“Make your own fun”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lakeville
Rochester, New York
“Make your own fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to go to Cove Haven for 5 nights about a week ago. I think 5 nights was a bit long for this season at Cove Haven. However, the stay was still very nice. The rooms were not as out of date as people in the reviews had said. We stayed in a Cove Harbour Suite which had a split level room with a large bathroom that (of course) had the heart shaped Jacuzzi. The ceiling had lights that came through like little stars and twinkled. You could dim them along with lights in the bathroom. The bathroom was very clean which I was happy about because I am a clean freak! There was also a small refrigerator with a little icebox in it that actually kept our ice frozen. The round shaped bed was fun and very comfortable unlike what reviews I read had said. So we were pleasantly surprised.

As soon as we got there a man that we later found out was a waiter helped us carry our bags to our room. So nice! I wish I knew his name! He was one of the adult waiters, not younger 20 somethings.

As for activities, the weekend was much better in terms of entertainment. Friday was a buffet that my boyfriend and I thought was really good! I wished every night was a buffet. Then the "Pocono Tonight Show Band" played and they were AWESOME! When they started my boyfriend and I were blown away by how good they were. They were super entertaining and the lead singer was great. She made us feel comfortable dancing and having fun.

Saturday was also great. They had the Bridesmaids perform in a much larger building than the night before so it was nice to see a different venue. They were also entertaining and it was fun. Both Friday and Saturday there were comedy shows as well which were a ton of fun. On Friday they hosted RC Smith and we were cracking up!

Sunday was also great. The same band from Friday came up again but they did "Rock-a-Oke" which is basically Kareoke with a live band but the lead singer helped a couple people along. Not many people were there so it was a little awkward.

Monday-Wednesday were a little more boring at night. The entertainment wasn't as good and they just had them in the bar area of the restaurant so there wasn't a fun venue. I can tell that weekdays are much less popular in this season.

Drinks are not included so be prepared for that. I love sangrias and they had 4 or 5 different kinds which was awesome but they were $9! My boyfriend got $5 beers. Still pricey. Lunch is also not included. That's a little pricey too.

The sports palace was a lot of fun. They have a ton of stuff to do in there. Raquetball, tennis, iceskating, arcade, minigolf, ping pong and pool. We spent most days in there competing with each other. The worker in there was kind of grumpy but we didn't let it effect the time we had.

Everyone is really nice there overall. We loved our server Mr. Carrol (I cant remember his first name). Also, the hostess in the dining room was great. There were 2 different ladies but they were all excellent. The CXO Amanda was awesome leading us through a game one day. The food was pretty good. Friday and Saturday were the best nights for food there. The other days I loved the vegetables and soups/salads but the chicken I got was never too good.

Suggestions: I would suggest bringing your own bubble bath for the Jacuzzi, as well as the artificial fire logs for the fireplace. We put in way too many bubbles once so be careful. And I brought real wood for the fireplace, so don't do that either. :) They do have that stuff in the gift shop but its pricey. Wine might be a good idea too. I brought a lot of nice clothes and it would have been smarter to bring more work out type clothes because we did a lot of physical activities in the sports palace. If you don't want to converse with strangers during dinner or breakfast as for a table for 2. They are accommodating to that. We got our own table for every meal.

Basically it is what you make it. It was fun but we did run out of things to do by the end of 5 nights. We didn't use the pool area at all though. Didn't want to have to change in a different building plus we had our own Jacuzzi so we didn't care. But they have that as well. I think it was still a great place to get away. You feel like your in a tiny little town full of couples which is fun. If you choose to go enjoy your time!

Room Tip: We chose the Cove Harbour Suite. Very nice and not over done. Some have a Champagne glass Jacuzzi an...
4 Thank Jenna P
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Nice photo! I like, 'a tiny little town full of couples which is fun!' Perfect. Thanks for your feedback. Hope you visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Valley Stream, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I just came back from a relaxing-romantic weekend at Cove Haven. This place is great!

