“Family fun and birthday celebration at the Split Rock Resort”
Review of Split Rock Resort

Split Rock Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lake Harmony
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Our Extended family group spent the weekend at Split Rock for an 80th birthday celebration. We stayed at the Galleria. It was a fabulous time for all. Stephanie Minetti- group sales took care of all of us from start to finish. Check in was effortless. The accommodations were lovely. Rooms have been renovated and were very comfortable. The banquet dinner and breakfasts were enjoyed by all. We got to really get to know each other over drinks at the bar. There were several age groups in our party and Split Rock had something for everyone from the water park to the turtle races and other entertainment offered by the resort.
Everyone who worked at the resort went outof their way to be friendly and offer assistance.
The birthday boy had a ball! We can't wait to return.
Thank you all and especially thank you Stephanie!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank saavyesq
srmarket, Guest Relations Manager at Split Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for your kind words, particularly about the Split Rock Team. We take great pride in our people and feel strongly they are, hands down, our biggest asset. Rest assured your words will be shared with Stephanie. We look forward to welcoming you back - be sure to let us know in advance!

There are newer reviews for Split Rock Resort

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed in Willowbrook Bldg 4 at Lake Harmony in the first week of October hoping to catch the leaves changing. It was beautiful. We were in unit 4118D on the third floor, on the side away from the parking lot. Our windows and balcony faced directly into the treetops. The view alone was worth the trip from California. The accommodations fit our needs perfectly, spacious and well appointed. We found the oversized whirlpool bathtub and fireplace relaxing after a day of outdoor activities. The kitchen was spacious and well equipped. The supermarket is only five miles away – important to budget travelers such as ourselves.
We are avid hikers and we hiked a different trip nearly every day: Hickory Run, the Appalachian Trail at the Delaware Water Gap, Promised Land State Park, and Bushkill Falls. On day we went to Pocono Biking in Jim Thorpe and rented bikes. They took us to a spot on the Lehigh Gorge Rail Trail for a 25 mile ride (all downhill) back to the bike shop – travel brochure scenery . I can’t recommend this excursion highly enough. Bring a picnic lunch. Hiking around the resort property in the mornings was also rewarding with wildlife sightings of wild turkeys, deer, and raccoons.
Don’t miss eating at Woody’s Country House Restaurant in nearby Blakeslee. Check out their reviews on yelp.com
Pros:
Beautiful views
Very comfortable sleeping to forest breezes and sounds
Friendly and helpful staff
Oversized whirlpool tub in bathroom
Wireless internet worked flawlessly
Guest Laundry on each floor – very clean

Cons:
Room showed some wear.
Bed was too firm for our taste.

Recommended: Yes

Room Tip: Rooms above the ground and away from the parking lot offer better views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chip A

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Willowbrook. It's great to read that you were able to explore not just what the hotel has to offer, but also the area of the Poconos. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have ready some of the other reviews regarding this facility and was a little concern about going but thought we would try it out since I knew the kids would love the water park. Drove up to the main building to check in and it was like walking back in time. The layout and decorations made me think 1970. The young girl who check me in was very nice and confirmed that we would be staying in the new section at the Willowbrook. I heard the girl checking us call house keeping to confirm that the room was ready. I could hear that housekeeping confirm it was ready and so we got tour key and off we went to building 5. Got to the modern room and wow, ugly and run down, oh and not ready. Place was NOT cleaned. Called the front desk, got some girl who did not know what to do. I looked around and the fireplace did work, but as to the kitchen there were no utensils, no plates and the couch was so worn out that the cushions were so low that the lip to the couch was even with the top cushion. After waiting a little while we went back to the car to head back to the front desk, but someone called my cell phone and put us in a new room in building 2.

Building was clean but had a funny smell. Room was just as ugly but not as worn out as the prior room. Fire place did not work and had to call to have someone fix it or turn it on. Minor issues with the room, A/C from the room above us was full of rain water and leaked onto our's and created a prominent ticking noise. Tub had a slow leak and the shower could not be turned on until you were in the shower since the shower head pointed at the door.

Water park was fun, kids had a great time. Not much of a crowd so there were no lines and we did not have any problems with finding chairs. No real smell of chlorine like I expected but the indoor pool had a very strong oder and the water was very cloudy.

We tried to use the bike trail and hiking trails but I was told they are at the nearby state park, so we walked on the street around the lake.

