“Good Location, Good Deal”

Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lahaska
Reviewed March 27, 2009

On Feb. 15, 2009, I stayed at the Golden Plough Inn in Lahaska, Pa. The inn is located in Peddlers Village, which includes a number of shops and restaurants. This was not my first stay at the Golden Plough Inn. I had made my first visit there the previous June on a weekend when the temperature was 90 degrees. My visit was pleasant but what drew me back was a card I received in the mail saying that rooms that normally go for $250 to $300 a night were available for half price over a period of a few months. This turned out to be a very good deal. I was able to reserve a room with rate of $120 a night.

On this visit, as on my previous visit, my room was in the main building with the reception area. Upon registering I was given a voucher for a free dinner at the Cock N Bull restaurant in the village, two $7 vouchers for breakfast at Sweet Lorraine’s, which is accessible through a door in the lobby of the inn, a voucher for a bottle of wine from Chaddsford Winery in the village and a book of discount coupons for stores in the village.

My third floor room was accessible from an elevator in the lobby (check-in is 3 o’clock). Parking is in a lot across the street from the main building and spots are assigned by your room number.

On my previous visit I had reserved a standard room for which I paid a total price of $205.61. My total cost for this visit was $133.27. While the room I had on my first visit was spacious and pleasant and included the breakfast vouchers and discount coupon book, as well as a bottle of champagne in the refrigerator (the free bottle of wine replaced the champagne), this time my room included a fireplace and a sitting area plus a free dinner.

When you walk in the room there is a short hallway. On the right is a closet the length of the hallway with an iron, ironing board, two luggage racks and an extra pillow and blanket. On the left is the bathroom, which has a bathtub, double sink (providing plenty of counter space) and its own heat control. The bathroom had a small coffeemaker (coffee, tea, sugar, creamers, spoons and mugs were in a closet with a mini-refrigerator just left at the end of the hallway), as well as shampoo, conditioner, skin lotion and a jar of cotton balls. There was a full-length mirror on the wall with the sinks.

Against the center of the right wall was a high king-size bed with a lacy canopy. In the front of the bed was a chest. On each side of the bed was a table, one with a clock radio. Next to the end table on the right was a bureau with a phone and lamp.

To the right of the bureau was a sitting area with a couch, lamp, coffee table and chair. On the coffee table were two wine glasses and a basket of snacks. On the wall opposite the couch was a gas fireplace that was built into the wall and to its right a television in a cabinet built into the wall. Catty corner to the television was a window with a window seat that looks out on the main street intersection.

To the left of the bed, on the wall with the closet containing the mini-fridge, was a desk and chair.

We had dinner on Sunday night at the Cock N Bull. As on our previous visit in June, the service was good. Our dinners—shrimp griller and prime rib—plus desserts came to $38 with the dinner voucher.

The two $7 vouchers for Sweet Lorraine’s can be used for breakfast or lunch. Both vouchers covered nearly all of the cost for our two breakfasts, one for three large pancakes and coffee, the other for tea and an English muffin. Our waiter was very pleasant and provided good service.

On thing I like about the Golden Plough Inn is that it has a reasonable cancellation policy—48 hours notice. In the winter months, when the weather is unpredictable and it’s difficult to plan far in advance, this policy makes it easier, knowing you can cancel without penalty if the weather is bad.

Peddlers Village is a short drive from New Hope, Pa. Even if you’re only spending a night at the Golden Plough Inn, you can easily spend time in both places. We stopped in New Hope first, arriving around noon or so on Sunday. Although cold, the weather was fairly decent for February and the town was crowded, making it a little difficult to find parking. We found a small lot with a central meter for parking. Although the instructions do state that the machine does not give change, users may not realize that until after they have fed it a $10 or $20 bill.

New Hope has many shops and restaurants, as well as an art museum and train tour rides. On my first visit to New Hope a few years back, when I spent two nights at a local bed and breakfast, I had lunch at the Logan Inn. As the weather was warm then, we opted to eat outside on the porch. This time, we ate inside, although eating outside in New Hope in February is not unheard of. We passed a number of places where the patrons were seated outdoors, warmed by heaters.

We were seated in a very pleasant room in the back of the Logan Inn. Our table was in front of a large stone fireplace with a roaring fire. The room has a very high ceiling and stained glass windows. Although the atmosphere was very nice, the prices were a little high. In fact, lunch at the Logan Inn—French toast ($12) and a turkey burger ($16)—ended up costing about as much as the dinner at the Cock N Bull with the dinner voucher.

Less than a two-hour car ride from where I live, Peddlers Village is a good place for a one- or two-night getaway.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 23, 2009

Stayed Feb. 18-22 at the Golden Plough Inn. The service and hospitality were excellent all the way around. The staff goes out of its way to take care of any special needs. The rooms were quite lovely, clean and comfortable.
The restaurants were pretty good. The new Sweet Lorraines is by far the best..and we ate there alternately for breakfast, lunch, dinner (and even went for drinks & desserts one night). Impeccable service and quality food at reasonable prices.
The Cock & Bull wasn't that impressive. Our server wasn't well informed about the food..and was slow. (it wasn't busy at the time either)
The Earl had very good food but was a little overpriced in my opinion for what it was. Still, the service was excellent and the atmosphere very nice.
The shops are quite varied..there is something for just about everyone. The Cookery store was one of my favorites. Any and every kind of kitchen gadget you can think of and even some you can't! The ice cream shoppe was nice as well, the kids loved it. There is a PJ (Pajama) shop there that has some very lovely items at reasonable prices. All the shop keepers are very personable and helpful with local information too :) THe candy shop has many retro items...I found a gum there that I hadn't seen since childhood. They also have a large array of sugar free chocolate & goodies. The antique store didn't have a large variety..but it may be the season. The proprieter was still a nice chap to talk with.
This was my families first time here to Peddlers Village and I hope it won't be our last. Just a charming, quaint village overall with high quality hotel, restaurants, shops and staff.
G.V./Michigan

