“First stay at this Marriott property”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were recently at the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square in Lancaster Pennsylvania were we stayed while we vended at the Zenkaikon Anime Convention. The hotel is beautiful and the staff were absolutely fantastic. In addition, there is an attached parking garage and many, many resturaunts within walking distance.

We hope to be back there next year.

1  Thank Edward T
There are newer reviews for Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here overnight with another couple. Beautiful grand hotel, with great historic accents. Rooms were clean and comfortable, and relaxing in the pool and jaccuzzi area was a great way to end the night.

The hotel is located in the best part of town, where small shops and great restaurants are just steps away. An Irish Pub named Annie Bailey's is a short walk, and has wonderful food and atmosphere.

Would definitley return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeanetteP86
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The hotel is beautiful inside and out. As my memory serves, the lobby entrance has a grand, sweeping feel to it. They took good care of us, too. The man at the front desk comped us free parking in their deck for the weekend just because he and I both had unique last names. I didn't even ask for it -- he just hooked me up. There were free whoopie pies (a Lancaster treat) in a basket at the desk. That was a nice touch. Finally, the price was right. We stayed in the hotel over the weekend leading up to New Years 2013. The room cost about $130 per night, which we thought was decent for holiday.

The room itself was fine. We saw our friends' rooms, too, and they were pretty much like ours. Everyone had a great view and everything we needed was there: a couch, desk, TV, and a big, comfy bed. Our bathrooms were spacious, even though that doesn't matter so much to me. We all spent time in the hot tub and pool, which is something that I hardly ever do, but I was talked into it. It was good as far as those things go, despite the fact that I slipped and fell and slid into the pool. No lifeguard on duty, but that was actually a plus because we had the place to ourselves. Just glad I didn't hurt myself.

Having never been to Lancaster, I was surprised upon arrival to find a much larger city than I'd expected. There was plenty to do, and this hotel was at the center of it all. We had dinner in the nearby Press Room restaurant (bar menu) on Friday night, and spent Saturday morning walking around in a light snow that was falling all around. We explored the indoor market that was practically next door and several of the shops around town. When our friends arrived on Saturday afternoon, we all proceeded to head out to various brew pubs in and around the area. If there are any inconsistencies in my recollections, I'll have to blame it on that.

I'm looking forward to going back to Lancaster. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank neurohr-pierpaoli
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Good hotel plenty of things to do as well as eat around town. parking is really the only problem. They have a parking garage but is usually filled so had to park some where else. would recommend and would also stay again.

1  Thank Jcbrocks
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in Feb 2013. It was very nice and the room and staff were great. Only problem i had was with the elevators. One was not working and it made the use of them very difficult. I had to wait 30+ min on Sat morning to get an elevator because everyone one that stopped was full. We finally used the stairs. Breakfast was good tho!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Krystine H
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Chain hotels can be so inconsistent. Some good, some bad, mostly average. This property falls into the above average category.
I was a little put off by the arrival driveway. Blink and you'll miss it. But the friendly bellman and pleasant front desk staff made me forget that tiny driveway.
The room was spacious, clean and well kept. I did have a problem with the climate control. Even when I put the thermostat on Cool 64, the room was always 71 and made it a bit hard for me to sleep.
The area had many shops and restaurants in the surrounding area. When I went out in the early morning there a few homeless milling around, asking for money, but I didn't feel unsafe.
I did stop in the lobby bar for a drink and a snack. The menu looked imaginative, but the preparation was mediocre. Kettle Chips were not very crisp and Carrot Cake was a bit dry. The servers were excellent, even though they appeared under staffed for a busy Saturday night.
Gym had new equipment and was on the large side. The fruit basket only had a bruised apple in it and there was only one towel left. I would have liked something to wipe down the equipment with as well.
Lastly, the elevators are the slowest I have ever encountered. If the hotel is sold out, expected to wait at least five minutes for an elevator that is not to full to stop for you or just take the stairs. What were they thinking with only three cars for this large a property?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank oversold_plus_2
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stay in Marriotts about sixty nights a year, this one is quite nice. The staff was very attentive. The location is convenient to the surrounding area, the attached parking garage was a little difficult to find at first.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms (x36) per floor. While they are an upgrade, the layout makes for difficult sl...
1  Thank William M