“Nice resort in the beautiful Pocono Mountains.”

Split Rock Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lake Harmony
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice resort in the beautiful Pocono Mountains.”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Gate entrance ~ cost you $1.00 each time you enter the property, apparently this is a privately owned road and you are charged. Save your receipts from this, use them like cash at the ice cream shop in the Galleria Building.

Front Desk ~ Check in took a little bit slow, but lots of guests were arriving at the same time.

Keys ~ Totally unexpected about the keys, and shocked that management has not changed the keys to this resort. You are given regular keys to your room, the room number is printed right on them!! In this day and age, I am shocked that this is allowed in your resort. For the safety and security of your guests you really need to change this.

Rooms ~We took the elevator up to the 3rd floor and found our room. We were in a two bedroom suite in the Galleria. There are inside rooms and outside rooms. Those on the inside have no windows that look outside. Thank goodness we received one with windows. The rooms were a little dated, but for our family, they had everything we needed. Our kitchen although small, allowed us to cook and save money from going out to eat, which with a larger family can get expensive. Two bedrooms with king and queen size beds, the beds and pillows very comfortable! , in the living room there are two couches and one of them pulled out to a bed as well. Two bathrooms. In our room, someone had once drawn a picture on the mirror (graphic picture) when the mirror got steamed up, you could see the picture, and if I was management I would either replace this mirror or work much harder to remove the picture. All in all the rooms were about what we expected, yes they could use some improvements, but certainly fine to stay there.
Hallways ~ As you walk through the hallways, you can hear EVERYTHING that is going on in the rooms. In the evening we heard the snorers, babies crying, kids yelling, couples fighting etc, the walls are paper thin.

Activities ~ My family and I did a lot of activities, and had a great time with many of them; mini golf course was very fun and challenging. Staff vs Guests softball tourney was lots of fun, so many players for the guests team, but it made for a fun time. Would have been nice to see the staff mingling more with the guests rather than sitting off to one side. We played bingo, trivia, and many of the other activities in the Galleria building ~ Kuddos to Michael who did an amazing job with the activities. He remembered everyone's name, he treated everyone so good...just wanted to make sure and mention him, because he was awesome!!
Lake was very nice, my children loved the diving board, and when the life guards weren't there they had a blast. The life guards; when they were there very controlling and rude, it took the fun out of the lake. Note to life guards, allow kids to have fun! Family of ducks were fun to watch as they made there way around shore and on the beach.

Gym ~ Lots of workout equipment that you would expect to see in a gym, and it was a good variety.

Restaurants ~ Pizzaera ---good but way over priced!! Ice Cream shop very busy, understaffed, but who can resist ice cream....which was very good. We ate once at the breakfast buffet, and the food was good. Bel'lagos was a restaurant down by the lake, we went there for the all you can eat pasta night. We thought the food was very good, and the service was very good as well. They are trying to be more upscale, so the pasta choices for the all you can eat night weren't the best for children, but mine found something. Would be nice If they would offer something simple for kids. There is also a sub shop by the lake and the sandwiches were prepared right there, and they were very good.

All in all this is a nice place to stay, I won't give it 5 stars because it needs a lot of upgrades, but I also am not going to give in 1 star, because it is just average.

I covered quite a bit, but there are always things that others want to know more about and I would be more than happy to answer your questions if for you. I always like to add the following disclaimer to my posts....I look at the glass half full not half empty, I will be honest with you but you have to remember what I might think is the best, you might not think the same. Tell me what your expectations are and I will tell you if I 'think'' it will be a good match.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows looking outside.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AimIN4oneMil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Northfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed for three nights and it was an enjoyable time. The decor is a bit outdated, but everything was clean. Our suite had everything we needed. I was slightly disappointed that the "wall" separating the living room from the bedroom was not a whole wall, probably so that the air from the air conditioner in the bedroom could reach the living room. We tried to take advantage of everything Split Rock had to offer. We could not use the indoor basketball or tennis because they were hosting a gun show. As a result of that gun show, we also couldn't take part in the 10 minute Segway experience in the parking lot, which sounded like fun. We also tried to play pool, but the only table that was available didn't have all the balls and only had one to cue left. We enjoyed the bowling and arcade, the pools, and the horseshoes and bocce. We rented kayaks, paddle boats, and row boats. The lake was gorgeous and the outside bar was great. We played golf at the country club and had a lovely dinner in their Sunset Green Restaurant. We ate several times at the Smokehouse Restaurant in the Galleria. They had great burgers and probably the best chili I have ever tasted. Their breakfast buffet was good and quite a bargain for wha t you get. The staff was very pleasant. I would definitely recommend Split Rock to anyone looking for a great family experience. We plan to go back in the winter and ski at Jack Frost and Big Boulder, which we have not tried yet.

