“Great location for visiting Franklin & Marshall College.”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stayed here one night during a college trip in PA. Nice location within walking distance to restaurants. Close to F&M. We stayed on the club level so we had a nice breakfast included in our rate.
I would recommend this if you are looking for an easy place to stay for one night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed May 16, 2014

As with our visit to this hotel for Zenkaikon 2013, we found the hotel to be absolutely fantastic. The front desk and lobby personnel were extremely helpful, the hotel was spotless, and the breakfast buffet was delicious, and plentiful (there even was an omelet station where they made omelets to order).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I'm torn between a poor review or a positive one here. I believe the gentleman at the front desk's name was Huegh or something along those lines and I apologize for not remembering his name. He was an AMAZING front desk agent who was polite and really trying to help me.

that's about all the positive experience I had with most of the staff. I don't normally like to do this, but I have NEVER had so much of a hassle with the most simple of things.

the hotel itself was clean, and the room was great.

I get it, I checked in on a weekend of a large convention, and the hotel was busy, and I'm certainly not guaranteed an early check in, but instead of just telling me they couldn't check me in due to high occupancy the night before I got a 5 minute speech that was ridiculous and never answered my questions from the lady at the desk. I just don't understand the "policy" of being unable to check someone in early unless 50% of the rooms are ready, I had traveled fora while was tired and was working the con and needed to get my table set up and showered. The desk agent sounded like she was reading off a piece of paper in front of her and did not care. Again this is not about trying to check in early, this is about the service I received, I have never at any other hotel property had that much of an issue just be honest with the person at the desk, I finally got that from Huegh who simply said they were very busy and rooms were not ready as early as they wanted but he'd inform as soon as he could to get me into my room. Which is all I was asking for.

Then the whole weekend the room next to use was smoking and I told the desk twice and both times I got a "we have to wait till everyone checks out to do anything." It was the worst thing to deal with when trying to sleep.

Now 2 days after I check out I check my bank account and there is the pending charges I expected to see as well as a full credited amount for my entire stay. I called the hotel to tell them and ask why I was being refunded completely, and I can't get an answer and have been transferred to accounting, the desk, and at least one other person who are all telling me the same run around speech.

It just seems no one at this hotel actually wants to fix any issues. Now my bank account is messed up and I have to go and try to straighten this out. I have never had such an issue. No other hotel has ever been an issue financially, except this one, and its a huge inconvenience.

The housekeeping staff was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING polite and I couldn't have asked for anything better from them.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Amber S
Adam S, Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your experience and I would like to follow up with you via phone. Please call the hotel at 717-239-1600 and ask for Adam. Thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Amidst the row houses and historic buildings, the Marriott Lancaster is an impressive structure in its own right. The 19-story building towers over Lancaster, and, at the same time, blends in with the surroundings. The entrance preserves the historic shell of an earlier generation, and then the main hotel emerges in the backdrop.

I received an enthusiastic greeting from the front desk associate. In fact, the check-in experience was so welcoming that one would think that the associate has a significant financial stake in the hotel. He recognized my platinum status and offered the welcome gift. He proactively apologized that the concierge lounge is not open on the weekends, and without missing a beat, handed over two breakfast coupons. Finally, he was pleased to inform me that they had upgraded me to corner room. While I’ve received similar benefits at other Marriott properties, the associated delivered the information in an upbeat, amiable manner which made me feel like the hotel’s VIP.

Upon reaching the room, my wife noticed that there was a dirty glass at the doorstep. The key didn’t work, and she returned to the front desk. The associate awarded us a different corner room and offered that if we weren’t satisfied with the view, we could change again. Minutes after settling into the new room, another hotel associate stopped by to check on us. It was evident that this hotel takes pride in a superior customer experience, and I haven’t encountered this level of follow-up at five-star hotels.

The room would easily fall into the top quartile of Marriott hotels and not just because it was a corner suite. The standard Marriott ensemble is in place – flat screen TV, large work space, white comforter and sheets, speaker phone, and adjustable reading lamps. The bathroom offers generous counter space. The towels are soft, fluffy, and plentiful. The shower temperature and pressure were just right. And the lineup of bathroom products was in place. The room décor was bright but not overbearing. There were a few signs of wear. Specifically, one of the walls showed extensive scratch marks. It looked like someone had taken a fine object and exerted frustration on the unassuming post. But this isn’t a functional or cleanliness issue – just evidence of use. The selling points for the corner room are greater ambient light and greater space. Regarding the former, there are windows on two sides which usher in a wave of natural light. Regarding the latter, there room is about 15% larger.

Outside the room, the leisure spaces are excellent. The fitness center seemed right for the hotel’s size, and the equipment was up-to-date. I was pleased to see sanitary wipes, a water station, and even fruit. My breakfast coupon gave me unrestricted access to the buffet. There were enough options to satisfy just about anyone’s taste – cereal, oatmeal, fruit, eggs, waffles, potatoes, and meats. There was also a made-to-order omelet station. The dinner menu was more limited than I expected. There were small plates and $32 entrees but nothing in between. If you’re looking for a burger or sandwich, the bar or room service are your best bets. And on the plus side, you can still get late night room service. I ordered a burger after 10pm.

Finally, parking is easy. A walkway connects the hotel to the parking garage. It’s covered but not enclosed. In essence, you won’t get wet, but you will feel the outdoor air. Self-parking costs $18. My rate did include parking, so take a look at the package options when you book.

In summary, the Marriott Lancaster offers modern amenities in an historic setting. If you’re looking to be near Penn Square and the town highlights, you’ll be pleased with the location. And you’ll be even more pleased with the hotel’s accommodations and service.

Pros:
• Superior customer experience not encountered at even five-star hotels
• Room in top quartile of Marriott properties
• Corner suite offers greater space and greater light
• Breakfast options enough to satisfy anyone’s taste

Cons:
• Few signs of wear in the room
• Limited dinner menu at restaurant

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and usher in a wave of natural light.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scl44
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Nice hotel. My room was clean and the lady who checked me in was nice. You have to pay for parking so keep that in mind, unless you have AAA. I had AAA so I didn't have to pay for parking when I selected the AAA package. My only complaint is I wish they had a room with extra Whirlpools for adults only. The one in the pool room is a joke and really small and if there are kids around (as in my case) it is not a relaxing environment at all.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vince M
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed here for business. My room was clean and well laid out. Loved the small refrigerator. The staff was very nice. The restaurant and bar was very nice. Wifi was not free but worked well. Several restaurants and bars close by. The Lancaster Central Market across the street was a great place to shop for souvenirs and grab something to eat.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank txbellgal
Michelle R, Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful city and that you got the chance to spend some time at Central Market. As you may know, Central Market is the oldest, continuously-operated farmers' market in the United States and we are blessed to have this gem located just a stone's throw away from our front entrance. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Just stayed here one night but room was very clean and comfortable. The room was large enough for two people not to be crowded. The linens were clean and comfortable as was the mattress. The lighting was conducive to getting some work done. We also used the restaurant and were very happy with the breakfast buffet on Saturday morning. Check out was easy. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business