“Amazing experience !”
Review of Cove Haven Resort

Cove Haven Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lakeville
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I recently went to Cove Haven with my wife and we had a great time. The drive itself from New Jersey was beautiful. It is located in the middle of nowhere which adds to the allure. Once you enter the premises, you are on a different planet. Ideal location for a romantic getaway.

We got a room with a jacuzzi. The rooms are nice and clean and add to the romantic feel. Breakfast and lunch are included in the package. The food is excellent with a proper 4 course dinner. There are various activities that you can do. Going into the lake in a paddle boat or sailboat (included in package of course), play pool, go to the night club in the premise, take a dip in one of the numerous swimming pools, archery, walk in the woods, spa, etc.

I would recommend this place for anyone who wants to relive their honeymoon period with their better half and to get away for the strenuous daily schedule. This trip will definitely leave you rejuvenated.

• Stayed: June 2013
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Love this reveiw Adi0007!!! Thank you!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Pros: The location and scenery were desirable and provided a quaint and comfortable setting, similar to a commune. Nightly entertainment was decent... but that's about the extent of it...

Cons:

Initial Impression: To start off, we found the setting of "LOVE" a little cheesy, though understandable, given the advertisement listed it was specific to couples and adults only for the purpose of creating an environment of romance and rekindling relationships. After arriving though, we got the feeling we walked movie screening from a 70's adult movie. At the end of our stay, we left feeling raunchy.

Costumer Service: I was very unsatisfied with the costumer service as a whole. It seemed most of the staff generally appeared only to be going through the motions and not interested in their customers. On multiple occasions we saw staff members on their phones or computers, and disinterested in helping people. The front desk staff attitude came off as "what do you want", seeming very self-righteous, like we couldn't be bothered.

Dining: The dining experience left a lot to be desired. Though the food was decent, I was expecting to be placed in a more private and intimate setting, instead of being placed at a table with other couples. They did offer the option of private seating, though the wait was approximately 45 mins on average.

Room: Hmm, how should I word this... The room was something straight out of a 70's scene. The resort has definitely coined the heart shaped tub and circle bed... and they've stuck with that ever since. The room was in desperate need of updating. The furniture, electronics, carpet were very dingy. When we entered the room, the first thing that hit us, was the smell of smoke... after calling and asking if we'd been issued a smoking room, they confirmed we in fact had a non-smoking room. We found out after the fact it was due to the cleaning staff smoking while they were cleaning. I personally observed this occurring.

Amenities: Very overpriced. They were selling Barefoot wine at about $34. Where we come from, that wine generally goes for less than $15. Most of the equipment and buildings were dilapidated and in dire need of upgrading. We chose not to use most of them because of this.

We ended up leaving early, because of a family emergency, albeit I think we would've ended up leaving early regardless just because of our overall unpleasant experience. We initially booked our stay for 6 nights, but ended up checking out after the second night. Our overall cost was booked at approximately $1600. Even with us only staying two nights, the charges of gratuity, taxes, two nights stay, and a $100 early check out penalty only allowed us to recover about half of that. I have yet to receive remuneration for the cost, so I don't know how timely I will recover my refund.

I highly recommend you look elsewhere to book your vacation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank anbbruner
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Sorry you feel this way anbbruner. We take a lot of pride in our customer service. Thank you for telling us about your stay and I will be talking to our Team about the issues you mentioned.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The idea of such a resort and the way it was conceived is amazing. As long as you do not expect, new, breathtaking facilities and you know what you are in for you are going to enjoy it.
Rooms are big, outdated - had a Harbor Tower room.
Food in the Colosseum Restaurant, was very good, but nothing chef style.
Really enjoyed the arcade, skating and the heart shape pool. I'm sure it's more fun in the summer, it was fairly cold when we were there.
Altogether, very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SarraD

Thank you for telling us about your stay SarraD. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pros: Speed boat and lake scenery was beautiful and enjoyable. Nightly entertainment was great. Food was higher quality and more delicious than expected. Pingpong and billiards were delightful. Massage was great, but probably not worth the $200+ that was spent on it in addition to the room.