2 Thank Lisa C
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The acccommodations at Split Rock are TIRED!!! The rooms, although clean have old furniture, making the suites really dreadful. The activities provided are plentiful but you have to reserve what you would like to do. The indoor pools are nice, the hot tub had broken jets! the food at the Pizzeria was good- but they had run out of many choices. The food at the galleria was awful and not eatable. Staff at their upgraded restaurant told us they were sold out, yet when we stopped by just to see if there were any cancellations- only 2 tables had customers. we hung around a while to see if any more came in but non did! The lake itself is filthy and the water activites are expensive. i would not recommend this place

1 Thank Carol L

Travelers are raving about these Lake Harmony hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I really wanted to give this place 3 stars. This place has a great concept for a family vacation spot, and they have the makings of some great facilities. But they just can't seem to execute properly, and some things are beyond easy control. For one, the Galleria facilities were probably great about 40 years ago. What they have would still be great if they spent some serious money updating. At this age, everything gets grungy and unappealing. And between the indoor pool and the rooms with kitchens, the whole place smells a little weird (even my 7 year old kept commenting about it)

At the indoor pool there were no towels and it took 4 staff members to finally get us some. This in a hotel with hundreds of rooms and likely thousands of towels. One particularly staff member had no clue that getting us towels was more important than some silly procedure she was trained to follow. There could have been an earthquake and this lady would still be standing where she was trained to.

This is a hotel with 2 pools and a water park, yet in our room for 4 there was exactly 1 towel hook. It was like a bad Saturday Night Live skit. No wonder the furnishings look so poor, they constantly have wet towels and bathing suits hanging all over them.

The hotel doors still have old fashion keys - WITH THE ROOM NUMBERS ON THEM! There are no safety latches, and back doors to the hotel are propped open. I realize this is a mountain resort location, but you sure don't feel particularly safe. These are inexcusable lapses for any modern hotel operation.

We ate in several restaurants at the resort. The food was not bad, but the help needs help. They are understaffed and under-trained. Bel'lago's tries really hard to be pretentious, but they'd be better off not trying so hard. The food wasn't bad, but things were out of sync because the staff can't make you believe what some of the menu touches are trying to pull off. The ice cream parlor has good fair, but the place is grossly dirty. Instead of looking like an old fashion ice cream parlor, it actually is one and needs to be gutted and re-done.

This hotel would be a perfect candidate for an undercover boss episode. The boss needs to stay there undercover so he can see where he needs to spend about $5M to upgrade his hotel and retrain his staff.

On the bright side, the water park though smallish was nice for my family. It made it easier to keep track of the kids. There are also other fun kid activities that are not overpriced. Lake Harmony itself is nice (and there appear to be some very nice rentals around it). And the activities coordinator did a great job making things fun around the resort. That really enhanced our vacation.

Room Tip: The vacation rentals seems to be a better choice than the Galleria hotel
1 Thank JRRF
Nazareth, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I am time share owner here , and If I could I would sell it, but I am not sure anyone would buy it. Place out dates, nothing is ever open or open late and there NO benefit at all on being a time share owner here.

1) I was told they were "renovating" when I bought this but havent see anything being done. Even the new indoor water park outside wall are losing their paint already. The indoor pool area lis from the early 80;s with not a touch anything new. The movie theater was probably new when the original Star Wars came out and again....not even any touch up paint anywhere. In fact the whole Galleria area, except for the arcade and bowling alley is just plain old.

The Villa's are well how can I explain....dirty and old. The last time I was there , the bed was so uncomfortable, I slept on the floor for the week. No lie.

As far a time share owner, i can get past the outdated decor but , the discounted prices i get for things there are an insult. I wanted to book a room for a last minute weekend trip and it was actually cheaper to book it off the website then to be a member .

That was the last straw for me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frank M
chuck d, General Manager at Split Rock Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. It is disheartening to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. Split Rock Resort is always striving to improve upon our guest satisfaction & I apologize for the negative experience you described . Please know that as a Timeshare Owner, we do truly value your business. Please feel free to contact me directly at reply@splitrockresort.com so that our Owner Services Director might have the opportunity to personally further discuss your recent stay.
Dahlonega, Georgia
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I traded for this so we could attend a wedding in the Poconos. Just me and my husband . The rooms were dated sure but clean and there was so so so much room. We were not there for the activities. There were many church groups there and large families. It is pretty but the lake was not too inviting. The lodge looked not too good. And the waterpark and indoor pool were swamped. You see them at check in. People and staff seemed nice. Looked like a lot to do . Golf and activities . Our villa were Willowbrook. No in villa laundry but in building . Would I stay here again . No not really I was just in the area for a wedding but it is large, clean and in the Poconos. So if you ski or need some mountain lake time this maybe for you.

Room Tip: We had bottom floor 2 bedroom bldg one Willowbrook . Very large
Thank ms.go-go
Thank you for taking the time to describe your recent stay at Split Rock Resort. We take pride in our Resort and our service and are constantly striving to improve upon the guest experience. Feedback like yours does help us with this endeavor and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you all that we truly have to offer.
Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We took the grand kids to the water park, it was great for young kids. We had a nice room lakeside in the lodge. We saw a beautiful sunrise and morning walk on the beach. We also watched some deer take a morning walk on the beach. Definitely enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: lakeside in the lodge for a great view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Split Rock Resort. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Harmony
#8 of 20 in Wilkes-Barre
Lake Harmony Inn
Lake Harmony Inn
#1 of 1 in Lake Harmony

Been to Split Rock Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!