“Food has always been great, but .......”
Review of Cascade Lodge - CLOSED

Cascade Lodge
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had previously been to Cascade Lodge numerous times in the past for Easter and always had an amazing time. The Cascade is a very old historic building, the land around it is beautiful and if your lucky the horses will be out. When walking up the stairs it is a little off putting because of how old the interior is, but the food has never had never disappointed. The last time prior to this Easter, 2 years ago we didn't enjoy ourselves at all. The food was not up to par, also the service was horrible. All of the waitresses seemed as though they did not want to be there and that we were seriously inconveniencing them. My aunt ordered the lamb which they did not cook properly so she asked for it to be cooked to be taken home. They surprisingly told her that they would gladly give it to her but could not recook it because it was frozen. They actually gave my Aunt frozen lamb wrapped in aluminum foil to bring home. Obviously after this mishap we did not return back until this year on Easter.
So this year when my dad told me we were going back for Easter I was not looking forward to it. But we figured we would give it another try. We were immediately sat, there were probably only 3 other tables there, again this is Easter so you would think it would be packed. We were a party of 6. We had a young girl for a server who was very personable. There were barely any employees working. Our poor waitress was running around doing everything, she seemed to barely have any help. I only one older lady who was a waitress and one who was supposed to be bartending, I guess.. who did not smile once the whole time they were there, and one male dressed in a suit, but our waitress seemed to do everything including all of the table side cooking. She was obviously spread so thin so we did not blame her at all for some of the lack of service. It took quite some time for us to get drinks, and when trying to order more beer they were basically out of everything, which was surprising since there was barely anyone there. I have to say that all of the food was amazing. I had the escargot for the appetizer which I loved and even dipped my bread in the seasoning. For dinner I ordered the ribeye crusted in bleu cheese, my mom and aunt got the lamb, my dad and uncle got the special, honey soy salmon and my uncle ordered the trout which is cooked table side. The problem is, is that all of us were served our food, and the waitress now started to cook the trout table side. Another mishap with the burner not having gas postponed his dinner longer. While all this was happening she had no help from the other waiters. I had a steak and was trying to cut it with a butter knife because our waitress was cooking my uncles dinner. By the time we received steak knives, my dad and other uncle were already done with their dinners.
So in all we thought for the circumstances our waitress was great, she really tried her best especially not having any help. Our food was amazing. I wish that they would hire more help so it could be all around a great experience...

2  Thank alcavallo22

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We went for my wife's birthday, as we've done for years. The food used to be good and now it stinks. My steak was tough, mashed tasted store bought and entree came with a limp stalk of broccoli. The place was almost empty, seems like its going to close. What a shame, it was our favorite place to go.

2  Thank simmOns10
Reviewed March 9, 2013

It use to be a nice place but really has goon downhill. They have nothing left on the menu any more but about 6 items and Everything is served with boxed mash potatoes. Service was poor and inexperienced. Place smells musty. If you want a good place to eat try the Ferndale . Inn down the road. Awesome food and better all around. The cascade has fallen apart and it's a shame. We dine out almost every weekend and this place was one of the worst in many years. We almost got up and left.

1  Thank KKeebs
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I am a little surprised to see the negative reviews posted on this site. My family has been to the The Cascade numerous times over the past 30 years - since we first discovered it. The food has always been and continues to be excellent. We never have an issue with the service. Quite the opposite, it seems the staff all work together to make sure we are taken care of. It is a quiet, beautiful, friendly atmosphere with very good food and service. We are always pleased with our visits and will continue on a regular basis.

5  Thank Lynne V
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were last there mid Summer and had great food & a good time. This place has done a 180 since then. I understand a new Chef is there now and he can't hold 25% of what the other Chef mid Summer could do. The food quality is Walmart/Sams Club steaks, they act like they're rationing rolls (gave each of us only one and the waitress never brought additional as we requested), the owner is loud and vocal and can be heard in the back room yelling while your seated in the dining room. This may be applicable for a mom & pop truck stop, but not for $ 45.00 entrees!
Sad. It USED TO BE a nice place with great food.
Stay Away !