We had the champagne tower room. The grounds of the resort and our room were spotless.

The food was wonderful. Each person at our table ordered their steak cooked a different way and each order was delivered right on spot.

The house bands were good and the comedians were right on the level with Caroline’s or Governors.

The staff at this place is awesome. Fran the dining room hostess, Dennis our waiter, Gena our cocktail waitress were friendly and helpful.

I don’t understand the reviews that say this place is old. It’s not old… it’s RETRO.

The only suggestion I have is … Please bring back the deer feedings.

Room Tip: We had the Champagne Tower Room. Definitely worth the upgrade!
Thanks, Evelyn D!
Charlemont, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We just booked another trip to The Cove for Feb. of this year and I couldn't believe I missed reviewing this trip! This was Our 1st trip to The Cove! And 1 of our Best! We had been to The Pocono Palace 4 times and Paradise Stream once so we wanted to try Cove Haven for our 21st Anniversary! We went in Late August (Aug. 24th-26th) back in 2012 and the scenery was just beautiful! Our room was wonderful & Clean, we had the Garden of Eden Apple pool suite. We loved that the Deer came right up to us looking for food! Loved The CXO's especially Honest Phil He was a ton of fun! The entertainment was Great and Food was Fabulous! We loved having the shuttle van to bring us around the resort as everything is uphill! We enjoyed both clubs and just loved the lake and sitting on the deck looking out over it with our cocktails :) Just beautiful! Yes the rooms are out dated but in a fun qwerky kind of way but this, for us is Part of the charm! Love the low key pace of this resort and all of the activities with both the CXO's and the facilities, you have lots to choose from or choose to Do Nothing and just enjoy being with your Love in your room away from the world! The Pool and Jacuzzi area is awesome! We Loved everything about the Cove especially Honest Phil! But ultimately its a Great place to "Reconnect" with your partner! & All in what you, as a couple make it! Give it a shot...we have ever, only had 1 trip with any issues and We honestly can't wait to be back in the first week of Feb. "the month of Love" to celebrate a very long year of struggles that we have had to endure over the past year and celebrate our Anniversary (a little late) & Valentines Day (early) in the Land of Love...we couldn't think of a better place to enjoy a winter getaway!

Room Tip: The Pool Rooms are just awesome :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aishae
Happy (belated) anniversary aishae! Thanks for sharing it with us. And thank you for sharing your feedback and photos. See you in February.
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Great time worth the money but don't stay more few days in winter. Food is really good and service is great. The room is clean but a little out dated. We have a pool and sauna in the room. Overall great time

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Happy to hear you had an overall good time. Thanks.
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Cove Haven is definitely our go-to for a quick weekend away. Minimal planning, all inclusive, we don't have to leave the property, sometimes we barely leave the room. Staff are very friendly. There is lots to do for no charge and the planned activities are always a good time. Food is good, not necessarily excellent, but plentiful. Drinks are a bit pricey... we usually stick to cocktail hour and bringing our own.

That being said, expect your room to be a bit run down. The carpets are worn, the furniture is in pretty bad shape, and the mirrors all have black spots at the edges. But we feel the rooms are clean and do not smell bad. We usually stay in the Cove Fantasy or the Garden of Eden Apple. Both are a nice layout and the in-room pool makes it for us.

The dining area needs a refresh, big time. We are early risers and when you first come in early in the morning, the place smells musty and gross. The servers are sweet and helpful but we always order our beverages in 2's or ask for pitchers because otherwise they disappear and you have nothing to drink for half your meal. But as noted earlier, the food is good and there is plenty of it so good value.

Definitely participate in the planned activities. Phil is a riot. Anything he participates in is fun.

