“A Great Date”

CC'S Wooden Grill
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Description: Local hidden treasure of grilled meats and smoked ribs, pulled pork over a wood fire. Homemade sauces and sides. On and off site catered events. byob on our patio or inside.
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I visited CC's Wooden Grill this last Saturday for a date with my boyfriend and even though we came in a little late in the evening, ( they close at 8) They stayed open for us until 8:40. The food was fresh and exceptional in quality. I had a Coleens' Chicken Sandwich which was mouth-watering,( bacony and cheesy goodness!) and we shared a smokey wing appetizer( very affordable at about 4$ ) Their homemade iced-tea will definitely having me going back. Highly recommended, great service, and a cute cozy little place to boot!

1  Thank jacki2787

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Sat night at 7pm, we are the only one's there, hmmm. Ribs don't fall off the bone, they seem over cooked. Wings were almost brittle. I think they stop cooking in the afternoon because there is no dinner crowd. Then whatever is left from the afternoon is reheated. That's my theory, but I won't go back in the afternoon to see if the food is better.

1  Thank Lehigh09
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Some friends and I took a girls' getaway that included visiting wineries in the area. We were starving after our tastings, and one of the wineries highly recommended CC's. We walked in and were immediately questioning the decision based on the interior, but we had a personal recommendation and it smelled delicious so we stayed.

There was only one employee in the restaurant, taking orders, cooking, serving tables and cashing everyone out, so service was not great.

We ordered an appetizer of mozzarella sticks that were good, and pulled pork sandwiches. We were given a choice of perogies as one of our sides, which I'm not even sure were on the menu, and we all ordered them. Our sandwiches were very good, but our favorite were the perogies! We actually ordered some frozen perogies to take with us and make when we got home.

The restaurant interior was clean but a little too much like someone's kitchen. The bathroom was very strange.

If you're hungry for bbq and deep fried appetizers, this restaurant will hit the spot. It's a little rough around the edges, but our meals were so good we'd happily go back next time we're in the area!

1  Thank ankurtz
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I have recenly moved away from this area and truly miss this restaurant! Love that you serve salt potatoes. They are a staple in upstate NY and it was so nice to find them in Kutztown! I have one suggestion though...Change the name!! You do incredible ribs there...Give yourselves a name with " thing in the title is a turn off! Just sayin. :) But honestly love the laid back atmosphere and rusticness of the place also!

1  Thank Teresa K
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I wanted dinner after a workshop at the Rodale Institute. Letterman's Diner wasn't open and we walked down the street to CC's Wooden Grill. We opened the door and saw no one in the restaurant and we looked at each other knowing what that usually means in our experience. Reluctantly, we sat down because we were tired, hungry, and 2 hours away from home.

We ordered an appetizer sampler of ribs, chicken wings, and mozzarella sticks. I told the server to hold off on our main order so we can see how everything tastes. The ribs were terrible, I am so glad I didn’t plop right into the place and put an order in for a $24.99 full rack because they were tougher then shoe leather. The chicken wings were pretty good but the star of the platter was the mozzarella sticks, not greasy and pleasing to eat. So we decide to put an order in for dinner.

My husband got a Italian porkette sandwich with fries and I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with a sausage corn chowder soup. We should’ve stuck with mozzarella sticks but hindsight is 20/20…

So I watch the cook (you can see into the kitchen and prep area) dish out my soup and put it in the microwave, I was nervous because I hate microwaved meat. So she gives it to the server who puts it in front of me and I couldn’t believe my eyes, where I come from chowder is thick, this was milk, no joke milk with frozen lima beans and corn in it and tasteless dried out sausage. The soup had the workings of being very good, the flavor was excellent but it was actually watery, not thick like chowder should be.

I noticed the cook coming out of the kitchen and taking meat outside which I figured the BBQ pit was, I’ve seen places that have that outside my problem was never once did I see her wash her hands, constantly back and forth, touching the door, touching meat and never washing her hands, I knew this meal was doomed. Then she went into a back room and came out with a plate of meat that looked frozen I couldn’t tell and she put it in the microwave, my husband and I took a bet on who’s pork was being microwaved (please not we were the only people in there so there was no mistake on what she was doing). Food came out and my pulled pork was bland but edible my main gripe was it being lukewarm, no extra BBQ sauce was served with this sandwich it left me annoyed.

My husband won the microwaved meat award this night because his pork was like shoe leather and low and behold it was 90% fat, we opened the bun and asked if they were joking. I can’t tell you all well enough how miserable he was appalled that she would have the audacity to serve him a microwaved pork sandwich of fat, I felt like I was going to vomit just looking at what they gave him and I ran to the bathroom psychosamatically thinking I just consumed an entire pulled pork sandwich of fat.

My husband sent the sandwich back and the cook said to the server, “Your generation is so emotional.” I tell you what my tripadvisor friends, I am emotional when it comes to paying for garbage, this cook was a joke and she should be ashamed for serving microwaved fat to my husband. I would’ve been better off eating at McDonalds.

5  Thank arzado