“Wonderful get away!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lakeville
Bowie, Maryland
“Wonderful get away!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Overall we had a wonderful time and planning to visit this resort again.
Breakfast and Evening Dining - Jenny, Dennis, and Fran was excellent made us feel very welcome.
Entertainment was excellent. We really enjoyed how they had the events planned out for us.

Bed - The only problem we had was the bed not firm and sunk in the middle.

Room Tip: The champaign room! Beautiful.
1 Thank jlhill17
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you jlhill17. See you next time. Please consider emailing us at PoconoRomance@covepoconoresorts.com with the suite you stayed in so our Housekeeping Manager can make sure that the beds are nice and comfy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Hamburg, New York, United States
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My wife & I started going to Cove Haven about 4 years ago. We go every year for our anniversary weekend. We always have a good time & enjoy ourselves very much. We especially like the Hot stone massage, we have stayed Garden of Eden Apple, our favorite is usually Cove Fantasy, next year we are excited to try the Champagne Tower Suite. We have our favorite activities that we usually do, tried some new ones this year & look forward to going back next year. the first time we went they did ballroom dancing in the gym but we arrived too late to try it, hopefully they can bring it back it is something we would love to try. I am sure I can speak for many people that CXO Honest Phil is the best and really knows how to get people involved. Food is always good, drinks a bit pricey but we still feel like its a good value. We are so happy to be forever lovers now. Can't wait to go back - lots of activities for a couples resort.

Room Tip: Rooms with indoor pool are enjoyable.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jerry W
We are so happy you're Forever Lovers too. Welcome to the family. You are going to love the Champagne Tower suite. See you next time.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed this past weekend for my 40th Birthday and a relaxing get away. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and want to go back but there were a few good and bad things that I did want to mention.

1. The rooms are in major need of renovations/upgrades. We actually wete able to check into our room about 2pm which we really appreciated. Our room was very clean (we had a room with the fireplace and whirlpool bathtub) but was very outdated. The carpet was very worn in certain places and the TV's were TV/VHS combos. I dont know if anyone even watches VHS tapes anymore. The water pressure was very lacking. It took over 30 minutes to fill up the bathtub. The shower was not better and 2 people can not shower together even though it is designed for that. The living area was not comfortable at all. To enjoy the fireplace you have to move the couch and if you needed a blanket you had to take it off the bed since there are no extra ones provided in the room. The couch was too small for 2 to enjoy the fireplace and the floor was too hard. I know this is picky but we really didnt get to enjoy the fireplace on a cold night which was one of the things we were looking forward too. There are no coffee makers in the rooms and if you like a little coffee with your flavored creamer (like me) do not plan on having coffee then. They only have half n half.

2. The koi pond we would missed had I not seen it and wanted to see what it was. It would of been nice to have bench there for people to enjoy it and maybe be able to feed them. Some of the fish were huge and it would really be neautiful if it was cleaned up in the pond and around.

3. When we went to do the indoor archery the girl at the desk was more into her phone and did not even pay attention to us until we said something. The pool tables are all uneven from overuse and aging but we still had fun.

4. Honest Phil was so much fun! We caught the tail end of bingo and ended up staying for the Newly wed/ not so newly wed game (and even volunteered but were not picked) because he was so much fun and had us laughing and really enjoying it. He is very entertaining.

5. Dinner was horrible. We were not told that we would have to sit with other couples (I think they should say something about that at check in) but after a 30 minute wait we were able to get our own table. Our waitress was very friendly and was their right away. After that we only saw her when she was bringing us our food or when we flagged her down. It was not because she was horrible it was because she was extremely busy! The food was horrible. It was steak night and the steak was very dry and over cooked. I had the chicken penne with broccoli which was too creamy and the broccoli was soggy. The first bite of my dessert I found a long piece of hair and it took me 20 minutes to get our waitress (who was mortified about it) and get a new one.

The breakfast buffet was wonderful though the next morning!

Again, overall we enjoyed our stay and plan to come back again.

