that smokes. Unfortunately, a guest sometimes wants to warm up a Danish or cinnamon roll in the toaster. The sugar icing melts and burns on the heating elements. That is out of our control. I am not sure what you require instead of the "Small, cheap, white Styrofoam." As for the attendant, I received compliments from other guests the morning you had breakfast here about how well he was doing with the crowd. He is very experienced and usually does an outstanding job handling the line. We were sold out the night you stayed and, depending on the time you came down for breakfast, had as many as fifty guests getting their food at the same time. We cannot control the flow of guests for our complimentary breakfast. I realize I have "out of our control" twice in this response. While not perfect, the breakfast at The Wingate has improved this past year. We will continue to improve thanks to feedback such as yours. I used this phrase to explain that people are people and we do our best to satisfy everyone. Unfortunately, we did not meet that goal with you.
Lancaster
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Have stayed at other Wyndham properties and this as well as the others were an excellent value We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

My family and I always come to Lancaster it is one of our favorite vacation spots,mostly because of the quiet and just the environment itself. Were from NY so we need the peace from time to time. So anyway we always stay here at the Wyndham. The prices are great, the rooms are comfortable, the breakfast is very good and we love Eric the manager, what a nice guy. The only unfortunate part was that the last 2 times we stayed here we had issues with the cleanliness. This has been the second stay that we were very disappointed. When we left for the day we thought we would come to a nice cozy, comfortable, clean room but unfortunately it was not that way. The bathroom had hair all over the floor, the mirrors were dirty, there was dirt all over the toilet and bathtub, the towels that we have left on the floor, literally two of them, were re folded and put back, the rug was not vacuumed, the bed looked like my 6 year old fixed it although I think my 6 year old would do a better job. Basically the room was a huge huge sad disaster. I gave the hotel a 4 because I do love it but I couldn't give them 5 because of the cleaning service it's just really really bad. They either need to reprimand their workers or just get ones that do their job right. Other than that I would recommend the hotel and hope to go back again in July for the Gettysburg reenactment.
Grossman family (Staten Island NY)

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank nyurn1981
Eric C, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for being a regular customer of the Wingate Lancaster. This is my least favorite type of review. That is, the one that says everything was good but... I apologize for the improper cleaning of your room during your stay. I can use this information to review the importance of details when doing the "stayover" rooms with the housekeepers. I am also humbled by your praise and do appreciate it. We look forward to proving to you that we can do it right when you return in July.