“Not the quality expected”

Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Culpeper, Virginia
“Not the quality expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed at this hotel again because of my past experience. The price to me was not a problem since I knew what to expect. A couple of things that really bothered me were, the two toilet paper rolls in the bathroom were almost finished and there were no replacements, the tables and cabinets were so dusty, the phone................gosh the phone was so dusty and looked to have never been wiped, there was only one set of towels, the linens seemed to be dusty as well.
Overall, my stay was not that pleasant because I did not expect to get a dusty room.
I am still not too happy about the price I paid, since I did not get a quality service that I knew of Wingate.
When I addressed the front desk clerk in the morning, all he said was "you should have called us". He then proceeded to charge me for the room and did not offer any other apologies or even refer me to the manager. To me, that a clear show of not caring at all. Guess he was quick to charge me and get me out.
On the other hand, I had thought that I would have been better off staying at local cheap hotels and just go from there.
Wingate, you can absolutely do better to address customer concerns rather than just brushing them off, and just quick to charge them.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank A S
John A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
I apoligize that we did not meet your expectations. Based on your comments and concerns I did address these issues with the proper personnel. I do thank you for your comments and if I didn't get these remarks I can not correct the potential problems. I aslo see you had placed a customer care case with Wyndham and I hope I had addressed your issues there as well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Very nice and clean place to stay.Wonderful staff and great contiinental breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank hopalongbo
Bronx NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

My family and I made our annual trip to the Lancaster area to visit nearby Hershey Park for Christmas Candy Lane. I booked two rooms at the Wingate and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the rooms, public spaces and staff. Check in was easy with the general manager John Ashbrook manning the front desk. The complimentary breakfast was your standard fare of coffee, waffles, bagels, pre cooked eggs and sausages, etc. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel, instead we ate at local restaurants.
The rooms had two queen beds, a chair with ottoman, desk with swivel chair, flat screen TV, coffee maker, microwave, and fridge. The staff were excellent especially a young woman named Taneisha who worked tirelessly to keep the rooms cleaned and stocked.
The hotel also has a whirlpool, fitness center and business center. It is located on Lincoln Highway close to shopping, restaurants and roads.
If there was one negative, it was the room arrangements. When I booked I asked for adjoining rooms. John explained that rooms with adjoining doors were in short supply so, he gave me rooms opposite each other. The problem with that was the rooms were actually diagonally across from each other instead of directly across from each other. It was awkward for family members to visit the rooms when not dressed in street clothes.
That was our only drawback from our experience. Would I go back again? Yes, unless they raise the rates outrageously.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank ABronxTale
Hawthorne, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

Check-in went with no problem, however, when we got to our room, we discovered that there was no kitchen facilities as we had anticipated. For the very enormous cost, I would have expected more. When I went to the front desk to question this, I was told that the king room was comparable to other hotels in the area. I did a lot of research on hotels before booking this one and I can assure you, this was the most expensive. I could have paid less and had a kitchenette in my room. We specifically wanted a kitchen facility so we did not have to buy many meals outside in restaurants and save a little money. The breakfast was terrible. My eggs were cold, the sausage overcooked and cold and the english muffins were stale. There were other people in the breakfast room at the same time as us who went to Burger King to get breakfast because their assessment of the breakfast was the same as mine. The two positives of this hotel were location and cleanliness. We took a very rare mini-vacation without our 4 year old son and were looking forward to peace and quiet. We did not get this either. There were several families on our floor, one of which had a small child. I do understand how children are and I don't blame the hotel for this, but the couple with the small child, allowed her to roam the hallway late at night and very early in the morning yelling and running and stamping her feet. She woke me up several times. I finally had to open my door and ask the parents to keep her quiet (at 7:15 a.m. I don't feel that was an unreasonable request) We also booked through Windham Rewards and received NO points for our stay. Overall, it was not the pleasant weekend I had hoped for and would definitely choose a different hotel on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
John A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
I would like to thank you for staying with the Lancaster Wingate Hotel and I would like to respond to your review, I do apoligize for confusion regarding the impression of having an efficiency kitchen, our hotel rooms are equiped with a refrigator as well as a microwave oven. Our website does give a full discription of our rooms. Our rates are in line and do reflect the pricing of our stangard of hotel. Also, upon investagation points were applied to the said account. Again; I would like to thank you for your valued feedback in that this may assist with other patrons.
Clifton Heights, Pa.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

The hotel appears to be new, comfortable and inviting...... beware..... it is loaded with roaches. They were everywhere. We switched rooms thinking it was just a problem on the first floor.... we were wrong. The last straw was the hot tub room........ there were several running about the room..... I still have nightmares ...... all I can say is beware, they're everywhere.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sarick2003
John A, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
I understand this concern, however in response I would like to mention that yes there was a water bug found. This location is in proximity to the ground level door and we had just experienced a five day rain resulting in minor excess water in that area. As I had addressed this issue I had issued a credit for this guest resulting in a complementry stay. We do pride our hotel on cleanleness and friendly guest service. John Ashbrook, GM.
Ocala, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Four adults in one room with two queen beds. The room was very large and spacious. There was a nice chair and ottoman, desk and chair and a bench besides the bed to sit on. The room colors were a nice chocolate brown and blue. My suggestion would be that if they know there will be four people in a room to make sure there are extra towels every day, since you cannot take the towels out of the hot tub area and when we arrived there are two toilet paper dispensers and both were down to 1/4 roll each, so had to request toilet paper to get us through the night. The complimentary breakfast was available for 3 hours each morning. You better get there early to get a choice in fruit, milk and the hot items actually hot. The closer to 9 a.m. you got the place was full with families. We had to put the eggs and sausage in the microwave to heat them up, since they were luke warm at best. The location was good and easy access to the outlet malls and to several amish communities.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank RhondaFL
Thank you for your nice comments, that's very appreciated. As for the other minor concerns I will address them accordingly. Thank you for your valued feedback. John Ashbrook GM
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed here with two young children for four nights. We got a good price through the Wingate website and found the manager John to be helpful and patient when we needed to make a last minute change to the reservation. Rooms are comfortable and well-furnished. Having a fridge and microwave was so convenient. We aren't big breakfast eaters, but everyone was able to find something they liked. My only complaint--and this is not a problem that is limited to this hotels--is that I wish they were a little more thorough when they vacuum. Every day I found little candies or crackers on our carpet that weren't from my family and some of the corners were also very dusty. Overall I would recommend this hotel, and I plan to return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family