“Home of PA's only president”
Review of Wheatland

Wheatland
Ranked #5 of 77 things to do in Lancaster
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Costumed guides conduct tours of the historic mansion of the 15th President of the United States, James Buchanan.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Having lived in the region for more than 12 years, we finally had the chance to visit Wheatland, the home of 15th President James Buchanan. The hour-long tour was well worth the $10 admission price, and the content was very, very interesting. I would recommend, that if the weather is nice, to stroll around the grounds. The tour doesn't include seeing the home from the front entrance which is quite grand. For older people or those with physical limitations, definitely take advantage when the guide tells you you can ask for a chair. Even more interesting than President Buchanan is his niece, Harriet, who made history in her own right.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

The visitor center was great, didn't have time to view the 10 minute film on Buchanan's presidency, I recommend you arrive early enough to see it. The grounds are lovely and the tour guide was top rate - I think we had the director of the museum. There were about 10 in our tour and it lasted almost 90 minutes. I was delighted to see the actual desk Buchanan used in the White House, the family had recently donated it to the museum. Also there is a signed portrait of Queen Victoria, signed by her. Learned a lot and never was bored. Not sure kids would be so interested, maybe 15 and up? I don't think it is ADA accessible for disabled or those needing assistance, at least not the second floor of the house, but I didn't ask. There is no restuarant but a little snack stand where you can buy chips or cookies in the visitor center - don't go hungry.

1  Thank burbankgirl
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Walking in the door, I knew nothing about this president. Learning about him on the tour was very interesting. Even my 12 yr old enjoyed it. Very glad we stopped for a visit

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The new visitor's center here at Wheatland (home of President James Buchanan) is really the HQ of the Historical Society. Look up LancasterHistory.org There is a wonderful museum with stunning antiques, quilts, and other material culture. The library is top-notch and the archivists will help you find what you need. Many of their historical documents are online. I especially like the gift shop, which has lovely and unique items. And, of course, go to Wheatland!!!

1  Thank Imabizzybee
Reviewed January 7, 2014

A small group of us visited Wheatland for their annual holiday season tour, which - after a short wait in their beautiful new visitors center - was enhanced by a fanciful drama . In just under an hour, we enjoyed a Night-Before-Christmas-themed play that including fun audience participation and wound through the house. This historic home has wonderful period furnishings and was lovingly decorated for Christmas. The performers were all volunteers, letting us know this area has heart and talent. I'm going back in the Spring for a regular guided tour to learn more about the home and grounds.