“Nice hotel for a quick weekend in Lancaster.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Lancaster
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Saddle River, New Jersey
“Nice hotel for a quick weekend in Lancaster.”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed here in a two bedroom suite with family on recent Fall weekend. It was very lovely.....clean, well appointed. It is well run and very accommodating. When booking hotels of this class, my top priority is the cleanliness and location. Homewood in Lancaster exceeded expectations. Would stay again if travels take us to Lancaster, PA.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank That'sMyOpinion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed here 4 nights and found the folks here to be very helpful and accomodating - the food in the morning was kinda so-so but about what you would expect as part of a hotel breakfast - the evening meals were better and they served both beer and wine - which made the food even better.

The only thing I will say about the area and this has NOTHING to do with the hotel is that if you go walking, at least where I went - (I wanted to go up to Clyde Weavers for some great sweet balogna) there are NO sidewalks and the people here are extremely rude honking their horns to make sure you know they are coming, I mean like I can not see em - geesh - anyway it is not a very walking friendly place which is not unusual in the US, maybe that is why we have so many over weight people - if folks walked more, then there would be more sidewalks and maybe a lot fewer medical problems from over weight people. Just a thought for what little it is worth - again this does not reflect on the hotel - but the area really needs to think about this!!!!

Room Tip: ask to stay close to either the front doors (near reception OR straight away from it,) or the BACK d...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank fireman452
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Only problem and complaint I had was right at check-in. They have a relatively late check-in time (4pm). I got there at 4pm and the room still wasn't ready, which kind of messed up our plans. However, once we did get our room at about 4:30pm, everything was great. The 1 bedroom room was very nice, new and clean. Friendly staff and good breakfast. Overall great, but you may not have an opportunity to check in early.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank srcroy75
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I got married 3 weeks ago and used a block of about 15-20 rooms at Homewood Suites and must express the great disappointment of the terrible service that my friends and family received throughout our wedding weekend. After having a perfect wedding, we are still trying to clear up matters with Homewood regarding unauthorized credit card transactions.

I will note that myself and my new husband are in the hospitality industry, so we do have a high expectation level, however we did try to speak to the GM, Jeff prior to our wedding weekend to ensure great service to all our guests, however he blew us off and instead handed off to Anna , a guest service manager, who apparently did not listen to any of our expected concerns. I still shake my head to the horrible service received:

1. Unauthorized Credit Card Transactions – My father’s credit card was charged sums that he never agreed or signed for, in additon to his credit information being given to outside vendors. I find it absolutely outrageous that Homewood Suites engages in charging credit cards without a signed authorization signature. I recommend to all that stay at this hotel to check your credit cards closely that Homewood Suites has not given your credit card information out to charge amounts freely. After highlighting the unauthorized charges to the GM Jeff, he made no effort to do any service recovery efforts for my father.

2. Room Unmade in our Suite for our Wedding Night – When my new husband and I returned to our room after our wedding, we were greeted to an unmade sofa bed taking up our full living room in our suite. Upon checkout I highlighted the unmade room to the front desk agent and I believe later on it was highlighted to the GM, and the response was that to their records, the room had been made up. If this is what they call cleaning a room, I suggest they review their standards.

3. No Room for the Best Man, – Although we made the reservation 4+ months earlier, when he checked in no rooms were left for him, so he was walked to Hilton Garden Inn. When he told the front desk that he got a suite at Homewood because they need 3 beds, he was told that it would be an extra $10 for a rollaway bed per night. Given the trouble that the best man could no longer stay at the same hotel as the groom for support, it would have been a nice gesture of good will (which we now know Hilton does not know what this is) to waive this fee.