• Stayed November 2013
Very happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for the issues you encountered and we appreciate your suggestions. Don't hesitate to reach out to me at PoconoRomance@covepoconoresorts.com when planning your next visit.
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Me and my husband just came back from a weekend at Cove Haven for my birthday. We hadn't been there since 2004, we always liked it just had other traveling plans every year and now with a little baby at home seemed like the perfect weekend escape. We stayed at Cove Fantasy, I have to say Garden of Eden Apple is our favorite, its just brighter,spacious and love the colors. We are forever lovers so we enjoyed discounts at the cafe and gift shop and also discounted price on the suite itself. We had an amazing time, there are so many activities, and not enough time,we take full advantage of the room amenities, thought the food was great at dinner both nights and breakfast buffet was rich in choices for everyone. Staff was friendly and accommodating.
My disappointment is the breakfast in bed is not worth it anymore, there is no champagne and its sandwiches with coffee in plastic cups and orange juice in bottles, although all fresh we enjoyed the real deal room service from back in the day ,now definitely you have to go to the buffet to get your money's worth. Breakfast is delivered in a paper box like take out, didn't like that.
Also I cant say the rooms are dirty, the problem is they need major updating and renovating, the whole resort does, from the dining area to the sports palace and the cafe, which actually serves pretty decent lunches.
Also people shouldn't forget that this is not a 5 star property, but rather a 3 star and be more apprehensive about their reviews.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Happy birthday helena76! We appreciate your feedback. I have already shared your review with our Resort Manager and Executive Chef.
new york
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to CH since we met 8 years ago and we've always loved it. The stay was always expensive, but worth it. We used to tell everyone how great of a time it was.
However, starting the last time we stayed and now this one I've noticed a BIG decline.
We got in on Saturday at about 8pm. It was a long drive and i didnt really want to go to the dining room so we asked if we could get dinner in the room when checking in and they accommodated us.
So, then we went to the room. The room was run down. The carpet had hair clumps on it, the couch was disgusting and there was no table to eat our dinner at! (how do you not provide a coffee table in a hotel room that has a sitting area?!)
When we woke up the next morning, we realized there was no coffee maker. I was told that it was available in the dining room or i could pay about $10 to get the coffees delivered to our rooms. And we found out later that other rooms had Keurig coffee makers in them and I also heard other couples complaining that there is no longer champagne delivered with the breakfasts, which was one of the ‘touches’ that my husband and I really liked!
Later that morning, my husband got in the shower and there was NO water pressure. It was literally dripping out of the shower head. We had to call the desk and they said 'they would send someone out'. So, we had to go to breakfast without showers and then we had to keep going back to the room to see if it was fixed so we could shower. I believe they replaced the shower head, but the water pressure was still horrible. We ended up missing most of the days activates and we were both pretty upset about it.
after showering, we went into the lounge where they do the bingo to pass some time and got a few flavored coffees and some other stuff. we were talking to the bartender about the issues we were having and she kind of just walked away from us. My husband told me after that she charged him 12 per drink and even after we were there for over an hour (bought pizza and something else) she charged us for every drink and didnt give us one buy back. he spent over $200.00 in less then an hour and a half.
Then we went to dinner and the food was great and the service was ok, but it was a busy night. but the the show was completely horrible, that was not CH's fault, but still... horrible.
However, after the show we went to our room to 'relax' and that was when the noise started. The room next to ours must have been having a party, because all we kept hearing was yelling and music and people slamming into the walls. It sounded like Spring Break, not a romantic Adults getaway. (and we're not older, I’m 38 and he’s 41!) but it was beyond ridiculous. There were numerous people in there all night and the hot tub was going on and off till at least 5 am. We didn’t relax, we didn’t get any good sleep and we definitely didn’t have a good time.
The front desk was sympathetic and let us stay a couple of hours late the next day, but it in no way made up for the horrible experience we had.
Like many adults, it isn’t easy for us to get away. We really needed that break and ended up going home in worse moods then we got there! I feel like we were completely cheated out of our ‘romantic weekend’ experience.... not to mention the vacation days that we wasted and the $1000 that we spent.
For us, there is no longer any advantages to being 'forever lover'.

Room Tip: we've stayed in them all...and the best bet is to go for the apple... most valuse for your money...
1 Thank gweneveres227
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
This is not the kind of review we like to read. We love our Forever Lovers and it saddens us that you didn't get the romantic weekend you had planned. I would love the opportunity to talk to you about your stay and see what we can do to get you back to the Land of Love. Please consider emailing me at PoconoRomance@covepoconoresorts.com with a good number and time to reach you. Again, we apologize for your experience and hope to hear from you.
Lee Hall
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We come back to this place every year because of the room privacy, good food, free comedy shows and entertainment, and absence of kids and single folks. The best part about this resort is that the couples that we meet during breakfast and dinner are always an inspiration to our relationship. The worst part about this hotel is the drab and dated interior of many of the rooms and facilities. They don't seem to have the money to keep things updated and fresh. The carpet was smelly and wrinkled in places, the paint was peeling, the mattress box spring was exposed with no bed skirt, and the rooms are musty. However, we will still keep coming back, because we always have a good time. We stayed in Harbor Towers this time.

Room Tip: The blush beds are the most updated rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank horselovercaligirl
Thank you for your valuable feedback horselovercaligirl. I was happy to read that overall you had a good time. I have forwarded your review to our Housekeeping Manager. We would also like to check out the suite you stayed in. Please consider emailing us at PoconoRomance@covepoconoresorts.com with the details of your stay.
Milton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were thrilled to be able to return to Cove Haven again after our stay in July. We are Bronze level Forever Lovers (working our way to Silver) and have stayed at all of their resorts multiple times over the span of a number of years.

We absolutely love the Cove and enjoy our time there. Once again, I am saddened by a number of the reviews on here that I feel are nitpicky or ludicrous (not all, but some). I don't understand why people continue to be surprised that they may be asked to sit with other people. There is no shortage of reviews that state such, and also state that private seating is available but there may be a wait. Maybe it's because I've been married 19 years, but while my husband and I enjoy our alone time, we also enjoy meeting other people, and we met some great fun people this time.

