“Disappointed”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I was so excited to stay over for the Marriot's New Year Celebration. The room was nice but walls are paper thin. Did not appreciate our next door neighbors coming in quite loudly at 4 in the morning and carrying on the noise level quite a bit after that. I would have to say that the worst part was having my purse stolen at the New Year event. By the way, I was not the only one! Yes, security got right on it, took my name, etc. But when I called the next day to check on things and to voice my concerns I was told I would get a call back from the security manager but that never happened. Worst of all. Since they have three people manned outside the event room for security my concern was, how do multiple purses get stolen? Bottom line is when you pay such an extravagant price you expect impeccable service. Did not happen. Also, keep a good eye on your belongings because no one else is.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Maddiepa

Reviewed January 2, 2011

I spent quite a bit of time at the Marriott in Lancaster over the past few months for work, and was very pleasantly surprised to see such a nice, new, and classy hotel smack in the middle of town. Rooms are clean and modern, the fitness center is huge, and restaurant/bar is trendy. Great views of town from the upper floors. Only downside is that the restaurant and room service but too much butter in everything--food might be great for a night when in town, but not good for an extended stay, and is quite pricey.

1  Thank mkday
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Marriott has done a wonderful job of furnishing and decorating the hotel. The lobby itself is a work of modern art. Spectacular! My wife and I found
our corner room on the 14th floor to be quite lovely and most comfortable.
Our breakfast in the hotel's retauant was fine as was the service.
The only hiccup, if you will, was the $28 overnight charge for valet parking, which for Lancaster, seems on the high side.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank greybees
Reviewed December 27, 2010

I have been staying at this hotel 2-3 nights per weeks for six months (It's the only Marriott in the Lancaster area). The rooms are comfortable, but the service continues to be disappointing in a number of areas, as follows:
1. Service in the restaurant is glacially slow. It typically takes 10 minutes for a server to greet you after you're seated. Then your meal is delivered very slowly. The food is consistently good, but why must one wait so long?
2. The Concierge Lounge is a consistent disappointment. The breakfast served is the same boring thing every morning - limp bacon, overcooked/dry scrambled eggs, and a small amount of fruit. No variation ever. No bread available for toasting. In the evening, the Lounge frequently runs out of dessert and the kitchen is very slow in providing replacements.
3. The hotel has reserved the 53 parking spaces closest to the door for valet parking. That is particularly inconvenient when guests have to walk through the full length of the parking garage in the Winter to reach the closest hotel door. What misguided logic by hotel management tells them that guests should be inconvenienced so that employees don't have to walk a longer distance?

Finally, and most frustrating, hotel management has not acknowledged nor responded to the complaints that I have submittted on complaint cards. This is the best indication that they don't care about guest's concerns

2  Thank weager
Reviewed December 13, 2010

This hotel is located on Penn Square in Lancaster, PA - in the heart of Amish Country. It is only one block from the weekend indoor farmers' market, which features lots of Amish goods. The town museum, very interesting with working antique printing presses on one floor, is also nearby. The staff is friendly, helpful, polite. The hotel is clean and well-appointed. We had a great time!

However, try to find parking on the street. It's expensive to use the hotel's parking lot.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank StudyTravel
Reviewed November 29, 2010

We stayed at this hotel in order to celebrate Thanksgiving with family and friends in Lancaster, PA. It used to be an old department store downtown and the Marriott company added on to the old building to create a beautiful new hotel. The lobby is quite impressive with very tall ceilings and the room we had was large and beautiful. It was a corner king. There was a nice desk, huge king bed and flat screen t.v. facing the bed. The bathroom was marble and spacious. The shower was good although it was over the tub. The unfortunate thing about the hotel is the service. Both during breakfast and lunch it was extremely slow getting our food. The food was very good, however, once we finally did get it. The staff was friendly. However, we asked the consierge to reserve a taxi for us to get to the train early the next morning. She said that there was no need because it only took 10 minutes to get a taxi whenever needed. Big mistake. In the morning they said it would be at least 30 minutes for a taxi. This was very nerve wracking and thankfully one of the valet men called a friend of his to take us to the train station. He was there in 10 minutes and we made our train. Next time we will call the taxi directly to reserve. We would stay here again but will not trust the staff to take care of anything critical. I did not use the spa or pool but they both looked very nice.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Openstudio
mmoosic, General Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2010

On behalf of the staff and management of the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, I want to express appreciation for all constructive feedback offered by our guests on this forum.

Thank you for your comments about the Lancaster Marriott’s grand lobby and beautiful guestrooms; we are very proud of the commitment from our stakeholders to preserve the significant and historical features of the building, while contributing to the renaissance of downtown Lancaster City.

Needless to say, I agree that it is nerve wracking coordinating transportation in an unfamiliar city; I am pleased to hear that one of my team was able to arrange transportation to the train station in time. We have used your concerns as a training topic for our front office team. Again, thank you so much for sharing.

I would also like to apologize for the slow restaurant service; we are reviewing your comments with the restaurant team as well.

We take the opinions of our guests very seriously and work very hard to continuously refine our guests’ experience by assessing our own performance and learning from such valuable feedback. Our number one priority is to provide all guests with the highest level of service, comfort and safety. I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience our guests may have experienced at our hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Mark Moosic, General Manager, Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square

Reviewed November 21, 2010

Although my husband and I have visited Lancaster many times, this was the first time we actually stayed at a hotel in the city since we were attending a business convention in the adjoining convention center.
We were able to pull into the 18 story hotel's very small semi-circular drive upon arrival and park briefly for check-in. The bell staff were very friendly, directing us to the check-in and keeping an eye on our luggage while we parked in the parking garage next door. You must get your parking pass from the front desk to avoid paying a $14/day rate. All the first level parking spaces are reserved for hotel guests, and it's an easy, covered walk to the hotel, where stairs or ramp lead back to the lobby. The hotel is located right in the heart of Lancaster in an area where I would not venture out after dark. Nonetheless, we felt very safe coming and going from the garage to the hotel at all times.
The hotel seems brand new and I was highly impressed with the cleanliness of our room on the sixth floor. Due to all the recent media hype, I conducted a thorough bedbug search -- and came up empty on bugs AND dust. Not a speck of dust on any surface in the room! Also, the entire hotel is smoke-free.
The beds were amazing -- feather pillows, feather mattress toppers, feather comforters. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. No noise from the hall or adjoining rooms. It was so dark with the drapes pulled that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Never slept so well in a hotel room before (and I've stayed in hundreds).
The hotel staff was very friendly without exception. Since the main elevators were tied up upon check-in, we were led to the back of the restaurant kitchen to use a freight elevator. While there we were greeted by the restaurant manager and two other employees who were very apologetic about our wait.
We did not eat in the restaurant on premises, but did enjoy a delicious hotel-catered hot buffet-style lunch. Some of our business seminars were held in ballroom meeting areas on the second and third floors of the hotel and it was nice not to have to brave the rain outside to attend them and the convention itself.
The hotel is a very direct 3 - 4 mile drive from all the shopping, dining, and tourist areas of the surrounding Pennsylvania Dutch country. It was very convenient to stay here to attend the conference. However, the next time we return for a personal trip, we will stay outside the city, as we have done before and enjoy the farmland vistas.
What I liked best: Amazingly comfortable, clean room