4. Lost Welcome Bags – We had prepared a personalized welcome bag for each guest and had been assured by Guest Service Manager, Anna, that it would not be a problem for Homewood Suites to ensure that the bags were placed into each guest room prior to their arrival. Because of the disorganization of moving the Best Man to Hilton Garden Inn, they did not have the 3 bags in his room upon check-in. When we inquired to the front desk manager where they were, he had no idea where they were placed and said they were lost. (Imagine our horror that this is the start to our wedding weekend). After calling the GM, who also expressed bewilderment to the situation, the front desk manager figured out that they must have been put in the wrong room – into a guest room that checked in before the Best Man. After about 15 minutes, we were informed by the front desk manager that he snuck into the other guest’s room and stole out our misplaced welcome bags and hoped that the guests wouldn’t notice. We had to check that the other guests didn’t take anything out of the bags and then deliver them ourselves to Hilton Garden Inn. Additionally, 1 bag was not given to a bridesmaid at Hilton Garden Inn, and we were only given it on Sunday once everyone had checked out. It would have been nice if the staff had been proactive in notifying us that they could not deliver this specific welcome bag, but I suppose that would be asking too much of Hilton hotel staff.

5. Unprofessional Staff – I was told by some of our guests that when they checked into Homewood Suites, the front desk staff audibly said in front of the guests something to the effect that “You better not forget to give these guests their welcome bag or the bride/groom will freak out on you” (In reference to them losing the best man’s welcome bags). I find it absolutely unbelievable that these guests were not trained better in customer service. Granted, we were notably upset about them losing the bags when our first guest checked in and for moving the Best Man away from the rest of the wedding party, but that in no way warrants the staff to make myself or any of my family members look bad in front of the other guests.

6. Staff blatantly lying - We inquired to the Anna, the Guest Service Manager, and Jeff the GM as to the possibility of using a hotel shuttle for our wedding guests. We were told the hotel does not have a shuttle and that we would need to purchase our own. All throughout the wedding weekend there was a shuttle van bearing the hotels name on it just sitting in the hotel driveway. Upon checkout, my dad asked the front desk agent about it and informed her that we were told the hotel does not have a shuttle. She informed my dad that it is for guest use, but needed to be booked in advance. We had been asking the staff named above for several weeks to find a solution to transporting guests, so they all, including the GM, lied to us. My dad later asked GM Jeff about why he lied to us and he all he could say was that the shuttle could not be used for guests who had consumed any alcohol and normally used for business conferences. My dad informed him that there were plenty of times throughout the weekend that we needed the shuttle with the guests’ not consuming alcohol. I find it hard to believe at the same time that our group of 15-20 rooms did not rival the size of many of their business groups and find it upsetting that the hotel could not have been more helpful with this.

Overall, both ourselves and the majority of our guests had an absolute horrible experience at Homewood Suites. We normally go for brands of the Intercontinental, Starwood or Marriott chains, however we took a chance on Hilton this time and it will be the last. I would highly recommend that if you need a place to stay in Lancaster that you try the Marriott at Penn Square (a few of our guests ended up staying there and loved it) or even the Fairfield Inn next to Homewood Suites. At least Marriott has a better sense of customer service and service recovery than Hilton can ever hope to have.

It is sad that when I look back on my wedding experience, that this is one of the lasting memories that I have.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Globetrotter742
LNSHW, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Lancaster, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you and your group experienced during your stay with us. I would love the opportunity to talk to you on the phone or via e-mail to discuss the issues that you hadin greater detail. This way I can fully understand them and make whatever adjustments and corrections we need to in order to provide a better reflection of our property and staff to you, and future guests. I am surprised and was unaware of some of the service issues that you had as I was not informed at the time of check out. Please contact me as soon as you have time so that I may address them. Thank you!
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This hotel was good but it was close to nothing. We also found some black mold in our shower. Also with their happy hour and breakfast they did not have a lot of food for vegetarian's . But overall it was a nice room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank cardtraveler
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Stayed here over two weeks for work. Pleasantly surprised!! The rooms were great and spacious. The staff was fabulously friendly. The breakfast and nightly dinners were a wonderful touch - the food was excellent!! The small indoor pool was a nice way to unwind at night. Will recommend! :-)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank polkadotqueen
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed for three nights and I have to say I was impressed. The rooms were comfortAble, and the staff very helpful n friendly. Breakfast and dinner offered and I have to say the food was actually good! The only negative was the pool room being so hot but the kids enjoyed it! Overall a great experience

• Stayed August 2011