“GREAT hotel RUDE bartender”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Lancaster Marriott Penn is in the heart of downtown lancaster, a good distance from the amish, so if your looking to be close to the Amish choose elsewhere, this is not the hotel for you, HOWEVER, this is a well appointed city hotel, check-in was smooth and they did have a gorgeous lobby, they accomodated our rooms to be close another couple of friends who were staying on another floor, good job front desk!!!! the valet was friendly and knowledgeable to the local area and advised us to eat a quick lunch at anne bailey's irish pub, which was very good and a block away. The room was superb, bedding was like sleeping on a cloud, SKIMPED on ammenities, conditioner but no shampoo, no soap, no body lotion, etc. but i did have my own......valet and buffet breakfast was included in our rate, breakfast was superb as was the wait staff....we went to the bar and here was were they fell SHORT, very SHORT...the bartender aske me what i wanted to drink, I said hi how are you...he said "ur drink???" wow that was a nice greeting??? i told him four tap beers please -- he said 19.00 for a round of four tap beer and waited me to lay money on the bar prior to proceeding with my order??? so i laid 26.00 on the bar, he took the entire 26.00 and walked away and brought my 4 tap beers, i didnt want to fight over the 7.00 but i thought that was a STEEP TIP and very bold of him to take a tip ON HIS OWN, I kept quite because it wasnt worth argueing about 7.00 -- it get's worse....we were talking amongst ourselves in a group and the bartender began to rudely interject his opinion into our conversation, he clearly woke up on the wrong side of the bed, he was almost egging on a fight with our male travel partners. It was like something I have never seen before, I really thought we were on video like it was a joke or something. I honestly feel the bartender should not be working at such a classly hotel! The hotel was superb in every aspect other than the toiletries in the room and the bartender who's attitude was clearly in the toilet! Won't return due to dispectful rude bartender.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Coco-lette-NJ

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott at Penn Square last two weekends ago for my best friend's wedding at Lauxmount Farms in Wrightsville, PA. I didn't check out the hotel's website prior to checking in, because I made my reservation over the phone (since my friend had a room block for her wedding guests).

We were expecting a small little hotel in downtown Lancaster. To our surprise, the Marriott is a beautiful building located in the heart of Lancaster. Our very spacious room was on the 16th floor, with a view of the roof (not necessarily complaining). The pool is located on the 5th floor. We went for a late night swim and was glad to have the pool all to ourselves. The water was a little cold, but there was a hot tub to warm you right up.

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance to satisfy your hunger.

My only complaints are, the room is located next to the elevator bank. This usually doesn't bother me, but I think the person staying next to us is on a college sports team. We could hear a lot of the guy's conversation with his friends throughout the night. On Sunday morning (maybe 7 AM), a family across the hall was in the process of checking out and allowed their toddler run up and down the hall screaming for about 20 minutes. On top of that, the adults were talking really loud about how early it is during the day (exactly my point!). After about 30 minutes, they finally jumped onto the elevator and left. If I wasn't partying it up at my friend's wedding the night before, I may have been up at 7 AM on Sunday, but it was a little annoying that the adults didn't have more common sense.

Despite these inconveniences, I would recommend that you check out this hotel the next time you are in Lancaster. You may want to avoid rooms near the elevator banks, though.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the elevators, unless you are okay with hearing others' conversations.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tfivecs
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Many people go to Lancaster Pennsylvania for the "old country feeling" but we truly enjoyed the modern Lancaster Marriot at Penn Station because it was in Downtown Lancaster where the city is beautiful and historic with a lot of the 'brick look', and surrounded by nice shops. We drove out and ventured the 'countryside' where the antique shops and outlets are but I liked coming back to a lively hotel!
The Front Desk staff was great as was the rest of the service in the hotel. The only drawback is that there isn't any Room Service after 12 Midnight.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room that was great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gimena B
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at the Lancaster Marriott for three days because it is in the center of downtown Lancaster and I could walk to my meetings. I had a room on a high floor and the view was spectacular, but I felt that the Marriott skimps on amenities. There was no skin moisturizer in the bathroom—just shampoo and conditioner—on two of the three days I was there and the in-room coffee machine had only one package of undecaffeinated coffee (my husband came with me on one of those three days and we had to share our coffee) every day, and you have to pay for parking ($16 a day). I also think the Marriott should stock at least one free bottle of spring water in the empty mini fridge because the tap water never gets colder than tepid. That said, the food in the restaurant is sophisticated and very well prepared and the bar is elegant and the service at both is polished.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Staff gets 10 stars out of 5, really nice folks, sink had toothpaste and hair in it when we checked in. Not good, and you wonder what less visible things are dirty. We've stayed in a ton of Marriotts and this is, other than that, not a bad one ambience wise, although the rooms are New York sized

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clemmie_11
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Was there on business, nice rooms, nice people.....Quiet rooms for being right on the square,that was a definite plus. Nice that parking garage was attached. Meeting rooms were nice, great place for meetings and convention.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MaryBethWalls
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I loved my stay in this hotel.. The rooms were very very clean and the perfect location for shops.. It was a wonderful experience in lancaster i really love it. - and i recomend everyone to stay in this hotel

• Stayed: January 2012