Because things were so out dated, we tried not to spend much time at the resort except to sleep and play at the water park. So the first night there we ate at Boulder View and it was nice. For breakfast the next day we ate at piggies and we all enjoyed it. The next night we ate at Nicks a little more sports barish than Boulder View. All the restaurants were nice and would go back anytime just not going back to Split Rock. Between the smell and the rundown look, there has to be better options.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JCMurray
srmarket, Guest Relations Manager at Split Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience at Split Rock resort. We take our guest comments very seriously and we will discuss the matter in our staff meeting. We are happy that your children had fun in our water park. If you would please contact me, Frank Rapale, I would like to discuss an opportunity for you to return to the hotel.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was a little skeptical after booking after reading the reviews, especially since we were booked at the Galleria, two bedroom suite. My husband and I have done alot of trades with different resorts The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our suite was very clean and had everything we needed. The resort itself, very well kept and clean. ( I tore the room apart, as previous posts showed bedbugs and stains on linens/furniture, NONE found) We were definitely"off season", so alot of things were not open until the weekend. The check-in staff recommended great places to eat and were very honest about limited availablity to some of the activities, but we were here for strict relaxation and downtime. Nice feature is that the restaurants are convenient and can do a take out and stay in the room. Yes the toll road is a pesky, but the resort is very upfront about this. We will definitely come back(off-season, since the staff did indicate that during the summer this quite a busy place, but of course! it would be great for families), I was also told that to get the Westwood timeshares, must be requested, which I will do, since it is right on the golfcourse,( to stay with golfing partners) but the Galleria
was not anything like I saw described on the previous reviews.

Room Tip: We did stay on the 3rd floor of the Galleria, for the first 3 days, we did not see anyone our floor...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cindi712

We appreciate your comments especially the one regarding our staff being friendly. We take pride on our customer service skills and the cleanliness of our rooms. Thank you again and we hope to see you again in the future. Let us know of your return and we can help you reserve the lodging of your choice.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We traded our time share and were in the Westwood timeshares. Overall we had a good time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The Waterpark was fun and the arcade and bowling were a lot of fun. The 2 bedroom unit was dated and could use some work. Carpet by entrance was very dirty, the rest looked pretty good. The bedrooms are downstairs and the Master had a very musty smell. The kitchen utensils were very skimpy and need to be replaced with usable sizes. The miniature golf course and play grounds were fun for the grandchildren. One thing kind of lacking were hiking trails. September was a great time to be there as there were very few people.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Doherm

We are very pleased to hear that you had a great time with your grandchildren. We have already discussed your concerns with the housekeeping department and the problems will be addressed. We hope you return to split rock resort soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed here in highschool and wasnt impressed, but then forgot it was the same place so I booked another trip 9 years later. Stayed here with our children over the March 2012 St Pattys day weekend. Left a day early due to a stomach virus our one child caught, while the rest of us were feeling a little ill- he had a fever and stomach cramping, diarrhea within 24 hours of being there. He was fine when we got there, but then we visited the indoor waterpark. At first- I thought- how nice since this was the middle of the winter in the Northeast mountains and the kids love to swim- but even they complained that the pool staff was lacking- grown men were aggressively throwing a basketball across children swimming in one area with no regard to hitting them- which I was almost one of. The wave pool was unhygienic and looked like it needed to be degreased. The water smelled and did not look clean. There was a dirty diaper laying under a chair. The lines were not long to wait in, but it wasnt that crowded. In the pool inside the hotel people were "humping" in the water with no regard to the children being present. It was disgusting. Swim at your own risk has a new meaning indeed.
The pizza at the shop inside was decent, but other than that- the hotel is dated and in serious need of new sheets and furniture, paint, rugs. It looked exactly like it did when I was there in highschool. When I spoke to the manager about leaving due to my families sudden illness since arriving she told me there was a no refund policy and that "many people get sick here because we cannot put the matresses outside to air them out due to the weather like we do in my country" And that they cannot "use certain cleaning materials due to government guidelines in the USA". I dont know where she comes from but its not a great policy to tell people that there is no refund for a place in the USA and then compare it to YOUR countries policies. She offered to post date my waterpark tickets for 3 months for the remaining days since I bought them in advance and I kindly refused. My kids call it the "dirty park" now. Sad- because I paid about $1500 to stay, travel, eat, swim and sleep somewhere that all I got was a decent pizza and a sick family. I could've got that in Philly. Thanks anyway.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank roxy-sean
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Sept. and this lovely place is empty. I don't know why all the negative comments, we found this resort to be all that we needed. We were on a timeshare in the Willowbrook section and the unit was a lock-off. Very nice, comfortable, and clean . You are away from everything and need a car to get around the grounds which are spread out. The main building The Galleria has everything you need, movie theater (one movie a week) sports and game rooms, restaurant where the food is good but lacks ambiance. Pool is huge, pizza shop and ice cream. Check in was easy and staff throughout was friendly. Sports bar at the lake was nice. Activities for the family all day. The cons are: there's an extra charge for almost everything, movie, bowling, miniature golf, entrance to property toll $1.00 (some recoverable). beds and linen in Willowbrook need replacing. Must be a rocking place in Winter and Summer.

Room Tip: get rooms in Willowbrook or Galleria.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul D

Thank you for your kind comments and helpful suggestions which are most welcomed. We are indeed working hard on enhancements to our property and we look forward to wowing you next time you honor us with a visit. Thank you again for staying with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Harmony
#1 of 1 in Lake Harmony
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to Split Rock Resort? Share your experiences!