“expensive but nice”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed September 19, 2013

There aren't many affordable places in Lancaster City Center. This hotel is certainly convenient (the tourist Central Market is across the street).
The place is very clean, the staff friendly (although NONE of the housekeeping folks I found could speak ANY English at ALL - some signs worked to get towels and coffee), the whoopie pies at registration (in a variety of flavors) welcome -but

IT is freaking expensive - and even if you have a room you are paying for parking.
So - if you are used to NYC prices - this is fine. If you were hoping for middle America costs (heck! Reno Sands is sometimes $25) you will have some sticker shock.

Advice to the hotel - include parking with the room- come on! Also - invest in some simple language classes for your staff - coffee, towels, clean, check out, etc - and simple responses....

REALLY nice staff, though!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tressed

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I know Lancaster quite well as I grew up in this area and was quite pleased with the caliber of this Marriott. It is centrally located so guests can enjoy historical sites such as the oldest known city market (Central Market, which is a short walk from the hotel), There is also the Amish country, and many quaint towns within a days drive such Strausburg, Lititz and Hershey, which are steeped in history and charm to explore. I stayed at the hotel while attending a wedding reception held there. The ballroom was quite lovely, and I'd give high marks for the array of appetizers which were served. The only complaint with the food is that I had pre ordered steak for dinner and no one asked me how I liked it cooked prior to serving it so I ended up with a well done, dry steak when I would have preferred medium rare. I have eaten in their restaurant previously and enjoy the food but feel most of it is overpriced for the location. The customer service was also very good as all the staff were friendly, helpful and had pleasing personalities verses just the nice smile and meet and greet scenerio. I enjoyed the room as it was quite comfortable, very clean and extremely quiet. I had a room with two double beds and had a very restrful night. (I didn't find the beds too firm as some other guests mentioned. ( if I had a soft mattrress I would likely think it was of inferior quality or just plain old.). Overall, I would give the hotel a rating of nine and witll definately stay there again on return trips to Lancaster.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank OPTraveler100
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We only stayed here one night, but this hotel was clean, modern, and well maintained. The hotel rooms were spotless. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The one and only draw back of this hotel is the parking. You have to park in the city owned lot which costs $15 a night. The lot is connected to the hotel by a bridge so that it is convenient for hotel guests, but the cost is the issue. Other than that I have to say it was definitely an excellent stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Erin M
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is the best hotel in town and perfectly located. The spacious rooms appointed to a high standard and represented good value if you better the rack rate. Parking costs an extra $15 per day or more for valet. Unfortunately wifi is not free either, a shame in this day and age. The restaurant serves excellent meals, again not at economy rates. We were the only diners there at 7pm on a Friday.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights while in town on business. This is a great location in downtown Lancaster. Many restaurants within walking distance as well as Central Market (recently voted one of the Top 10 local markets in the country. Keep in mind they are only open on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday). I did have a rental car and the daily rate to valet park was something around $35/day; the conference I was in for had a negotiated rate of $5/day in the self-park which is located about a block away although it does connect to the hotel). I chose to self-park.

The hotel itself was clean and well kept. The lobby is very large and inviting and often there were families and groups lounging in this area. The check-in was very smooth. I was in Room 1128 located just off the elevator lobby area (which I prefer). I never heard any noise while in my room. The room itself is very standard although this room may have been handicap accessible as the bathroom was extra large with handrails in the shower area. The only issue I would have with the bathroom is the lighting is extremely low (except for the actual tub/shower which had it's own light).

The room did have a single serve coffee maker as well as fridge. The beds were comfortable and there were enough pillows available. They do offer room service although I did not use this service.

I did not eat on site (although I did get take out for the chinese restaurant located at 31 N. Queen Street (something Express) and it was excellent. Never felt unsafe although there were many "unsavories" in the area. I typically will walk a 2-3 block area to see what is nearby the hotel and only do so during daylight hours as was the case in Lancaster. Was never approached by panhandlers, etc.; again, I probably come across as a local and not approachable.

I would definitely stay here again should I ever be back in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank hvnfuninmn10
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I enjoyed 5 nights at this hotel with my husband and two young daughters (age 4 & 5). The pool area is lovely, the lobby is beautiful and rooms were very clean and included a little mini fridge. This hotel was a great value for what we paid and the ammenities offered. BUT.... beware of this neighborhood if you are traveling with children. We encountered many, many beggers. I have traveled with my children in and out of NYC and Philadelphia countless times and have never had the creepy feeling and experience we had in downtown Lancaster. (I work in downtown Newark, NJ so I am not some country bumpkin). Homeless people sleeping in the ATM outside and I was approached by several people pan handling when I was walking for coffee at 9am with my 5 year old. It was very uncomfortable. I would not stay in downtown again with my family I would opt for a hotel out near the parks. It is apparent that they are trying to create a hip downtown artsy vibe they are just not there yet if you are bringing children, I would stay again with just my husband and enjoy the hotel and a few of the area shops but this is not a "family" destination.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kmabutterfly
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Great location, beautiful hotel, but the pipes near our room were like a rattlesnake periodically during the night. Would have asked to move if I was by myself but kids were already settled & sleeping so had to suffer through it. I hate to ding them so much for one thing, but a good night's sleep is the main criteria for me...

• Stayed: August 2013