“Expected more for the money”
Review of Split Rock Resort

Split Rock Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lake Harmony
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Friendly staff at the front desk, however the Galleria is in desperate need of renovations. The pool was very disappointing: old, dingy. For the amount of money we paid ($$$), NOTHING was included. Our suite was big, but very old. I'm told the lodge is nicer/newer. The beach and lake were very nice, as was the mini golf (extra charge). The water park is aimed toward the younger age group; I'd say under 10 (extra charge). The entertainment center looks brand new, where we enjoyed bowling and the arcade (extra charge). The Galleria Pizzeria was surprisingly good and fairly priced. The Galleria Restaurant has a lot of room for improvement, however their buffet breakfast was very good (extra charge). Our kids enjoyed the ice cream parlor. If planning a trip here, I would highly recommend looking for some kind of inclusive plan, either food or activities and/or the water park.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vaishali M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at Split Rock Resort over Labor Day weekend, 2013. I had bought the meal plan, thinking that it would make it easier and it would be competitively priced. The meal plan was $112 per person per day for breakfast and dinner. At our first meal, we were presented a bill for about $40.00. This was to cover appetizers that were not considered part of the dinner that the meal plan covers. I cancelled the meal plan the first night and we ate out each day for a considerable savings.
In our first room, we woke up to no hot water our first morning. When the maintenance man could not get the hot water heater working, they asked us to move ourselves to a new room. In the new room, the toilet did not work. The plumber came in and made a repair and we were able to start our vacation at 1:00PM. The next morning, we did not have hot water in our second room. The maintenance man came in and replaced the thermostat on the hot water heater and we ready to start the day at 12:30. On the final day, we learned that the dishwasher did not work. We gave up and left the dirty dishes in the sink.
I would not recommend staying at Split Rock Resort. The staff is polite and tries to be helpful; but, the building is in desperate need of an overhaul.

Room Tip: Stay somehwere else and just visit the water park.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BrianL42569
Reviewed August 31, 2013

A great place to bring kids. The room was great with exception of our bed. It was a little hard. There were many activities to do, bowling, movie, pools, etc. I would highly recommend for my sons and their families.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank DawnS4902
Reviewed August 31, 2013

While traveling home from our summer vacation we decided to surprise the kids on our way home with a stay at Split Rock Resort. I called the "resort" from Pigeon Forge TN and after 3 failed attempts at speaking with an agent (miss handled transfers) I finally spoke to a very friendly and helpful agent who was able to book us in. For the next 600 miles the kids passed the time by deciding what to do first when we arrived. We pulled into the main entrance at 10:20 PM on 8/30, there was a gentleman in the guardhouse who was busy counting money and did not want to be bothered so he simply waived me in as he clearly did not want to stop counting his toll money. I stopped at the first "lodge" looking building I came to and waited several minutes at the counter for someone to assist. Eventually a bare footed clerk arrived and informed me I was at the wrong building. After handing me a map we were back on the road for the ride to the "Galleria" upon entering the lot, the driveway was blocked by several other guests unloading and we had to wait for that traffic to clear before entering the building. Finally I was at the counter, I was a bit surprised at the age of the building, the odor upon entering the building and the loud music that made it difficult to hear what was being said to me. I was provided with "beach passes", waterpark passes, room keys and ID cards. I asked about food on property and was told there was none, no vending machines, nothing at all at this hour. I was also given a map to my room which was "slopeside" and required 2 elevator rides. I parked the car and unloaded. When my family and I approached the elevator we realized there was food available and ordered a pizza, we were told it would be 20 minutes and our order number (79) was written on the receipt. We then rode the elevator to the 2nd floor lobby and began the long walk (and poorly marked) to the second elevator( I did find a man in a room marked security who told me the way to find the elevator). This area had an equally foul smell that continued to the room. Upon entering the room the smell was stronger and we realized that we were not in a "resort" we were in a very dated hotel with staff that could not be bothered to provide assistance or accurate information. My children asked if "we had to stay here?". At this point I called the front desk and told them we would not be staying and I would be down for a refund. I was able to check out without issue, I advised the desk clerk the pizza shop was open to which she responded" oh I thought it was later" back into the car and 120 miles later we were home. We never saw the waterpark or picked up our pizza (which I paid for upon ordering). Now I realize you get what you pay for and I have stayed at Great Wolf lodge, Hope Lake Lodge and the Lake George indoor water park and surprisingly this was in line with their pricing but way below their standards (almost 600.00 for 2 nights and one day water park). I think a 6 and 12 year old wanting to get back into the car after 600 miles at 11:00PM instead of spending two days at a water park speaks for itself,

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Willowbrook for a week as part of a time share trade. We found our 2 bedroom suite large, clean, well appointed, and very new. Everyone working here was more than helpful and eager to provide their individual services. We couldn't have been happier with our experience. By the way and for some unknown reason, I never give an excellent rating so this is the best I can offer.

