“Modern amenities in historic setting”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Santiago, Chile
“Modern amenities in historic setting”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Amidst the row houses and historic buildings, the Marriott Lancaster is an impressive structure in its own right. The 19-story building towers over Lancaster, and, at the same time, blends in with the surroundings. The entrance preserves the historic shell of an earlier generation, and then the main hotel emerges in the backdrop.

I received an enthusiastic greeting from the front desk associate. In fact, the check-in experience was so welcoming that one would think that the associate has a significant financial stake in the hotel. He recognized my platinum status and offered the welcome gift. He proactively apologized that the concierge lounge is not open on the weekends, and without missing a beat, handed over two breakfast coupons. Finally, he was pleased to inform me that they had upgraded me to corner room. While I’ve received similar benefits at other Marriott properties, the associated delivered the information in an upbeat, amiable manner which made me feel like the hotel’s VIP.

Upon reaching the room, my wife noticed that there was a dirty glass at the doorstep. The key didn’t work, and she returned to the front desk. The associate awarded us a different corner room and offered that if we weren’t satisfied with the view, we could change again. Minutes after settling into the new room, another hotel associate stopped by to check on us. It was evident that this hotel takes pride in a superior customer experience, and I haven’t encountered this level of follow-up at five-star hotels.

The room would easily fall into the top quartile of Marriott hotels and not just because it was a corner suite. The standard Marriott ensemble is in place – flat screen TV, large work space, white comforter and sheets, speaker phone, and adjustable reading lamps. The bathroom offers generous counter space. The towels are soft, fluffy, and plentiful. The shower temperature and pressure were just right. And the lineup of bathroom products was in place. The room décor was bright but not overbearing. There were a few signs of wear. Specifically, one of the walls showed extensive scratch marks. It looked like someone had taken a fine object and exerted frustration on the unassuming post. But this isn’t a functional or cleanliness issue – just evidence of use. The selling points for the corner room are greater ambient light and greater space. Regarding the former, there are windows on two sides which usher in a wave of natural light. Regarding the latter, there room is about 15% larger.

Outside the room, the leisure spaces are excellent. The fitness center seemed right for the hotel’s size, and the equipment was up-to-date. I was pleased to see sanitary wipes, a water station, and even fruit. My breakfast coupon gave me unrestricted access to the buffet. There were enough options to satisfy just about anyone’s taste – cereal, oatmeal, fruit, eggs, waffles, potatoes, and meats. There was also a made-to-order omelet station. The dinner menu was more limited than I expected. There were small plates and $32 entrees but nothing in between. If you’re looking for a burger or sandwich, the bar or room service are your best bets. And on the plus side, you can still get late night room service. I ordered a burger after 10pm.

Finally, parking is easy. A walkway connects the hotel to the parking garage. It’s covered but not enclosed. In essence, you won’t get wet, but you will feel the outdoor air. Self-parking costs $18. My rate did include parking, so take a look at the package options when you book.

In summary, the Marriott Lancaster offers modern amenities in an historic setting. If you’re looking to be near Penn Square and the town highlights, you’ll be pleased with the location. And you’ll be even more pleased with the hotel’s accommodations and service.

Pros:
• Superior customer experience not encountered at even five-star hotels
• Room in top quartile of Marriott properties
• Corner suite offers greater space and greater light
• Breakfast options enough to satisfy anyone’s taste