Cons: Where to start? Check in stated for 3:30PM. We didn't receive our room until after 4PM (We were told housekeeping was a bit slow that day) only to discover that the 'non-smoking' room we requested had a strong stench of cigarette smoke. Being pregnant, we promptly requested a new room. Staff moved us to a new, non-smoking, suite. We stayed in the Adam and Even suite, which was severely outdated and left much to be desired in terms of cleanliness for the price of the room. Mirrors around the Jacuzzi were visibly damaged, cigarette burn holes littered around the jacuzzi and most furniture. The private, indoor pool tile was lifted and damaged substantially. All ventilation covers were caked of dust and rust. The carpets were stained and soiled, quite visibly, throughout the suite. The shower stall was gross, for lack of a better description. So much, in fact, that we made a trip out of Cove Haven to the most local market to purchase a bottle of bleach to sanitize both the jacuzzi jets and the shower stall. I can't say that I've ever had to do that one, especially for a room that expensive. As for the Cove Haven grounds, the entire resort was not maintained, especially the exterior of the buildings. Some building appeared dilapidated, with roofing caved in. The git shop, as expected, was extremely overpriced. For example, a bottle of M&R Asti, usually priced anywhere from 13-15/bottle, was a staggering $45. Sports facility/Skating ring was not maintained. When you walk into the Ice rink, it smelled of mildew and the ceiling was visibly dripping water onto the rink. The ice rink, itself, was virtually unusable due to the surface not being smooth like you would find at a typical skating rink.This is not an all-inclusive resort, as advertised. You will be expected to purchase your own drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages) while attending the nightly entertainment. They charged us $2/small soda (no free refills )and $7.50 for a mixed beverage, during the Poconos Tonight Show. I can slightly understand charging for liquor or beer, due to the cost factor for the resort, but I was a bit surprised that the all-inclusive resort charged for ALL beverages, water included, for the all-inclusive evening shows.

All in all, this is definitely NOT worth the money---- not even with a living social voucher attached. By the time it was all said and done, we spent around 1100 for this "599" package. While we would have been more than happy to cough up that kind of cash towards a weekend away, this "resort" was scored a single star rating from us. We will be posting our thoughts about our experience on Yelp and other review boards for future visitors to read. Hopefully, they will heed the warning and take their large evening rates and go somewhere beautiful in the Poconos to enjoy a delightful weekend away.

7  Thank kboyer001

We welcome all comments – positive and negative. Guest satisfaction and exceptional service is our number one priority and are very surprised to hear some of your comments. Please note that PA state law does not allow us to include alcohol in our packages. If any reader has questions about the issues in this review, please don't hesitate to email me at PoconoRomance@covepoconoresorts.com.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Let me start with a few positives. First, the idea of this place is fantastic and it has a great deal of activities from which to choose for fun. We particularly enjoyed the boat rides and the paddle boats. Second, the staff here is amazing with customer service, especially at the front desk and the boating areas. Every staff member responded over and above to all our questions and issues.
It is a very cheesy place and I can get past that. What we could not get past too easy is the fact that the place is starting to look run down. The indoor areas are clean and well-kept, but are certainly need of updating. The heart shaped tub in our room would not hold water due to a faulty tub stop. The room really felt like we were walking back into the 80's.
The food was pretty good but the restaurant felt a little mismanaged with lines for every meal even though there were tons of seats available.
The outdoor areas were horrible looking, particularly the room areas. There were tons of bee hives forming all along the porches and for someone allergic to bees, it made me feel like I had to make a run into and out of the room for safety.
There is just so much upkeep that needs done on the outsides of the buildings, etc. The roofs of the one section had totally caved in, which was all blocked off, but it still looked so trashy.
We ordered a romance package delivered to our room which turned out to be two tiny champagne bottles and two very small, cheap plastic glasses...the bottom of one shattered and unusable.
For the cost of this place, they are really not catering to that crowd as far as the look of everything. We went on a 50 percent off deal and were so glad we did not pay full price for the night.
All in all...great staff but horrible atmosphere. Lesson learned...always believe what you read on tripadvisor.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

I’m sorry you weren’t 100% satisfied with your getaway to the Land of Love. This is not usually the case.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

There is no doubt that the folks at Cove Haven read and heed these reviews. The last time I blogged about the experience it was lackluster at best. The food wasn't all that great, the entertainment wasn't exactly stellar... there were issues. We had a good time, but there were issues.

