“Made me feel like a queen.”
Review of Checkers Bistro

Checkers Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Checkers Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 569 Restaurants in Lancaster
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Checkers Bistro has an eclectic menu, with American, French and Asian infuenced dishes. We are passionate about Food, Wine, Craft Beers and Liquor. We purchase as many ingredients locally that are in season. Our goal is to deliver a fine dining experience in a friendly and consistent setting. We welcome your feedback through TripAdvisor and will respond to your comments.Live, Love, Eat at Checkers Bistro.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Made me feel like a queen.”
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The service was outstanding. Probably the best we have experienced here in Lancaster, Pa. We got several small plates to share. Amazing food and we were full with 3 small plates to share and each getting a salad.

Levallois-Perret, France
“The line between "earnest" and "trying to hard"”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We're n a midweek getaway with the family to the PA Dutch country and, as I am wont to do, I scoped out a few potential places to eat. Checkers was on the list thanks to the many TripAdvisor comments.

We arrived a little past 8 on a Wednesday night and were seated in the "upstairs" dining room. The space itself is nice save for the bizarre stuccoed ceiling that looks a little like someone went a little nuts with butter cream icing.

We started with wine and a cocktail. There is a good selection of wine by the glass, and I was pleased to see some traditional cocktails like Sazeracs and Negronis on the menu. I had a "Cucumber Mojito", which is sort of like what it sounds except that it has gin. Very good.

We ate small portions on the evening. For a starter we had ravioli in a pesto sauce that was served in a bowl in such quantity that it looked more like a pesto soup. For dinner we chose two of the small plates. My wife had Peking duck tacos. I had Tuna Carpaccio.

I should qualify my remarks by saying that all three dishes were good. There were no critical faults. Nevertheless each of the dishes felt overdone in one sense or another. Cheese ravioli with a tidy little pesto sauce is intrinsically delicious, yet they were drenched in pesto and there was a weird tomato compote on top, which may have been a garnish but was in such quantity that it was hard to tell.

The duck taco was in a crispy shell that was also flaky. The meat was well spiced and there was a guacamole that I think had some wasabi in it. Again: interesting dish, but too much going on. Wat good is it having shredded duck meat (which is one if the most underrated foods on the planet) when you can't taste it?

The tuna carpaccio was loaded with herbs and capers (small bottled ones, disappointingly, not the big caper berries) such that it was difficult to taste the tuna.

The one thing that didn't fail was the crème brûlée for dessert. It was a very good representation. The custard was nice.

The last thing that ended up being a little over the top was the check. The price you pay at Checkers, IMO, didn't match the quality of the food I ate. It was good. But it wasn't great.

(To the staff's credit, the service was good. Timing was appropriate and our server was knowledgable.)

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank jddphd
“Always good”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Nice restaurant. Food is always very good. Always enjoy whatever I eat here. I thought they were closed to change their location, so I haven't been lately! I was wrong! Must always stop the night they are closed!! Ready to go back soon.

Visited November 2011
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Really Classy”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

One of my favorites in Lancaster, this restaurant has atmopshere, great service and wonderful food. They wrap the filet in peppered bacon - amazing!

Visited November 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
“Excellent in every way. Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Not only is the food excellent the service is excellent as well. Our waitress Emilly was kind and attentive. Our dinner was outstanding from starters to dessert Great wine list Cozy atmosphere. In my opinion it's the best restaurant in Lancaster. Looking forward to dining here again.