Cons:
• Few signs of wear in the room
• Limited dinner menu at restaurant

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and usher in a wave of natural light.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scl44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Nice hotel. My room was clean and the lady who checked me in was nice. You have to pay for parking so keep that in mind, unless you have AAA. I had AAA so I didn't have to pay for parking when I selected the AAA package. My only complaint is I wish they had a room with extra Whirlpools for adults only. The one in the pool room is a joke and really small and if there are kids around (as in my case) it is not a relaxing environment at all.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vince M
Garland, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business. My room was clean and well laid out. Loved the small refrigerator. The staff was very nice. The restaurant and bar was very nice. Wifi was not free but worked well. Several restaurants and bars close by. The Lancaster Central Market across the street was a great place to shop for souvenirs and grab something to eat.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank txbellgal
Michelle R, Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful city and that you got the chance to spend some time at Central Market. As you may know, Central Market is the oldest, continuously-operated farmers' market in the United States and we are blessed to have this gem located just a stone's throw away from our front entrance. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!
Hanover, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Just stayed here one night but room was very clean and comfortable. The room was large enough for two people not to be crowded. The linens were clean and comfortable as was the mattress. The lighting was conducive to getting some work done. We also used the restaurant and were very happy with the breakfast buffet on Saturday morning. Check out was easy. Couldn't ask for more.

New Jersey
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My son booked this hotel as his first solo trip to attend a conference. I was concerned that they would not be helpful to a college student on his own but from the time he spoke with the reservation agent until the time he checked out, everything was very nicely done. He got a conference rate so the hotel was very reasonably priced, as well as the parking. The self parking is a few minutes walk. The valet was very helpful in explaining where he should go to park and the difference. Check in was very polite and nice and helpful. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. There are a lot of small cafes and restaurants within easy walking distance. The hotel provided free coffee in the mornings but I am not sure if this was part of the conference or not, but it was much appreciated. He did not wind up eating at the hotel this trip but definitely would do so next time. When he checked out he lost the invoice so when we requested a new one to be emailed to us, they replied very quickly. I sent an email request to clarify the invoice and they replied immediately. Overall very pleased with this hotel.

Oberlin, Ohio
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Marriott. We were there for a conference so price was very reasonable and parking was discounted. We did not eat at the hotel. The hotel is within waling distance of many restaurants and interesting historical sites. Unfortunately we were there on a Sunday and Monday when most shops were closed and many historical sites didn't open for tours until April. But still, the hotel is quite beautiful having incorporated the outside walls of a former department store and a historical home. As an added historical attraction, the home of Thaddeus Stevens and Lydia Hamilton Smith is next to the hotel/convention site - renovation of the property currently on hold.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

If you like conventions and families and lots of amateur dancers and people talking about religion at you in the elevator - hurry on over. Come pay 18.00 to self park only about two city blocks from the entrance or pay 31.00 per night for valet service and then you'll have a nice spot near the hotel bridge. The room is beautiful. The view is spectacular. But there are not fans or heat lamps in the bathroom where the hot and cold labels are worn off. WiFi is only a mere extra couple of dollars 14.95 per night - for your convenience. Everything is additional. How nice. The staff seem more concerned about their conferences and families travel for dance competitions and folks there to see whatever speaker is in the theater. I liked my room. I just wish I didn't have to hear children running up and down the hallways at all hours of the day and night - or riding the elevators with no parental chaperones. I've stayed here now and Lancaster Arts and Hilton Garden. The Hilton was the nicest but requires driving -taxi service is deplorable in Lancaster. Lancaster Arts has thin walls and a little bit of a walk from the town center - and pretentious in its way - but it has Free WiFI, Free Parking, Free Buffet and heat lamps/fans in the bathroom. I didn't hear any children running anywhere or conventioners or whatever you'd like to call them. So I think next trip I know where I'll be staying. If you like noise and to be charged for every last blip, then stay at the Marriott. Although the view - spectacular. So sad. It has such potential.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from any groups that might be staying in the hotel. Guests are very friend...
Green Features: They have many little signs asking you to re-use towels. I don't re-use towels. I'm sorry if I cost them the extra money to wash clean towels for the two nights I stayed, but they can just take it off my parking bill.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Richard S
Michelle R, Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square during your recent trip to our historic city. We sincerely appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay.

We are indeed fortunate to be able to offer our guests some of the most spectacular views of Lancaster City and are happy to hear you enjoyed them!

Our entire team is constantly striving to improve our guests’ experience and we welcome the opportunity to address any concerns directly. I can be reached at 717-239-1600.

Kind Regards,