This time, however, against my own advice, we stayed during the week (Sunday-Tuesday) and things were way better than last time. Years ago this didn't affect the quality of your stay but I was surprised last August at how different a weekday experience was from the weekend. I will now re-instate my endorsement for staying midweek. We never waited for a private table, even with just one hostess checking in and seating guests. They have clearly made strides to curtail this problem. The food was better, too, by a huge margin. Breakfast is still always buffet which works for me. Dinner was buffet one night, sit-down the next. I liked how they mixed it up.

The Champagne Tower was awesome as usual but I'm noticing that some of the in-suite pools are deeper than others. This was more like a bath than a pool but it was still fun.

They earn high marks this time around because, for the first time, I found myself approaching my vacation with some strict dietary requirements and they met them really well. I asked for a plate of steamed vegetables at breakfast because my diet dictates that I eat meat and vegetables at every meal - no carbs, no sugar. They were very accommodating and I never left the dining room dissatisfied. Service was a little slow but that's the worst complaint I had the whole time. We were a little annoyed about waiting 20 minutes for drink refills the first night but they didn't have a lot of staff working - just enough to handle the influx of diners.

I was also pleased to see a fresh coat of paint in some areas but they still need to get rid of the stained carpet in the wedding chapel and the gift shop. Demolishing the couple dilapidated buildings near the outdoor pool and putting in another tennis court or tiki bar might be a good upgrade for that space, or just some decent landscaping. If there is one thing Cove Haven lacks, it's that. I'm all for leaving the grass a little tall to feed the deer but I'm not crazy about ticks or garter snakes so... maybe mow just a little further away from the buildings?

One last note: it was out 20th anniversary. They were making a big deal over all the honeymooners and one couple at the next table got a special dessert and a song for their fifth. We felt a little left out in that regard and, yes, they were told when I booked and when we checked in. Having them acknowledge that milestone for us would have made the experience that much nicer. We weren't offended, just a little disappointed. 20 years is a big deal.

3  Thank JoeQ1971

Happy 20th anniversary JoeQ1971!!! This is a very special occasion and I'm very sorry we didn't celebrate with you when you were here! Congrats on 20 years! And we thank you for your review. I will be sharing all your comments with your Team.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

First, let me start by saying I was a little scared to go after reading all the negative reviews of Cove Haven, but decided to give it a try since we live very close to this resort. With that being said, my husband and I had a wonderful time at this resort. Is it a little cheesy, of course it is, but isn't that the point??? They call it the "Land of Love". We stayed in the Garden of Eden Apple Suite. Yes, they do look like concrete pods but don't let the outside fool you. Once you enter your room you are transported into whatever you and your partner decide it to be.
The Pros: 1. Very private
2. Very nice and friendly staff
3. We experienced a very clean room
4. Bose stereo system ( I brought CDs of our fave music and it was piped through every section of our room)
5. Fireplace in the bedroom ( lit a log and it set the tone)
6. Heart shaped jacuzzi ( beware of the bubbles, one capful, I repeat one capful of bubbles, I accidentally used 3 and we had lots and lots of bubbles but even that made for a good laugh!!!)
7. Private pool( It was a little small, but it was only the two of us!!!)
8. Big round bed. ( little hard to sleep in without spooning, but if you came here to sleep, you came to the wrong place!!!)
9. Fridge and hair dryer in room
10. Perfect escape

Cons: 1. The food could have been better ( think wedding reception food!!!)
2. They need to put more towels in the rooms!!!!

So, there you have it, could it be a little updated, sure, but if you are staying to judge the room, than again you are not there for the right reasons!!!! It is cheesy and that's what made it fun for us!!! I feel if you really want the full experience of this resort, pick the more expensive rooms, they are bigger and offer more options in your suite. Go on and spend the extra money, you are definitely worth it!!!

1  Thank PAMomeeof3
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thanks PAMomeeof3! Like your headline says, everyone needs a romantic getaway! Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
The Lodge at Woodloch
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Cove Haven Resort? Share your experiences!