TripAdvisor
Kutztown
Post
Inbox
Search

“Very good food and beer”
Review of Kutztown Tavern

Kutztown Tavern
Ranked #3 of 64 Restaurants in Kutztown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A family style sit down restaurant that also incorporates a micro brewery. We provide a full bar for guest and good food and a revolving micro brew list on tap. Banquet facilities are also available on site.
Reviewed June 30, 2019

The bratwurst special fabulous and the Reuben Sandwich was excellent. My husband tried the beer and thought it was wonderful. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the food and beer choices. I was great that she knew that the sausage had been from a local meat market and actually was able to discuss the beer choices knowledgeably with my husband.

Date of visit: June 2019
Write a reviewReviews (137)

Reviewed June 21, 2019 via mobile

Great brews, food and service! This was a road trip find that did not disappoint! Try the blueberry lager....

Reviewed June 12, 2019

It gives me no pleasure to write a less than complimentary review. Sometimes tavern fare is creative and well executed - and sometimes it isn't. Kutztown Tavern is in the latter group.

First a few positive notes: One, my server (I believe her name was Ali) was professional, personable and attentive. Two, the K-Town Tavern ambience is noteworthy, well appointed and appropriate for the venue.

Unfortunately the music was playing at an uncomfortable volume, not conducive to dining irrespective of the demographic of the patronage.

I ordered the seafood bisque. It was loaded with bay scallops, baby shrimp and other shellfish along with a little salmon thrown in for good measure. It was also over-seasoned by half. Very salty. If the kitchen is adding bacon or other salted product for accent/flavor, then they would do well to adjust seasoning accordingly. But for this problem the bisque would have been a hands-down winner. Bottom line, it wasn't.

The iced tea was good. Someone cares that it's fresh brewed and consistent. The pastrami and swiss panini was OK, nothing special. The onion rings (for which I paid an upcharge of $3.50) were disappointing. If a tavern is to make its mark with food as well as beer, then lose the frozen product. The onion rings had the taste, texture and presentation of frozen 'battered' onion rings. Edible, but not much else. It wasn't clear if the french fries (regular or curly or sweet potato) were fresh cut but I doubt it as any tavern worth its salt (no pun intended) would likely mention this on the menu.

For purposes of this review I will define 'Value' as the relationship between the entirety of the dining experience v. the price in $$$ for same. Based upon this experience I do not believe this restaurant offers much in the way of value, i.e. less than average.

I get to Kutztown Tavern on an average of twice a year when my business takes me to the area. I may or may not return in the future. I think the owners need to take a hard look at their offerings and execution in the food area and up their game some. Sometimes tavern food can be hearty and welcoming and truly comforting, offering considerable value for the dining out dollar. There is no reason to believe that the Kutztown Tavern won't improve and I wish them nothing but success. The restaurant business is brutal, wildly competitive, and very taxing both physically and psychologically. I trust that the owners/managers (if they read this) will accept that it comes from a desire to be helpful and provide information they may find worthwhile and perhaps actionable.

Reviewed March 19, 2019 via mobile

The Tavern is a great place for lunch. The menu is diverse, the service is good and the food is delicious. All this with good timing for good lunch with associates or friends.
The salads and sandwiches are good but my favorite is the seafood bisque.
Been here on my on time and some and the beers made in house are very good as well.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 14, 2019

Ordered a burger today asked for it to be well done.. got it blood raw! Not sure what part of well done isn't understood.

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank KutztownGuy

Been to Kutztown Tavern? Share your experiences!