“Second stay...there will not be a third”

Inn of King of Prussia
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in King of Prussia
Chicago, Illinois
“Second stay...there will not be a third”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I stayed at this Comfort Inn only about a month ago and decided it was decent enough to stay again, since the rate is low enough to offset a couple minor flaws. However, the problems are just too inconvenient to overlook. Mainly, the bed is not comfortable and I tossed and turned all night, which is unusual for me. Also, the tub was very dirty. There was soap scum, hair and dirt at the drain end of the tub. It looked like the drain backed up and the housekeeper didn't bother to clear it and properly clean the tub. I called Gerald at the front desk, and he immediately came and moved us to the room across the hall. He let me in to inspect the second room to make sure we were satisfied. This is my second time meeting him, and both times he was very attentive. He apologized for the mishap. The first time we stayed here, there was hair on the sheets. Gerald brought a fresh set to our room right away and they were clean. I doubt that management reads these reviews since I see no responses, but they really need to make a policy of inspecting the rooms after housekeeping has "finished." Better cleaning and better beds would make this place a nice, albeit basic, little spot for a short stay. I like that I can hook my DVD player up to the TV. The A/C works great and the hotel is close to gas, restaurants and shopping. I have no complaints about the front desk staff. I have not had the breakfast so I can't comment on that.

• Liked — Good rate with online coupon
  • Disliked — issues with cleanliness and uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed March 9, 2008

The hotel is not bad from a first glance, but we were very unhappy guests by the end of our 4-night stay. You would never know it was a non-smoking property. We were on a non-smoking floor and could literally smell cigarette smoke as soon as we got to the third floor, either wafting up from other floor or leftover from previous guests. In addition, I could smell heavy cigarette smoke in the bathroom and even when sitting on the bed. We ended up on the side of the hotel next to the PA turnpike which was extremely loud. We did not get a good night's sleep any of the 4 nights because of the traffic. Beds were uncomfortable as well. Luckily, they were quick to replace the faulty hairdryer that was in the room - otherwise I would have been late for work. There aren't too many great hotels in the King of Prussia area (most are outdated and overpriced) but I would not recommend staying at the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We recently stayed here when we sent our daughter off to a nearby college .....the hotel is closely situated and convenient to West-of-Philadelphia colleges and is close to shopping/eating facilities. We were able to get a room which had a separate sofabed sleeper (for the same quoted price).

It was pretty apparent that this hotel needs to be renovated.....while it wasn't a bad stay, it more closely resembled a EconoLodge/Motel 6. For one thing, there was a telephone in the bathroom???? No, not one which would serve as an emergency phone, since the keypad was against the wall and not on the handset. The hairdryer (didn't use) was above the phone in the bathroom, on the wall, and a reach, even for a taller person. It just seemed that the "courtesy: items were oddly placed and not thought out logically. The coffee maker in the room didn't work at all, and the housekeeping staff never realized that the coffee in the basket had never been used, although they did re-stock the supply.

The continental breakfast was standard with what you would expect......an average selection, coffee was decent, the juice not so much.....hit and miss as is expected, but nothing to complain about.

The housekeeping staff turned off our air conditioning (they could have kept it at least on low, since this is Philadelphia in August!!!), so we came back to a stuffy, stifling room.
I'm imagining that once the Comfort Inns in the Mid-Atlantic areas have been refurbished into Comfort Suites (or at least upgraded) then most of these inconveniences would vanish.....again, it wasn't a bad stay, just not particularly great.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — shabby, unkempt
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Pacifica_traveler
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I have stayed in lots of Comfort Inns and some are great and some are just okay, but this one is the worst I've stayed in. They were in the process of remodeling and I don't hold that against them, but the rest of the experience can't be explained by remodeling. The clerks were clueless about the local area, we had to complain to the front desk to get our room cleaned, and worst of all when we got back home we were charged for a night's stay as a "no show" because I made the reservation in my name, but we paid for it with my husband's credit card and they somehow assumed that meant I had reserved a room for myself and my husband on the same night and then didn't show up for mine!. They are supposedly going to credit our account, but if I hadn't been reading our credit card bill carefully I would have paid an additional $108 in error. There are several other hotel chains in the area and the location is very nice, but choose another hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Terrible service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carolgae
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 21, 2006

The pictures of this hotel are very deceiving and the hotel overall was very diasppointing. The hotel exterior looks dllapitated and the rooms are grungy and in need of a remodeling. While the hotel is within walking distance of the huge King of Prussia mall and offers a very reasonable rate, business travelers would be wise to stay elsewhere. The continental breakfast offered by the hotel was lackluster and offered no variety from one day to the next. The bed was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on, and the carpeting was so dirty I didn't want to remove my shoes. The view from the rooms at the "front" of the hotel look out onto a run-down apartment building where the tenants pile their balconies with garbage and clutter. The service offered by the front desk staff was also disappointing, making you feel like a burden for every question asked. I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank 142Travel
Reading, PA
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Valley Forge after attending a musical in Philadelphia. Not wanting to drive home late at night we chose the Comfort Inn as we are members of the Choice Hotels program and have always had a nice experience at Comfort Inns. The room was clean and had all the amenities necessary, including the refrigerator I requested when I called the hotel directly to confirm the reservation. The girl and guy at the desk at check-in were extremely friendly and helpful with directions and such. One thing I would suggest to the hotel is to replace the kinda hard mattresses with pillow tops. It is always hard to sleep the first night in a hotel and a really good mattress helps a lot. The breakfast was a little disappointing, the waffles stuck to the waffle makers and the taste of the waffle just wasn't as "delicious" as I remember from Sturbridge, MA.

• Liked — front desk staff at check-in
  • Disliked — crowded breakfast area
  • Tips/Secrets — call hotel directly to confirm reservations especially if you are requesting extras.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DeeDeePA
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed January 8, 2006

We couldn't get anything reasonably priced in the city, so we stayed overnight here for a quick trip to Philadelphia. The hotel was fantastic - spacious, clean, free wireless internet, great free continental breakfast (bagels, cereal, donuts, waffles). The staff was very friendly too. Right down the street from the King of Prussia Mall and easy on to I-76 for a 20-25 minute drive to Philadelphia. Great value and location!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business