On our trip we were somewhat disappointed for the first time as our pool cover had worn out and left a ton of little plastic discs all over the pool. We waited until the morning after we checked in to finally get into the pool and then couldn't use it until it was cleaned. We talked to the front desk and when no one came after about 20 minutes we ended up leaving and using the resort's indoor pool instead. It was disappointing because it was preventable. That cover was a mess. Putting it on the pool in the first place was a mistake. Making us wait and end up not using our room pool devalued the experience for us. Had we been given a bit better time frame for the arrival of someone to rectify this situation, we would have been more satisfied.

All in all, though, we love this resort, we will always come back. It is such a fun time, and a stress-free weekend away for us. We can't wait until they finally start refreshing the grounds and rooms as that's all they really need to be 100% perfect in our book!!!

Room Tip: Garden of Eden Apple or Cove Fantasy. Bring your own alcohol there's a fridge in the rooms.
2 Thank JennC153
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
We love your headline! We also appreciate your feedback and apologize about the pool cover. I will be speaking to our housekeeping/maintenance team to ensure this doesn't happen again. Feel free to contact me directly next time you make a reservation - PoconoRomance@covepoconoresorts.com.
Martinsburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

My wife and I booked a trip to Cove Haven for our 17th anniversary and we had a blast. Still not sure what all the negativity is about but the place is a lot of fun in a 70's cheesy kind of way.

The staff at the welcome center were very polite and explained how things work to my wife and I and answered our questions with no sign of agitation. We headed to our room and were amazed that the deer walk right up to you and another couple was actually feeding one right from their hands.

Our room was perfectly clean and didn't smell. The decor is outdated but that kind of adds to the charm of the place. Our room had a fireplace, a heart-shaped jacuzzi tub, a small heated swimming pool, and a sauna. We spent a lot of time in the pool, so very relaxing.

Our first night there was an international buffet that was very good and had a lot to choose from. My wife and I really didn't like the community seating but we dealt with it. Later that evening there was a live band and a comic. Both were great, the band was better than I expected and the comic was hilarious. Drinks are a little pricey but I epxected that coming in and planned accordingly.

The next morning was a breakfast buffet that was absolutely fantastic. You are also allowed to order anything you want that may not have been out on the buffet. I ordered a ham and cheese omelette and was pleasantly surprised at the size of it. That afternoon we left the resort to check out the casino on Mt Airy so we did not partake of any of the resorts entertainment. Dinner that evening was steak night and we asked for a private table. The food was amazing. My steak was perfectly cooked and the cheesecake afterward was phenomenal. Unfortunately my wife wasn't feeling well so we missed out on that night's entertainment but we still had a fantastic time just being with each other which was the purpose of our visit.

We will be returning next year for our 18th. This place is a lot of fun as long as you don't come into it with a lot of expectations which we did not. Go there with your sweetheart and just enjoy each other and have fun. That is what this place is about.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is not a lot to do outside of the resort. Lakeview, PA is a small town so be prepared to drive a bit to get to anything and watch out for all the potholes in the road.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Happy anniversary! Love to read that you had a blast. See you next year for your 18th.
Newton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

This was our second time going to Cove Haven Resort. First we went to Pocono Palace just to spend a nice time getting away from home. It was a beautiful experience, food was great. It was during the spring time and there was a lot of things to do! The room was to die for. This time around we went to Cove Haven and had the champagne tower. It looks exactly like the pictures, breath taking. The only problem we had was the food for dinner, out of the 6 people we sat with only 1 person enjoyed their food. We had to go out of the resort looking for food, it was horrible. The staff has always been sweet. This time around we went in the winter celebrating our marriage! Although it was cold there were many things to do. I enjoyed every minute, only thing is it's a little expensive for people who don't make much. We looked on Groupon and other places finding a good deal. We would definitely recommend this place, and have been! We plan to come back if there is more deals. This is a place we would love to come back to.

Room Tip: Literally any room is amazing, from the most expensive to the cheapest.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
One more stay and you'll be a Forever Lover! Thank you for the recommendations. Great photos too. Next time, don't hesitate to let your server know know about your dinner. We'd be happy to prepare something else for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
The Lodge at Woodloch
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to Cove Haven Resort? Share your experiences!