I see many reviews say that the resort and rooms are "dirty". While I don't doubt that sometimes housekeeping falls short, I find it hard to believe some (not all) of the claims. Perhaps it's because I grew up with woods in my backyard, but if I see a few cobwebs here and there, I don't bat an eye because I struggle with them in my home - they're back up the day after you take them down. There are things that need upgraded - no one denies this - but I saw a number of upgrades between just July and November, so I have faith they're being done as quickly as they can. So while there was a thing or two in our suite that could have stood a refresh, I would not classify our suite as dirty in any way, shape, or form. And a helpful hint with the jacuzzi (as I also encountered this growing up with our house): fill it up to the skimmer (it usually looks like a box on the side of the jacuzzi), make sure the skimmer is covered, and run the jacuzzi without anyone in it (put a little bubble bath in if you like, as it's a detergent). Being in the woods, your water lines fill up with sediment which can look bad, and can be mistaken for mold. Running the jacuzzi empty will flush those lines out, and no one will be in there. After you empty it, if there is any sediment left after flushing the lines, request someone come and clean it ASAP. This is something we do every time we stay anywhere that has a jacuzzi tub, and have never had issues.

I see people complaining that the rooms smell, often of smoke, despite it being a non-smoking room. While I sadly don't doubt that people ignore the no-smoking rule (and wish they'd post that they'll charge you $500 if caught, like other hotels do) our room did not smell bad at all. There was a slightly "woodsy" smell in our room, and it most definitely was from the fireplace. You have to use the Duraflame type log, and they definitely leave an odor.

I see complaints about the "all inclusive" aspect, and although that's also been explained ad-nauseum, I'll say it again: it's against the law here in PA to include liquor in the cost of your stay. Bring your own and drink in your room if it's that crucial. I don't know of any resort or cruise anywhere in the world where you can have all the liquor you want. Some sell packages, but that's as far as I've seen it go, and I can see how difficult it would be to keep track of something like that. Yes, some things do cost extra. Rule of thumb: if you have to leave the grounds to do it, it costs extra (with the exception of going to another resort to do activities there, and the exception there would be golf at Pocono Palace - there are greens and cart fees). Arcade games are not free (pool and mini golf are), but I've never stayed anywhere that they were. Yes, you have to roller skate on the basketball court, but I shrug as to why that bothers so many people. Growing up, our schools used the gym for everything: gym class, cafeteria, assemblies, etc. We called it the "all purpose room".

I see complaints about costs of things. Think of the cafe and gift shop as a convenience store. Would you buy your groceries there? No. No one at the resort cares if you bring your own stuff - bubble bath, fire logs, snacks, sodas can all be gotten cheaper elsewhere, and we do bring our own....every time.

Lastly, if you're in a season where something normally wouldn't happen, I don't understand why people complain when it doesn't. You can't ski in March. You can't snowmobile in September. You can't take a boat ride on the lake in November (it's too cold). Yes, they make snow, but there has to be snow on the ground for them to make snow. And no, you can't take the snowmobiles far - some of it has to do with liability, and some I'm sure to do with the fact that people live all around the resort, and if I did, I wouldn't appreciate random people running through my property.

So for the complainers - one last query: Did you ask anyone to fix any issues? Did you give anyone a chance to make it up to you? I see that some of you did, but many don't mention that they did. If you didn't pick up the phone and call the front desk and say "Hey: x,y,z, and what's going to be done about it?", then you really shouldn't complain. We had a minor issue and the first thing I did was pick up the phone and call the front desk, and the first thing they did was offer to move me to another room. We declined, as long as the issue was taken care of, and it was, within the hour, but if it had not been, or was something that couldn't be fixed, I would have moved, and it would have been fine. If someone on the staff was less than friendly or helpful, then don't be afraid to ask for a manager - on the spot. We only had to once, but again, it was remedied immediately.

Bottom line: as I've mentioned before in a prior review, this is a place to come and let loose and have fun. It's not Sandals, Beaches, or Club Med. There will be people of all ages, colors, walks of life, and orientations. Not everyone will be honeymooners. Not everyone will be married. If you're expecting some 5 star high-end luxury compound, you will be disappointed. And honestly, I wouldn't be comfortable at a place like that. I couldn't be myself. I enjoy the games and activities - even if hokey. I love the staff - they're like family, and couldn't work harder to make sure everyone is taken care of. Everyone waved, or said hello, and people like Linda V in the cafe and the lady at the podium in the dining room whose name escapes me right now (she has shoulder length dark hair, and has worked there for about 15 years) really make things comfortable and homey.

There isn't anywhere else I can go and decompress so completely. I don't have to do a thing. I can do as little or as much as I want, and no one will look at me funny for it. I don't have to make any decisions, other than whether I want to go play BINGO with Honest Phil or not. Once I drive on to the grounds, I'm entering another world where the outside hustle and bustle cease to exist. To me, that's paradise, and I love it.

As always, I'm always willing to give honest answers on questions, so feel free to ask away. I got many after my last review.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a pool. You won't regret it.
6 Thank funky-rat
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for all the helpful information and advice, funky-rat. Great pictures too. See you next time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
The Lodge at Woodloch
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Cove Haven Resort? Share your experiences!