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Stayed in Room 601 which is located directly over Chico's. How convienent is that for me!!!!! The hotel has 70 rooms in which many are located over stores in the village. Room reminded me of Williamsburg. Fireplace is gas and cozy. Bed comfortable and a King. Very pretty and quiet. Had a little frig and coffee maker. Needs a microwave.Hotel gave us a free bottle of a local vineyard wine(not great). The hotel also gave us 4 vouchers for 7$ off meals at 3 of the restaurants at Peddler's Village. Pick the Cock of the Walk- best Jack Daniels Wrap! Service at Earl's(expensive) very poor. Hart"s Tavern -good food but don't sit near front door b/c it slams alot and really is annoying. I told them about it...Go to "open Mike NIght" at a place in New Hope called John and Peter's. Fun. Also there is store in Peddler's Village (behind Earl's) that carries Western Wear. The owner's name is Shannon and she is so friendly and informative about the area. Tell her Connie/Mike from Annapolis said Hi.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2009

We stayed at the Golden Plough Inn again over the past weekend. Located in Peddler's Village if you dont know what that is, it's a shopping village near New Hope where they have unique shops and a few restaurants. We were excited to stay again after a wonderful stay last year, we were anxious to come back and decided to get away for a few days. They have a new restaurant that opened called Sweet Lorraines which was once the Spotted Hog restaurant. What a change! The breakfast that comes free with the room stay has increased to $7 from $5 and it was a fantastic breakfast. (I recommend the cinnamon stuffed french toast and the apple bacon... delicious!). I booked online at thier website since we already knew the hotel and they had some special promotions going on, so we decided to stay in a upgraded room this time since the rates were so affordable this time of year. We stayed in a Deluxe Room which had a fireplace and a huge double person whirlpool tub (very relaxing). The rooms were beautiful and really big. We were told at check in by the desk staff that they were recently redone. The room was above the Carousel building and they were amazing. Beautifully decorated, they have flat screen TV sets and new bedding, carpeting, they really did renovate everything. You have to stay in one of these rooms. For the size and amenities of the room, we thought the value was great. You really get what you pay for plus some. One of the things my wife likes whether we are at a hotel or the grocery store is when someone recognized her. It was nice to see some of the employees again that were there the last time I stayed. They even recognized us when we walked in and remembered that we recently stayed a few months ago. My wife was so thrilled which started our few days off on the right foot! They have a few specials going on over the year. We recently subscribed to the newsletter which sends you emails with coupons and discounts for everything peddlers village. They're great! We love it at the Golden Plough it really feels like home when you stay. Again I would recommend this to anyone looking for something special but wants to feel at home!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2Goofy
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend at the Golden Plough Inn. We were celebrating our anniversary and had a fantastic dinner at Earls Prime, located in Peddlers Village. Then back to our beautiful room with its jacuzzi, fireplace and antiques! An anniversary cake awaited us! The next morning we walked around the beautifully landscaped village window shopping in the unique shops. Then we went to the Cock n Bull Restaurant and had a great brunch, there was so much to choose from. Although we live locally, this was definately a "getaway without going away" We shall return!

Chris and Dan

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank PaBobo
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I always arrange to stay at the Golden Plough while visiting the area on business. In fact, I will add to my driving time for the sheer joy of the experience. This place is relaxed, friendly, and absolutely beautiful. The rooms are all different, spacious, and classy. I have had the opportunity to introduce the Golden Plough to several business associates. Each had the same reaction. "I have to arrange to bring my wife here for a weekend". Basic rooms are fantastic, but you can upgrade to one with a fireplace and hot tub. Try the Golden Plough. You'll be hooked!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Ricky_Worton
Reviewed October 25, 2008

Loved our stay here! We're locals and when my wife lamented that we didn't have access to a hot tub to help ease the pain from her recent knee surgery I suggested we find a hotel with one. The Golden Plough had a great reputation, was located in a great shopping/strolling area and was local to boot. The agent was extremely helpful and secured us an unbeatable rate for a two-star room in the main building. It is old and wonderfully appointed in and outside the rooms with antiques, vintage looking wallpaper etc. We had a third floor room with a sunken bed & bath area. Very comfortable king bed although I'd agree that the bed linens could have been of higher quality. The TV was small and tucked away in the wall on rails so you had it hanging in mid air in front of the bed but was otherwise fine. There was residual dirt in the bottom of the jetted tub which they promptly cleaned while we had a sumptuous dinner at Earls (please, don't go to Earls in a t-shirt!) that included some of the best chocolate layer cake ever had. Going back to the room if you choose the stairs over the elevator you will feel as if you are in an old style hotel (not unlike the layout used in the British farce Fawlty Towers), but very graceful and relaxing. Our room had the refrigerator which came in handy, and the jetted tub worked perfectly. The combo heat/a-c unit was quite effective and quiet. Couldn't get the fireplace to startup but didn't pursue it any further. All in all a very pleasant place to go to relax and to feel like you're getting away from your normal world for awhile.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deckm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaska
Rodeway Inn & Suites - New Hope
#2 of 3 in Warrington
The Brick Hotel
The Brick Hotel
#3 of 3 in Newtown

Been to Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village? Share your experiences!