“nice family fun”
Review of Crystal Cave

Crystal Cave
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Kutztown
More attraction details
Owner description: See PA's first show cave. Discovered in 1871, and open to the public shortly thereafter, Crystal Cave has been operating without interruption since that time. The one hour cave tour begins with a video presentation describing the history of Crystal Cave and the formation of caves. Guides take you into the cave and give you both an educational and enjoyable tour. Crystal Cave is known for its abundance of formations in various size and color. Over five million adults and children have been thrilled by this subterranean museum of nature. After your tour you may want to visit our gift and souvenir shop, historical exhibit, authentic Amish Buggy, real Indian Totem Poles, and shaded picnic park all on 150 scenic acres. Other activities open seasonally include miniature golf, panning for gemstones, Ice Cream Parlor, Crystal Cave Cafe, and Museum.
Reviewed April 13, 2014

visited the cave in April. The staff were very nice and the place was uncrowded. We were the only ones on our tour and we had a great guide who spent about an hour with us underground. The surrounding are is very scenic and pretty. Not a lot to do at the cave as the miniature golf and the nature trail was closed. Would recommend to families. No handicap access.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

As a tour guide of another cave like this one, I always enjoy visiting other caves when I'm in the area. When I told them that I was a guide at another cave, they offered me a free admission, which was definitely nice. We waited about 20 minutes for our tour. The tour started out with a video which was a bit of a bore, you could tell it was very dated. It went on for about 15 minutes. Our tour guide was fantastic, he told us that it was his first week but he seemed like he had been doing it for awhile. The tour mixed a good amount of humor and facts, and though it is a smaller cave, the formations are truly beautiful. I would return again!

Only thing keeping me from giving this is a five is the video before the tour. Really needs updated or cut completely, as the tour guide could have told us all of the information in just a few minutes. Overall a great tour and cave, however!

2  Thank CamHartman
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is the only cave I have visited, but I have been there twice--as a child in the 70's and recently with my spouse. It might be a little expensive, but the movie was interesting and informative, and the tour was fun. Our tour guide was young, but well informed. He did a good job of combining facts with humor. Considering it was a Sunday morning in October, the place was very busy! The tour group was pretty large, and you sometimes had to be standing pretty much right in front of the formations to get a good look at them. For instance, when the tour guide pointed with his flashlight at a formation that was said to look like a turtle, we were too far away to view it until the crowd moved on. If there were a number of formations pointed out in one stop, you might not be able to recall them all by the time you got in front of them and had a chance to look. In general, try to stay up close to the guide, if you can. The cave's website has a lot of good information. One tip: The cave's temp is about 54F degrees. That's chilly! We wore sweatshirts, and kept our jackets on as well, and we were very comfortable. The movie/tour takes about an hour. We arrived shortly before the next tour was to start, so we did not have to wait long. Leave time to poke around the gift shop! There is also food available, and a nature trail to explore (although it was closed during our visit due to still needing repairs after last year's Hurricane Sandy). Take note: You have to climb an outdoor staircase to get up to the cave's entrance...It is a bit of a hike, but do-able for anyone in reasonably good shape.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

For being so close to home, this was a very nice trip! We thought the inside of the cave was beautiful. Brought our ten year old son and his friend and they loved it. Especially panning for gemstones after the tour was over. Nice souvenir shop too.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

It’s definitely a cool location and a nice daytrip, but I think it’s just a little over-hyped for what it is, especially with all of the road signs, tourist volume, etc. They have a nice little operation set up with the gift shop, ice cream, snack bar, etc. The cave itself is pretty cool, but I was underwhelmed by the formations. There weren’t really that many impressive stalactites/mites or crazy mineral formations. There was a lot of plain rock, smoothed rock, etc. I still enjoyed my trip here, just a little bit less than I was expecting.

2  Thank Jason M