“Beautiful hotel BUT... sketchy neighborhood!!”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
“Beautiful hotel BUT... sketchy neighborhood!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I enjoyed 5 nights at this hotel with my husband and two young daughters (age 4 & 5). The pool area is lovely, the lobby is beautiful and rooms were very clean and included a little mini fridge. This hotel was a great value for what we paid and the ammenities offered. BUT.... beware of this neighborhood if you are traveling with children. We encountered many, many beggers. I have traveled with my children in and out of NYC and Philadelphia countless times and have never had the creepy feeling and experience we had in downtown Lancaster. (I work in downtown Newark, NJ so I am not some country bumpkin). Homeless people sleeping in the ATM outside and I was approached by several people pan handling when I was walking for coffee at 9am with my 5 year old. It was very uncomfortable. I would not stay in downtown again with my family I would opt for a hotel out near the parks. It is apparent that they are trying to create a hip downtown artsy vibe they are just not there yet if you are bringing children, I would stay again with just my husband and enjoy the hotel and a few of the area shops but this is not a "family" destination.

2 Thank Kmabutterfly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Great location, beautiful hotel, but the pipes near our room were like a rattlesnake periodically during the night. Would have asked to move if I was by myself but kids were already settled & sleeping so had to suffer through it. I hate to ding them so much for one thing, but a good night's sleep is the main criteria for me...

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jtdidden
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

My family stayed at the Marriott at Penn Square for our mini-getaway this week. The hotel is beautiful, and combines historical charm with modern amenities. We stayed in a corner room on the 16th floor, which had "executive double beds". Sadly, executive double apparently means extremely firm, narrow beds that my 9 and 13 year olds even felt too-close-for-comfort in. My husband ended up sleeping sitting up in the chair in the room! Realistically, the only people these beds are suitable for are those traveling alone, or not needing to share the bed- the rooms are plenty big, so the beds should be replaced!
Unfortunately on our first night (of two), my daughters got into bed only to feel that the sheets were grainy and sandy. We reported the condition to "at your service", and they informed the manager, who comped us breakfast the next morning and sent a housekeeper up to our room (she arrived with towels 1/2 hour later, but that was quickly straightened out).
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and responsive (especially Sam on the omelette station in the restaurant), and overall we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Lancaster itself is a city that seems in flux- super cool, hip artists community with great galleries and shops, but peppered in are what seem to be some downtrodden, down on their luck folks.

1 Thank pbjimmed
Peoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

As others have said this is one of those grand old downtown hotels with a large lobby and lots of staff, most of whom were helpful. The hotel is in good condition and everything worked in our room. Not sure why all the hotels now have HD LCD TVs and yet the feed is analog??? From my experience you pay for everything, parking, internet, breakfast at this type of hotel. My Google directions said south on Prince and left on Mifflin but, maybe I got this wrong, but I could not make a left since Mifflin was one way the other way! Anyway made a left on the next street, Vine and then left on Queen, the hotel is at King and Queen. There are lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. However, finding places for breakfast can sometimes be challenging. Would recommend Rachel's Cafe which is just a few blocks up on Queen, easy walk and a nice place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ewnaly
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Well located hotel, great helpfull staff. Rooms are nice, amenities decent.
We had the corner room which does give you more space. They have just one restaurant in the hotel with a very small selective menu which does close by 10 pm on weekdays, so if you running late you have to go for room service.

1 Thank AshishV1963
delaware county, pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here with a Travelzoo offer and in the end it was a great deal! When I bought the voucher, I had to buy the slightly more expensive voucher for the corner room because the $99 deal was sold out for the night I had chosen. But having a 3 yr old, it ended up being a great idea because the corner room offered more room and a great view, plus I didn't feel like we were disturbing others when she got a little rambunctious. The room was clean and spacious with 2 comfy beds. We did run out of toilet paper without extra supply by the next morning. We used the pool on the 5th floor which was nice. Check-in and check-out were super quick. My husband went down to the bar in the evening and said it was pretty full for a Sunday night. Parking was included in the voucher. We walked about a block or two away in the evening to grab dinner. There is a Rite-Aid very close by and several restaurants to choose from. Overall, it was great deal at a very nice place in a good location of downtown Lancaster (our first time from Philly!) Would do it again!

Room Tip: Corner room offers more space and windows. I would choose this type room again.