Room Tip: Willowbrook houses the newest rooms and suites in the resort. You can't miss by staying here.
4  Thank Larry T
Reviewed August 29, 2013

For our last long weekend trip for the summer we chose the Split Rock Resort. It had both pros and cons.
Our Westwood Villa was a bit dated but much larger than expected and really nice. Two bedrooms, listed as queens but felt more like fulls with poor quality linens, two and ½ bathrooms, a Jacuzzi tub, a sauna, large living room and a galley kitchen. The villa was just a short walk to the main area of the resort but the grounds were not conducive to pedestrians. Very few cars stopped for us so pedestrian crossing signs would have been much appreciated. The staff at check-in/out were very friendly and we were thankful to have a late check-out of noon.
There were lots of activities for kids and adults. We enjoyed kickball, turtle races, bingo, and watching karaoke. The event coordinator was great.
Although breakfast was good, dinner in the Smokehouse was not very tasty, was pricey, and made my son and his friend sick. Meals at the pizza parlor and the water park were OK. The ice creams at the ice cream parlor were huge but I did find it odd that they ran out of vanilla and chocolate ice cream on Friday night and then out of milk for milk shakes on Saturday.
The water park was fun. The guard working the surf machine on Saturday was really great with kids and adults alike. Both of the indoor pools were cloudy but useable. We never made it to the outdoor pool, but it looked tiny. The lagoon had lots of algae but the kids loved it and the adults loved having a cold beverage on the beach. I had to bite my tongue numerous times because many parents thought that it was OK to encourage their kids to chase the ducks. We also enjoyed the arcade and the kids got some decent prizes.
Most of the guests were friendly and the boys had a great time.
I'd be happy to answer any questions.

1  Thank FamilyFlight
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Gate entrance ~ cost you $1.00 each time you enter the property, apparently this is a privately owned road and you are charged. Save your receipts from this, use them like cash at the ice cream shop in the Galleria Building.

Front Desk ~ Check in took a little bit slow, but lots of guests were arriving at the same time.

Keys ~ Totally unexpected about the keys, and shocked that management has not changed the keys to this resort. You are given regular keys to your room, the room number is printed right on them!! In this day and age, I am shocked that this is allowed in your resort. For the safety and security of your guests you really need to change this.

Rooms ~We took the elevator up to the 3rd floor and found our room. We were in a two bedroom suite in the Galleria. There are inside rooms and outside rooms. Those on the inside have no windows that look outside. Thank goodness we received one with windows. The rooms were a little dated, but for our family, they had everything we needed. Our kitchen although small, allowed us to cook and save money from going out to eat, which with a larger family can get expensive. Two bedrooms with king and queen size beds, the beds and pillows very comfortable! , in the living room there are two couches and one of them pulled out to a bed as well. Two bathrooms. In our room, someone had once drawn a picture on the mirror (graphic picture) when the mirror got steamed up, you could see the picture, and if I was management I would either replace this mirror or work much harder to remove the picture. All in all the rooms were about what we expected, yes they could use some improvements, but certainly fine to stay there.
Hallways ~ As you walk through the hallways, you can hear EVERYTHING that is going on in the rooms. In the evening we heard the snorers, babies crying, kids yelling, couples fighting etc, the walls are paper thin.

Activities ~ My family and I did a lot of activities, and had a great time with many of them; mini golf course was very fun and challenging. Staff vs Guests softball tourney was lots of fun, so many players for the guests team, but it made for a fun time. Would have been nice to see the staff mingling more with the guests rather than sitting off to one side. We played bingo, trivia, and many of the other activities in the Galleria building ~ Kuddos to Michael who did an amazing job with the activities. He remembered everyone's name, he treated everyone so good...just wanted to make sure and mention him, because he was awesome!!
Lake was very nice, my children loved the diving board, and when the life guards weren't there they had a blast. The life guards; when they were there very controlling and rude, it took the fun out of the lake. Note to life guards, allow kids to have fun! Family of ducks were fun to watch as they made there way around shore and on the beach.

Gym ~ Lots of workout equipment that you would expect to see in a gym, and it was a good variety.

Restaurants ~ Pizzaera ---good but way over priced!! Ice Cream shop very busy, understaffed, but who can resist ice cream....which was very good. We ate once at the breakfast buffet, and the food was good. Bel'lagos was a restaurant down by the lake, we went there for the all you can eat pasta night. We thought the food was very good, and the service was very good as well. They are trying to be more upscale, so the pasta choices for the all you can eat night weren't the best for children, but mine found something. Would be nice If they would offer something simple for kids. There is also a sub shop by the lake and the sandwiches were prepared right there, and they were very good.

All in all this is a nice place to stay, I won't give it 5 stars because it needs a lot of upgrades, but I also am not going to give in 1 star, because it is just average.

I covered quite a bit, but there are always things that others want to know more about and I would be more than happy to answer your questions if for you. I always like to add the following disclaimer to my posts....I look at the glass half full not half empty, I will be honest with you but you have to remember what I might think is the best, you might not think the same. Tell me what your expectations are and I will tell you if I 'think'' it will be a good match.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows looking outside.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to Split Rock Resort? Share your experiences!